AA larger | smaller
TERRENCE LESLIE ALCOCK 1933 - 2012 It is with immense sadness and family at his side, we announce the peaceful passing of a husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, brother, uncle and friend on June 10, 2012 at the Grace Hospital. Terry will be lovingly remembered by his wife and soul mate, Stella, of 42 years; sons Brent (Lise), Christopher (Tamara), Michael (Tracy), John (Lauren) and daughter Karen Lamoureux (Murray); ten grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Also left to cherish Terry's memory are his sisters June Betton (Fred) and Lynn Proutt (Art); his brother Greg (Judy); his mother-in-law Mary Figura, sister-in- law Virginia Peters (Bob) and many nieces and nephews. Terry was predeceased by his parents Les and Dorothy Alcock, sister Peggy Saunders and brother-in-law Doug Saunders; his daughter Kathy Berard and son-in-law Guy Berard and Terry's father-in-law Stanley Figura. Terry was born and raised in Kenora, Ontario. His younger days were spent with his parents and siblings at their camp on Black Sturgeon. Once married, Terry acquired a cottage on Lake of the Woods in Kenora, Ontario not straying too far from his siblings and his birthplace. Here he enjoyed fishing, boating, gardening, carpentry and just plain hanging out with family and friends. In 1979, Terry opened up Garden Gate Pontiac Buick, GMC and acted as president and Dealer Principal until his retirement in 2001. A celebration of Terry's life will take place at, 2:00 p.m. on Friday, June 15, 2012 at Neil Bardal Funeral Centre, 3030 Notre Dame Avenue (across from Brookside Cemetery). A private family interment will take place, in Kenora, Ontario at a later date. The Alcock family would like to give a heartfelt thank you to the staff on 3 North at the Grace Hospital for their care and kindness towards Terry. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to CancerCare Manitoba, 675 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 0V9 or to the Lake of The Woods District Hospital, 21 Sylvan Street, Kenora, Ontario, P9N 3W7. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE (204) 949-2200) nbardal.mb.ca
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 14, 2012
Guest Book(7 entries)
- my regrets to the family, sincerely, Stone Avery - G.M - winnipeg and Oshawa.
- Posted by: F.Stone Avery (business associate) on: Jul 5, 2012
- I learned of Terry's passing recently and was very saddened. Our encounters were always cordial, challenging, fun and memorable. Our views sometimes were not exactly parallel but we were always able to compromise and end up feeling good. What an honour and a privilege to have worked and known you. Rest in peace Terry.
- Posted by: Court Brooker (Friend and business associate.) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Maria and I, my brother, Don and his wife, Kathy are deeply saddened to have received Stella's news that we've lost our dear Terry. He was, to me, the older brother I never had. Even from our first visits to Kenora as children he always seemed to be looking after us younger ones...and one day while swimming in the Lake of the Woods he pulled me up from the bottom of the lake after I didn't surface from a dive off the dock. So I guess you could say he saved my life. Funny, I just thought of that event while writing this.
For that and many other reasons he was, without a doubt, my favourite cousin. And fortunately we got to know him (and Stella) much better during these last few years when sons Brent and Chris attended Georgian College here in Barrie, Ontario. We had many pleasurable visits when they came to town and then again in Destin, Fl every January when we were both taking a break from winter.
Our most memorable time with Terry and Stella was approximately 7 years ago when travelling out west with our 10 year old grandson, Brandon,we stopped off in Kenora for a couple of days stay at their cottage in Keewatin. What a thrill it was for Brandon and me to go fishing on beautiful Lake of the Woods with master fisherman, Terry. We even caught a couple of fish (guaranteed by Terry before we left the dock, of course). After their wonderful hospitality we were off to Winnipeg with Terry and Stella where we picked up our new Chevy Blazer from his Garden Gate dealership.
A trip to remember and a man whose kindness and generosity we'll never forget.
- Posted by: JACK & MARIA GRAVES (COUSIN, FRIEND) on: Jun 15, 2012
- To Karen, Murray & Family,
So very sorry to hear of the passing of your Dad. Sincere condolences to you all
Love Lesa & Frank
- Posted by: Lesa (Camire) Sieradzki (Friend of Karen and Murray) on: Jun 14, 2012
- Our sympathy to Stella and all the Family.
He was a very nice person.
- Posted by: Dale & Fern Hunt (Long time aquaintance) on: Jun 14, 2012
- I am so very sad to hear of Terry's passing. I have so many wonderful memories of such a wonderful, kind, gentle man. I worked with Terry at Garden Gate Pontiac even before we opened the doors for business. To have worked for such a man was a real honour. To have met and worked with his family was a true pleasure. My sincere condolences go out to Stella, John, Michael, Brent, Chris and Karen. Terry will always be in our hearts.
Diane Kaiser (Harman)
- Posted by: Diane Kaiser (Former Employee) on: Jun 14, 2012
- I first met Terry in 1971 when I started woring at Birchwood Motors. Terry was the New Car Sales Manager at the time ans I worked in the service department. In the fall of 1972 Bob Chipman opened a recreational store called Leisure Time Centre. I transfered over there as their first full time salesman with absolutely no experience. I remember going over to the Board Room at Birchwood and receiving detailed sales training from Terry. Terry was a gentleman and a professional in every way. He taught me the meaning of integrity on the sales floor when dealing with the public. I ran into Terry about two years ago in Kenora where we chatted for quite a while, probably a little too long for Stella as she probably had better things to do than listen to our reminiscing about the old days. I will never forget Terry and I will always hold his memory with the highest regard as I know he had agreat influence in my success as a Sales person. My thoughts go out to Stella and their family.
Sincerely Paul Tilley
- Posted by: Paul Tilley (Sales Student / Friend ) on: Jun 14, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.