AA larger | smaller
JAMES DAN LAIRD It is with sorrow and deep sadness the family announces the sudden passing of Jim, beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend who passed away March 21, 2012. Left to forever cherish Jim's memory is his loving wife Ina of 47 years, daughter Brenda Koreen Einarson and husband Bruce, grandchildren Hannah, Melonie, Magnus, Dallas and MacKenzie, brothers Frank, Steve (Gerry), sisters Elizabeth (Dave), Jackui, Kathy (Ron), many aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces. He was predeceased by his son Kevin James, parents John and Cecile, brother-in-law Dennis Hiebert. Jim was born in Winnipeg in 1942, he grew up in St. Charles, and at a early age became a avid golfer. As a teenager he became a Manitoba Junior Champion. In 1965 he married Ina Lou Morrison. After spending 2½ years in Thompson where Jim mined underground, they returned to Warren where they raised their two children. Jim worked at Standard Aero for a number of years, but his love was golf, he was one of the founders of the SIGCC where he served as Greenskeeper and Pro Shop Manager. Jim was fond of all sports, was a avid curler, served as coach for the Warren Merc's hockey team and Meadows Knights baseball. Jim enjoyed his years working at Chapel Lawn and later retiring continued to spend summers mowing grass. Jim and Ina spent five wonderful winters in Ranchero Village in Weslaco, Texas, golfing and engaging in numerous social activities. A celebration of Jim's life will be held at the 55 Plus Centre in Stonewall on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. All friends and relatives are invited to join in the celebration. A special thanks to those special friends in Ranchero Village and Warren for their tireless efforts on behalf of the family. Donations may be made to the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Publish Date: Apr 14, 2012
JAMES DAN LAIRD Jim beloved husband of Ina, passed away Wednesday, March 21, 2012, at Weslaco, Texas. A celebration of his life will take place at the 55 Plus, Stonewall, on April 21, 2012. Longer obituary to follow.
Publish Date: Apr 14, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on April 14, 2012
Guest Book(16 entries)
- We had the privilege of knowing Jim at Ranchero Village. Dan so enjoyed the evenings spent with Jim going to the dog races in Harlingen. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of sorrow.
- Posted by: Bonnie and Dan Baird (Ranchero Village Friends) on: Apr 23, 2012
- Ina: We're so sorry to hear about Jim. I had the good fortune of several golf games with Jim and highly respected and enjoyed his gentlemanly character. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Jack and Shirley
- Posted by: Jack & Shirley Nelson (Ranchero friends) on: Apr 21, 2012
- A very special guy, quietly modest and caring. Loved the game yet seemed reluctant to expound on his own accomplishments, a rare characteristic. Will miss him.
- Posted by: Elwin Chase (Fellow Golfer,Ranchero Village) on: Apr 16, 2012
- Ina, Linda and I are finding it very difficult to put into words how much we shall miss Jimmy. A part of our little Winter Texan family is gone and it is a big hole. We loved Jim's quiet sense of humour and wonderful smile. We won't be able to make it on the 21st but we will be thinking of you and your family and of course of Jimmy. Please take care and we will keep in touch. Love Kirk & Linda
- Posted by: Kirk & Linda Baird (Your Weslaco, Texas Family) on: Apr 14, 2012
- We are so sorry for your loss, our deepest condolences to you and your family.
- Posted by: Rick & Carol Miller on: Apr 13, 2012
- Please accept my sincerest condolences on Jim's passing. He was one of the nicest person I have ever met. He made my day before work by smiling and giving a friendly wave. I also enjoyed the talks we would have early in the mornings. I know somewhere out there Jim is playing a perfect golf game.
- Posted by: Dorothy on: Apr 6, 2012
- Our sincere condolences to you and your family Ina on the untimely passing of Jim. He will be sadly missed by so many friends at South Interlake where he worked so diligently to develop and improve the course for us all. Our thoughts are with you at this very difficult time.
- Posted by: Fred & Laura Ross (Friends) on: Apr 4, 2012
- I have worked with Jim for the past 17 years. I know I can speak on behalf of all "the guys" in that we will miss Jim very much. "Just like Downtown"
- Posted by: Dan Skakum (Co worker and Friend) on: Apr 2, 2012
- Our deepest sympathy on the loss of your Husband, father and grandfather.
- Posted by: Chris & Cathy Hill (Friends) on: Apr 1, 2012
- Our sympathies to the family, sorry to hear about James. Sympathies to Elizabeth, Jacquie, Frankie and Steven. James was my favorite little cousin. Will be thinking of you all.
- Posted by: Doreen Prefontaine(DesLauriers) (1st. cousin) on: Mar 28, 2012
- My sincere condolences to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm sure he will find an awesome golf course in heaven. South Interlake would not have been here without him.
- Posted by: Daphne Harris (Friend) on: Mar 27, 2012
- Ina - News of Jim's passing reached us here in Goderich. Bill so respected Jim and always looked forward to their golf games. Our prayers are with you. Bill and Anne
- Posted by: Bill and Anne McIsaac (Ranchero Friends) on: Mar 27, 2012
- Jim Laird was a true country gentleman. I met Jim when I first joined South Interlake and was fortunate to have had the opportunity to play a number of rounds of golf with him. As a newcomer at the time, he made me feel welcome right from the start and I was very grateful for his graciousness. Jimbo
- Posted by: Jim Campbell (Friend - Admirer) on: Mar 27, 2012
We feel fortunate to call you and Jim friends. He was such a great man and will truly be missed by many. His smile warmed many a heart. And his jokes will be remembered for years. Our love and prayers, John and Anita
- Posted by: John and Anita Moorhead (Friends) on: Mar 26, 2012
- Thinking of you and the family during this stressful time -
- Posted by: Ron & Carol Hardie (Friends) on: Mar 26, 2012
- I worked with Jim for three years in the early 90's at the South Interlake Golf and Country Club. He always made me laugh! I am so sorry, Ina, for your loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences. Take care.
- Posted by: Leslie Hardy (Knew Jim from SIG&CC) on: Mar 26, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.