AA larger | smaller
KARI (GARY) VALENIUS As a result of a tragic motorcycle accident, Kari (Gary) Valenius of Winnipeg passed away on Saturday, June 2, 2012. He is survived by father Toivo, and brothers Teppo, Kimmo and Reijo and several nieces and a nephew. Predeceased by his mother Riitta. Kari was born in Sudbury, Ontario, where he resided until moving to Winnipeg. He loved riding his motorcycle(s) and made an extended road trip with his friends every summer. Whenever he had a chance, he would take the opportunity to document his trips with numerous photos of wildlife and scenery. At home he was an avid mechanic, tuning his bike for the next Road Trip. He also had a very developed artistic talent which was easily seen in the artwork of his sketches and leather handicrafts. A Memorial Reception to celebrate Kari's life, will be held on Wednesday, June 13, 2012, in the Fort Garry Reception Centre at Thomson In the Park' Funeral Home and Cemetery, 1291 McGillvray Blvd. from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with tributes at 6:30 p.m. In honour of Kari and in lieu of flowers, donations to one's charity of choice, or the Canadian Cancer Society, would be greatly appreciated by the family. Online condolences may be made at www.brownfuneralhomekenora.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 11, 2012
Guest Book(6 entries)
- Kari was my friend. He was a very positive person who loved and lived life to the fullest. We had a lot of fun on group rides and Kari was always ready with his camera. Rest in peace brother.
- Posted by: Yuri (Friend, fellow rider) on: Jun 13, 2012
- Kari was one of my best friends for 27 years. We shared the best of times hunting, and most of all, motorcycling. We rode together from 1997 right through to this year. He loved riding most of all. I had 2 best friends. Now I have only 1. I loved him like a brother and will think of him every time I fire up a bike engine or see a BMW motorcycle. It was sudden and horrible. But we should remember to celebrate his life instead of mourning his death.
See you in the wind Bro!
- Posted by: Richard Gamble (Best friend for 27 years) on: Jun 11, 2012
- I have many memories of fun day rides with Kari, my brother Rich and myself. While making stops to stretch our legs and shoot the bull Kari loved to get his camera out and capture the day. He will surely be missed in all the rides ahead but remembered for all the rides past. RIP my brother.
- Posted by: Glenn Gamble (Friend, fellow rider) on: Jun 11, 2012
- Any time I saw Keri he had a big smile on his face, likley because we would talk bikes. A hard worker, a dedicated rider and all around good guy. Rest in peace my friend..
Condolences to his family..
- Posted by: Grant (rider & friend) (friend) on: Jun 11, 2012
- As tour riders ourselves, my wife's and my condolences to the family and friends of Kari who passed away doing what he loved doing.
- Posted by: Wilf (fellow tour rider "brother") on: Jun 11, 2012
- Kari was a good (if sometimes grumpy) friend who will be missed. He was a guy you knew you could count on in a pinch. Wherever he is now, I'm sure he is working on bikes and throwing darts.
- Posted by: Mark Heber (Friend) on: Jun 11, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.