AA larger | smaller
MARY NICHOLL ALSTADT Mary was born on May 29, 1920, in Jedburgh, Scotland and arrived in Canada in her mother's arms at the age of four months. She grew up and received her education in the Woodmore and Greenridge communities. In 1943 she married Henry Alstadt, and together they farmed in Greenridge, Manitoba. Mary especially enjoyed visiting and playing cards with her friends and neighbours and participating in the various social activities in her community. Their many motor home jaunts to White and Moose Lakes along with trips to the United States with friends were also special treats for Mom. The grandchildren will attest that they spent many happy and most often adventurous days on the farm visiting Grandma and Grandpa. In 1988 my parents retired and moved to Steinbach, Manitoba. In 2008, due to failing health, Mary moved to the Niverville Credit Union Heritage Manor. In 2010 she moved to the Rest Haven Nursing Home in Steinbach and in 2011 to Bethesda Place. She passed away quietly in the early hours of May 26, 2012 at the age of 91 years. Mary was predeceased by her husband Henry on Christmas Day, 2001. She is survived by her only daughter Sharon, husband John Enns, grandchildren Jason (Joanne), Justin (Vanessa), Noel and Tessa, and six great-grandchildren, Bethany, Ryan, Emily, Marlee, Harlee, and Lucas. She is also survived by her two sisters Alice Batten and Jean Zilkie, and numerous nieces and nephews. The family wishes to thank all the caring staff at Niverville Credit Union Heritage Manor, Rest Haven, and Bethesda Place as well as Dr. M. Ibrahim of the Steinbach Family Medical Centre. We would also like to thank her niece Sandra for taking Mom on various outings to Greenridge, Woodmore, and Vita. The kindness of all their friends to both our parents has been much appreciated. A private interment service for immediate family will be held. In lieu of flowers, if anyone wishes, donations may be made to the charity of one's choice. Condolences and memories may be sent to www.birchwoodfuneralchapel.com Arrangements by BIRCHWOOD FUNERAL CHAPEL 1-204-346-1030 OR 1-888-454-1030
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on May 29, 2012
Guest Book(6 entries)
- Thinking of you Sharon and knowing how hard this time must be. Auntie Mary was a great lady and we will cherish fond memories of her and Uncle Henry. Many a 500 card game enjoyed. Our thoughts of sympathy are extended to you and you family.
- Posted by: Joannie and Tim Connell (niece ) on: Jun 6, 2012
- Hi Sharon - So sorry to hear of your Mom's passing - when it is your parent, it is always too soon. I loved the picture that you picked - it captured her warm personality so well. As a young girl, summer breaks seemed like they went on forever on the farm. With your Mom just a 1/4 mile down the road, I would often hop on my bike and head over. Your Mom let me play in her shed where my imagination let loose in the "play house". After that, we always seemed to share a bowl of ice cream with fresh strawberries from your Mom's garden. Such a lovely memory to have tucked away - Your Mom always made me feel special -
- Posted by: Debbie Kissick (Ramsey) (Friend) on: Jun 3, 2012
- Sharon, John & Family. My deepest and most sincere sympathy to all of you. Your parents were were both very special people in my life as I grew up in Green Ridge. May your faith in God and loving memories bring you comfort at this sad time.
- Posted by: Shirley Tabinski (Friend) on: Jun 3, 2012
- We always enjoyed visiting with your mum and dad when we came to Manitoba. And in the latter years with your mum. Although it has been several years since we managed to get through to Manitoba. She was always very kind to myself and my family and I remember as a child spending a couple of happy vacations on the farm. Mary, Jean and Alice - the three sisters in Manitoba and also Mary, Jean and Alice the three sisters in Jedburgh. It gave us many laughs, my husband Ken thought maybe that was the only three names the family knew. Condolences to you Sharon and your family - Mary always spoke very highly of you and I know Jean and Alice will miss her as well.
- Posted by: Alice Stene (Corbett) on: Jun 2, 2012
- I am so sorry to hear of your loss Sharon. It is never easy losing one's mom. I have very fond childhood memories of your wonderful mom. I loved talking and laughing with her. She was a very kind person. I pray for God's comfort and peace to be with you and your family at this time.
- Posted by: Adell(Rettaler)Zieska (friend) on: May 31, 2012
- My deepest sympathy to Sharon and family. Your mom was a special lady and I remember all the good times my parents had with her and your dad, fishing at Moose Lake or just playing cards. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.
- Posted by: Gail Gobeil (McLennan) (Friend) on: May 29, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.