AA larger | smaller
LORNE PORTH 1945 - 2012 On June 14, 2012 after a valiant struggle, Lorne passed into the arms of God. Funeral Mass will be celebrated Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, 255 Stafford Street, Winnipeg, MB. Longer Obituary to follow in next Saturday's paper. Chapel Lawn www.chapellawn.mb.ca 885-9715
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 16, 2012
Guest Book(19 entries)
- Gina, Alma and I just returned from vacation and found this. We were aware before we left how dedicated you were in supporting Lorne. Please accept my condolences, though a little late.
Roberta (Hill) Beach
- Posted by: Roberta Beach (friend) on: Jul 1, 2012
- My mother and his were involved in different activities and that's how I got to know Lorne in North End. We renewed our acquaintances again at St. Paul's where he introduced Gina to me and I knew he was real serious about her. Lorne as I will always remember, great sense of humour, quick smile and always willing to help. Too young to go. Will miss you.
- Posted by: colin dederick (school chum) on: Jun 25, 2012
- Gina and Family.......Lorne, such a fun guy, a funny guy, a sincere guy, and intelligent guy, a great dad, grandfather and husband. The most of what he spoke about to me was 'all of you', who he loved so much. Through his recent illness we prayed for a peaceful passing and that God would make Himself real to Lorne...and I believe He did. And now we trust with you all for God's peace and strength and hope that can pass our own understanding and give us grace in this difficult time. We love you and our deepest sympathies.
Love you, Mark and Gina
- Posted by: Mark and Gina DeBrincat and all the kids (Cousin) on: Jun 25, 2012
- Gina and Family...
My Sincerest condolences after hearing of your Loss,your beloved Lorne.
I never met Lorne, but used to hear the stories my Father (Joe Sr.) would bring back with him from his yearly visits "Back Home".
I only ever got to know most of you from his stories and those of our Cousins Parents (All the Aunts & Uncles) when they came our way to visit or mine went your end, but always felt a long distance connection.
Lorne's name and yours were very common in the conversations. Always pleasant tales, some funny.
Take some comfort in this Gina...While attending an Open Air Annual Mass at the Cemetery where my Parents are buried, one of the Celebrants of the Mass, a Bishop I think it was, said something one year that has stuck with me ever since.
During the Homily of that Mass, he simply said, "The next time you are missing a Loved one and wish you could talk to them, you can!...For they are there, they know what we are doing and if you ever doubt that, remember this...They are only as far away from you as GOD...And you talk to GOD all the time!"
To You, your Family and the Friends...
GOD BLESS you all during this difficult Time, but from what I remember hearing about and reading about Lorne, it sounds like he would be the first guy to tell you, do not grieve, I am still with you in your Thoughts of me, in your Stories of me and still closer yet, In your Hearts...
The World's a little Sadder, but the Heavens are a little Brighter...and you will see Lorne again!-GOD BLESS
- Posted by: Joe Hovorka II (Cousin - Ajax, Ontario.) on: Jun 24, 2012
- We enjoyed the many get togethers we had when
visiting your mother, talking, laughing,
jokes, old pictures, family fun---Lorne was
always there with his humor, thoughtfulness,
love, and goodwill. He will be missed by all
who knew him.---God Bless.
- Posted by: Dan and Laura (Aunt and Uncle) on: Jun 24, 2012
- Gina, Laurel, Greg and Brock
We are are all so sorry to hear of your loss.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all in this trying time. God Bless you all.
Pat and Penny
- Posted by: Pat and Penny Hovorka and Family (Cousin) on: Jun 24, 2012
- We are both very saddened by Lorne's passing. We will miss his quick wit and sense of humour. We sincerely wish Gina and her extended family all the best in the future. We are all blessed to have known Lorne.
- Posted by: Russ & Marlene Muth (Friends) on: Jun 24, 2012
- Gina and family-- We were all so saddened to know the struggle Lorne had and we are also mourning your loss. Lorne was a tremendous inspiration and a thoughtful relative. He will be SO greatly missed! Our prayers for God's peace to surround you and your family.
- Posted by: Dea Code and family (cousin) on: Jun 22, 2012
- So sorry for your loss. Lorne was always a fun guy to be around and knew how to find humour in every situation. He will be dearly missed.
- Posted by: The McLauchlans (Family Friends) on: Jun 22, 2012
- Gina and family.... My heart goes out to you all. Lorne was such a great part of our family. So good to Tunney, keeping dad hunting til 87+ !! I loved his sense of humor and will miss him. Your strong faith will comfort you in this time of loss. Again, So sorry.... Love you, Lori
- Posted by: Lori Hovorka (cousin) on: Jun 21, 2012
- How saddened we are to hear of Lorne's passing. With each nursing reunion we could always count on Lorne's very presence to light up the room! The world was a better place for his having inhabited it. Our prayers & sympathies to Gina & his wonderful family.
- Posted by: Marlene Peitch & Mario Ruggiero (Old friends & classmate of Gina) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Dear Gina. Like Jean and Fred I too remember your wedding day. What fun! I remember Lorne's easy laugh on that day, at the parties at 'the house' and at Penny's reunions. Memories made all the more precious now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your children. Much love Glynis
- Posted by: Glynis Morris on: Jun 21, 2012
- Gina, I went to see my mom this weekend and she said that she saved Lorne's obit. notice. We had no idea he was even sick. Please accept our sincere condolences. Hope to speak with you soon. Loved that Lorne. Jim and Libby
- Posted by: Libby Berglund (Friend) on: Jun 18, 2012
- Gina, Laurel, Greg, and Brock....The Bush family are saddened to hear of Lorne's passing. We all shared many happy times with all of you at the Porth family home and at hockey rinks in the community of Westwood. Lorne was a stalwart steward of the family business and above all a devoted Husband, Father, Son, and Grandfather. He was extremely proud of everyone in his family. Lorne's wise counsel, business acumen, and entrepreneurial skills will be a lasting legacy for your family. Al especially remembers all of the early morning coffee chats with Lorne and all the chuckles that both he and Lorne shared about Rudy's stories. Our deepest sympathies to all of you.
- Posted by: Allan, Janice, Tracy and Jim Bush (Friends) on: Jun 18, 2012
- Hi Gina:
Sorry to hear of your loss, our condolences to you and your family.
I have a VCR of the kids playing hockey and Lorne commenting. If I ever get it on a CD I will send you a copy, it is really good humor.
- Posted by: Gary & Marilyn McNish (Friend) on: Jun 17, 2012
- We are both sad to hear about Lorne's passing. We have been tenants of his for almost 38 years and you can't remain a tenant if you don't get along with and respect the landlord. Whenever we had problems over here, especially since Bill (Marie's husband/Bruce's father)died, he had been very understanding and cordial (even though he disliked Barb while she lived here) and was concerned when he heard of Marie's illness (even though he was going through a lot himself).
Regardless.....Gina & family, we mourn with you and hope the days will get better every new morning.
- Posted by: Bruce Alexander & Marie Alexander (tenants) on: Jun 17, 2012
- A good man and a good friend.
- Posted by: Terry Starr (Friend) on: Jun 16, 2012
- Regina, we were very sad to learn of Lorne's passing but at the same time very happy that his struggles are now behind him. We have always admired his positive attitude while facing his cancer head on and trust that you will find the same kind of inner strength as you go on with life without him. God be with you.
- Posted by: John & Grant Johnson (Friend) on: Jun 16, 2012
- Hello Gina. We were sorry to hear that Lorne was ill. We are thinking about you and Lorne and the good times we all had at Clear Lake - remember your wedding night??
- Posted by: Fred and Jean Ennis (Old friends, really old) on: Jun 16, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.