AA larger | smaller
MONICA AUGUSTINE Suddenly following a lengthy illness, it is with deep sadness that we announce the death of Monica Augustine with her family by her side on March 8, 2012 at the age of 52 years young at the Winnipeg Grace Hospital. Left to cherish her memory are her husband Mel Teichroeb, sons Colby Burton and Stephen Burton, brother Eric Augustine (Gail), sister Catherine (Don), nephews Mikel and Mark Rondeau and stepchildren Mike, Colin and Ryan Teichroeb. She is predeceased by her parents Steve and Anne Augustine. Monica arrived on May 24, 1959. Monica loved life, gardening, reading, working, but most of all she loved her children and her family. She made many friends during her short life. She was a great cook and teacher. For anyone wishing to duplicate her great cooking skills, they will have to ask her son Colby to cook for them, as she taught him all her secrets. Monica was diagnosed with cancer in April 2011 and the one thing she asked was to ensure that everyone knew what great care Colby gave her during her illness. She would not have survived if not for Colby's 24/7 care. A memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at Home Street Mennonite Church, 318 Home Street, with a reception to follow. A private family interment will take place at a later date. Donations in Monica's memory may be made to Grace Hospital Foundation, 300 Booth Drive, Winnipeg MB, R3J 3M7 or CancerCare Manitoba, 675 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg MB. R3E 0V9. GREEN ACRES Funeral Home and Cemetery (204) 222-3241 Condolences may be sent to www.greenacresfuneralhome.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on March 10, 2012
Guest Book(28 entries)
- Thinking of you today on your birthday....
Stephen and Colby my heart goes out to you both....
- Posted by: Sharon Desorcy (cousin) on: May 24, 2012
- Hi mum. Happy Mothers day. Im awful alone today. Wish we were having a big supper tonight :) Miss you, love you.
- Posted by: Steve Burton (Son) on: May 13, 2012
- Sorry I missed saying Good-bye to you my friend. I will never forget your wonderful friendship we had during our many times together in the country! The times we spent swimming and talking. The time you gave me to get to know both Stephen and Colby (love you both)! I'll be seeing you again in heaven Monica. Until then know that I always loved you!xoxoxo
- Posted by: Penny Kau (Friend) on: Apr 30, 2012
- I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted on this site. I read it every couple of weeks and see that more and more people keep posting.. I hope this site stays open forever so I can come and read these messages.. The days have been passing so fast since that day that you passed away on March 8th. And it still seems like it was just the other day that I was rubbing your back, watching tv together, and helping you with anything I could. I'm learning now that it wasnt just me that was helping you during your illness.. you were also helping me in so many ways. Ways that are hard to explain, but I just mean things like getting my regular daily things done.. and having someone to talk to about my problems in life, and understanding me.. You were the only person who I could be COMPLETELY honest with. The only person who understood me and could read me like a book.. I just reeeally miss you, even tho I know that you are with me in my heart. There hasn't been, and I know there will not be a day that I don't pray to you, and just speak to you. I LOVE YOU MOM .. R.I.P
- Posted by: Colby Burton (Loving Son) on: Apr 30, 2012
- My deepest condolences to Stephen & Colby, Mel, and to Catherine, Eric and all who loved Monica. I was shocked when Catherine let me know that she had cancer last April and very Sad by her passing. One of the cherished memories I have of our time together was when I bought my first house in Lorette and she offered to come and help me with many renovations and painting. She did a fantastic job....She will be missed...
- Posted by: Sharon Desorcy (Cousin) on: Apr 3, 2012
- Very shocked and saddened to hear of Monica's passing. Monica, Mel and myself went to high school together. It was wonderful to cross paths with her at our highschool reunion a number of years ago and then again off and on at our local Safeway. Monica was always a kind hearted, free spirit during our younger days. I am sure her laughter, kindness, and love for all will endure up in heaven. My deepest condolences to Mel, her children and all of her family. Faith Haack (Winther)
- Posted by: Faith Haack (Winther) (old friend and childhood neighbour) on: Apr 1, 2012
- On behalf of my parents (Anne & Louis Bednar) and myself, I wish to express my deepest sympathy to Monica's children and husband and to Eric and Catherine, her brother and sister, and all family members. It was a shock to hear of her passing, too young, too soon. I remember Monica as a vibrant and vivacious young girl with a lively zest for life. May you find comfort in Christ's promise of eternal peace for her and always know the love she gave you in your hearts.
Lucille Bednar Williams
- Posted by: Lucille Bednar Williams (Friend) on: Mar 19, 2012
- Well, 18 years is a significant part of anyone's life…The result? Well, most importantly…two grown, mature, caring men who loved and cherished the one they called their Mother. I am wrought with emotion as I write this passage which evokes so very many good memories.
I feel the pain and anguish that my sons endure at this time of loss and extend my condolences to all of her family and friends.
Rest in Peace.
- Posted by: Ed Burton (Father to Stephen and Colby) on: Mar 16, 2012
- I spoke to Monica a few months ago after I heard about her illness. Then a few weeks ago, I was thinking of calling her but didn't want to disturb her as I recall her being weak when we did talk. So when I heard about her passing, I kicked myself. Monica, I'll never forget you, always smiling & in a positive mood. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you & all your family at time.
- Posted by: E. Campbell / Montreal (Friend) on: Mar 15, 2012
- Our deepest condolences to Monica's family. Be kind to each other !!!
- Posted by: The Summerton's (Sister In Law) on: Mar 14, 2012
- My condolences to the Augustine family and to Monica's precious boys. I remember a bold, beautiful and smart Monica, we were classmates at Lorette Collegiate and knowing her spirit then I'm sure she fought diligently against this battle. May she rest in peace.
- Posted by: Yvonne Dupuis (Desorcy) (School friend) on: Mar 14, 2012
- My deepest sympathies to Steve, Colby, Mel and family. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you all during this difficult time. xoxo
- Posted by: Meaghan O'Neill (Friend) on: Mar 13, 2012
- Denise and I were shocked to hear of Monica's passing. To all of the family, our thoughts are with you but particularly Catherine! Take comfort in knowing she is in a better place.
- Posted by: Rickey and Denise Keep (Friends of Catherine) on: Mar 13, 2012
- Monica was an inspiration to all women who felt they could not be independent...well she was and a very hard worker, there was no challenge she would not under take...from renovations to customer service she was a person whose smile would make you smile...she was never afraid to dirty her hands and then could dress up in the most modern attires..her devotion to her sons was very visible and now her teachings are passed down to them to always be reminded of her...to the young men that they are now, may happy times give you comfort and that her BIG smile will ALWAYS watch over you..she was a trooper....
- Posted by: David & Elsie Shale (Cousin (Anne Augustine & Julie Korotash were sisters)) on: Mar 13, 2012
- I recieved the tragic news from my son Tyler who along with Steven, Bronson and Colby grew up with each other as kids and to this day still make contact with each other. Our deepest regrets go out to the Family and as well to Ed Burton. Monica will be missed by all of us.
- Posted by: Bruce & Bonnie McGregor (neighbours in Lorrette) on: Mar 12, 2012
- My deepest condolences to Monica's boys, Catherine and Eric. I remember going to the Augustine Farm many years ago, listening to Monica and Catherine play their band instruments and loving the wonderful meals their Mom cooked. Great memories I will never forget. My deepest sympathies to all who were blessed knowing Monica.
- Posted by: Lynda Landry (School Friends) on: Mar 12, 2012
- I just want to express my thanks to all of the people who took the time to post on this site. It is helping me get through these difficult days, and I am sure it will help her sons, Stephen and Colby and her nephews Mikel and Mark as well, just being able to read your posts and know that she was remembered is a great comfort to all of us. Thank you
- Posted by: Catherine Augustine (Sister) on: Mar 12, 2012
- I loved my aunty like a second mother. I could ALWAYS count on her to help me with my own life and she contributed so much to my upbringing that I will never forget her or all the things she has done for me and my brothers...I love you Aunty Monica, I know you are resting in peace and I will always cherish your memory...I wish I could hear you tell me you love me one more time, but I will see you soon enough when my physical life comes to an end as well...say hi to grandpa and grandma for me, and my dad too if you see him. Love you forever. Mikel
- Posted by: Mikel Rondeau (Nephew) on: Mar 12, 2012
- I am sad today to learn of Monica's passing. She fought a good fight and was ever optimistic about the future. Her smile, her laugh, her sense of humour, her love for life itself, was a delight to all who knew her. Monica's life was a living proof of the old saying: "The value of life is not measured in how many years you have lived but rather in how you lived those number of years." Monica lived life to the fullest every minute of every day. She has left me a treasure chest of memories. She will be dearly missed. With loving thoughts, Aunty Shirley
- Posted by: Shirley Augustine (Aunt by marriage---my husband Earl and Monica's father were brothers) on: Mar 12, 2012
- I was shocked to see a friend's name from my childhood in Sat Free Press. I haven't seen or talked with Monica (Cathy or Eric) for along time. I will remember the good times going out to the farm & playing with all of the Augustine kids. Where does time go? They say the young days are for making memories & our older years are the times to remember them (which we will). I will cherish the memories I have of Monica as her children will. We know she is in a better place. Love from the whole family.
- Posted by: Debbie Griffiths (Daughter of Walter & Pauline Bartosh). Monica's father & my father were childhood friends. ) on: Mar 11, 2012
- Got this news from Eric. My sincere condolences to family. Too young to leave us.
- Posted by: bernice miles (cousin) on: Mar 11, 2012
- I knew Monica very shortly as a child. We played together on Uncle Steve's farm. Catherine and Eric were there then too. I wish that I could meet Monica's brave son, Colby. Your pain and loss is great. Monica must have been a great mom to have been loved and cared for so well by Colby. My tears are for her family who knew her well. My condolences.
- Posted by: Vanessa Meyer (Cousin) on: Mar 11, 2012
- Wow we are all very shocked to hear about Monica, our boys would always play together when they were younger. I do remember her great cooking skills. Our condolences to her family....
- Posted by: Patricia, Robert & Bryan Burton (Ex-Sister in Law, and Cousins) on: Mar 11, 2012
- We are so sorry for your family's great loss, to Catherine.
- Posted by: Chritine & Danny Enns & Family (cousin in laws) on: Mar 10, 2012
- When your heart is empty, filing it with happy memories can help you find your smile. Monica did that! We had many good family visits together. We will always remember our good times, our Christmas parties at Advance, driving home in a snow storm, our chats and those yummy chicken wings etc...Boys, when the pain is so unkind just look and you'll find her there in your heart and your mind. Our deepest sympathy to you all! The Trudeau's xoxo
- Posted by: Louise & Duck Trudeau (Friends) on: Mar 10, 2012
- I spent the last year caring for ny mom, Monica, and during that time we became very close .. she was my best friend .. we shared everything together. I kept her comfort and also kept her keeping faith in the chemotherapy that had been working.. I love her so much and know she is without pain and suffer now that she is in God's hands .. she fought so hard each and every day, with me along her side every step if the way.. I pray to ur bedside every morning and every night. It makes it easier because I never missed a night of tucking you into bed, at night .. and bringing you breakfasts and medication, in the mornings every morning .. now you are in heaven and get to be with your mom and dad, who I know you loved so much .. R.I.P mother ... I LOVE YOU , AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART ...xoxoxoxo..your loving son Colby
- Posted by: colby burton (loving son) on: Mar 10, 2012
- Really upset and sorry for the loss of Monica, she was a great mom to her boys and sister to Catherine and Eric. She was such a force of nature really sad that God chose to take her at this time. Take care.
- Posted by: Suzanne Clement (A friend from a long time ago) on: Mar 10, 2012
- We are so very sorry for your loss (& also rather shocked). Mike remembers Monica most from childhood--relatives getting together for various events. I (Sande) enjoyed the few conversations we had over the table at numerous "socials" as the cousins grew up and became married. Fairly opinionated as I recall--knew her mind!
- Posted by: Michael & Sande Konechny & family (cousin (Anne Augustine & Mary Konechny were sisters)) on: Mar 10, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.