AA larger | smaller
RICHARD STARKELL With his family at his side, Rick Starkell passed away on June 13, 2012 at the age of 54. He is survived by his wife Lori, sister Myrna (David) Nephews Daryl (Jen), Tyler (Zoey), Matthew Nieces Kelly (Joey), Dawn (Gibby), Tanya (Dustin), Brittany, Jesse (goddaughter), Courtney, In-laws Ed and Anna Kszywiecki great-nieces and nephews and his Dog Bronco, as well as many other relatives and friends. Rick was predeceased by his parents Jessie and William and his brothers Billy (in infancy) and Dale. Cremation has taken place and at Rick's request, no services will be held. We would like to thank the doctors and nurses at the Health Sciences Centre. If desired a donation in Rick's memory can be made to CancerCare Manitoba.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 15, 2012
Guest Book(11 entries)
- Rick, my buddy, it's almost 2 weeks since you've been gone and it's still hard to believe. I'll never forget the good times at the lake. Will be an empty space there now. I couldn't believe how strong you were at the end. You're in a much better place, till we meet again. Your bud, Jim.
- Posted by: Jim Martin, Nadine and Colin (friends) on: Jun 26, 2012
- I would like to offer my deepest condolences to Lori and family.I'm going to miss very much the over the fence chats and occasional afternoon beer. Rick was a very warm hearted man and always had time to help and/or listen to how things were going in others lives. I am thankful for the opportunity to have met Rick. I'm going to miss you friend and neighbor. Rest in peace!
- Posted by: Brad Scheerle (neighbor) on: Jun 19, 2012
- My Uncle Rick was an amazing, caring, fun and loving person. He made an impact on everyone he met and he will never be forgotten. I'll never forget the time I moved in with him and my Aunty Lori because I was annoyed of my little sister and didn't want to share a room anymore. He welcomed me with open arms <3All the memories we have at the cabin in Winnipeg Beach where I spent a majority of my summers. Or just showing up randomly at his house just to bug him and my aunty....we always made fun of each other lol. Uncle Rick you were like a second dad to me and one of my best friends. Oh by the way I know you saw me buy your truck today, it's just another piece of you I'll have<3 Thank you Uncle Rick for letting me and Lori be there with you at your last moments that's something I will hold close to my heart. I will take care of Lori and Bronco and I know you will watch over us! xoxoxox love you Uncle Rick ...Rest in Peace, you're in a better place!
- Posted by: Jesse Kszywiecki (Neice and God Daughter) on: Jun 19, 2012
- To Lori & Family
We were very sorry to hear that Rick had lost the battle with his cancer--we will miss you as our neighbors at Winnipeg Beach. Our condolences & prayers go out to you & yours
- Posted by: Dave & Georgina Adolfson (Cottage neighbors) on: Jun 18, 2012
- My deepest condolences to you Lori. I will always remember how proud Rick would be of his garden each year, tending to them as if they were his babies....RIP Sparky
- Posted by: Lori (Old Friend) on: Jun 17, 2012
- Hey Laurie, I am so sorry to hear about Rick. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please give me a call if you need any kind of help or support. My phone number is 586-1030 Take care.
- Posted by: Cindy Morrison (Friend) on: Jun 17, 2012
- To Family & Friends, so very sorry for your loss. So many memories spent with a very special guy. Cruis'en down the street in the ol'Barracuda. Fish'en for beer at the Rivercrest, 6 pk of Extra Old Stock. Bonfires at the creek. I could go on forever...Memories that will hold a special place in our hearts forever. Farewell Rick
- Posted by: Nikki & Jamie Oleksiw (Long-go Friends) on: Jun 16, 2012
- My Uncle, always with a smiling face even in his last days. I will miss you more than I'm sure I even know!
Upward to his Mother Jesssie and Father Bill, his brother whom he never met Billy, and his brother Dale (my Dad). And so many other family members that have passed. What a family party that must of been :)
Auntie Lori, I'm so sorry for your great loss, but your courage and strength are inspiring!
Auntie Myrna you've got three guardian Angels
- Posted by: Kelly Starkell (Neice) on: Jun 16, 2012
- shocked and sad, condolances to Lori, I went to West St Paul school with Rick way back in the 701s he was always a couple of years older & bigger than the other guys... so he was always the one one sent to get the beer, we had some great times seems so long ago rest in pease my friend the battle is over ♥
- Posted by: Elaine (childhood friend) on: Jun 15, 2012
- My thoughts and Prayers go out to Rick & Lori'S family. I used to call you Richard Donald Starkell the Valentine Baby. I've known you since I was 2 years old. When I was a kid. I remember you, my brother and friends from Rivercrest. You all did your darndest to ditch me, put me on the wrong bus, after seeing the movie Willard the rat.
You'd hang a moon on me etc. Yet when I was older we hung out, and had lots of good times. Rick you have been a part of our family, for close to 50 years. We've been thru good and bad times. I'll miss you! Now that all your Pain is gone. Rest in Peace my Friend. Till we Meet again Someday. (At the fort, by the train track on Main St.)
- Posted by: Deborah (Thiessen) on: Jun 15, 2012
- Rick and I were childhood friends in Rivercrest north of Winnipeg, living on Pendennis Drive. Many sleepovers, back yard "camping" nights, raiding crabapple trees in the dark of night (usually my Dad's) and then getting sick as dogs, tobogganing at the creek, snowmobiling (Ricky was the only kid strong enough to pull start the old Snow Cruiser when it stalled!!), shooting pellet guns at the cottage, eating cold beans from the can with Rick's dad Bill when we camped at the beach in their tent trailer and eventually cars (Rick had a nice Barracuda and Chevelle back in the day). I will always remember Rick's dog Rusty who slept out in the middle of the road right out in front of their house on Pendennis in the heat of the afternoon.
I'm sorry to say that we did not keep in contact as life took us in different directions as it often does, but Rick's name usually came up when I shared my childhood stories with my own kids. I'm sorry that I didn't have a chance to say good bye to Rick. I certainly feel an emptiness with his departure. I can only imagine the emptiness you feel Myrna & Lori. Please know that I will be praying for you during this time and my prayer will be that the Lord Jesus meets you in your need and pain.
- Posted by: Len Dacombe (Childhood Friend) on: Jun 15, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.