AA larger | smaller
ROY GIFFORD CLARKE March 9, 1930 - June 17, 2012 It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Roy Clarke, our dear husband, father, uncle and friend, on Sunday, June 17, 2012 at Riverview Health Centre at the age of 82 years. Left to forever cherish Roy's memory are his wife Jean, of 57 years of marriage; children, Jane Clarke (Rick Culbertson), Roger Clarke, Mark Clarke; grandchildren Tyler, Alexandra, Brett, Meghan and Bronte; sister Margaret and family; as well as many other friends and family. His niece Alison and husband Denis were here from England during his stay in hospital and were a great comfort to the family. Roy was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England and immigrated to Canada in 1957 with Jean. He worked in the insurance industry for most of his career, with his final post being risk manager of an oil company in Calgary. He and his family lived in many cities during his life, in order: Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Winnipeg. Roy's family in England and Australia will miss him dearly. Over the years Roy and Jean enjoyed travelling and made many trips to see them. Some of the many interests Roy had included flying, piping and crossword puzzles. He was the proud owner of a collection of airplanes. He was a piper in several bands, including the Milton Pipe Band, ANAVET 303 Band, Manitoba Pipes and Drums. Jean and Roy enjoyed their daily lunch at the #1 ANAVET club and Roy was Irene's number one customer. A Celebration of Roy's Life will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, June 22, 2012, at the ANAVET Assiniboine Unit 283 Club, 3584 Portage Ave., Winnipeg. Special thanks to staff at Health Sciences Centre GH4 and Riverview, especially nurses Alia, Caitlin and Betty, and of course our dedicated family doctor, Dr. Dawn McTaggart. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a charity of your choice.
Publish Date: Jun 20, 2012
ROY GIFFORD CLARKE On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Roy died at the Riverview Health Centre at the age of 82 years. A longer obituary notice will follow.
Publish Date: Jun 20, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 20, 2012
Guest Book(14 entries)
- Roy was one of the most charming, witty, and kind men I knew. He will be so missed. My condolences Jean and Jane and to the rest of your family as well.
- Posted by: Maureen McFarlane (fellow piper and friend of the family) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Mark, Roger and Family.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
Mark, I know how close you were to your Dad, as you often talked about him.
Rest Assured that your Father's spirit will always be with you.
- Posted by: Bill Francis (Co-Worker) on: Jun 21, 2012
- So sorry to hear of the death of your father, Mary and I offer our condolences to your family and offer a prayer in his memory
- Posted by: James J. Lawrence (Friend of Roger, his son) on: Jun 21, 2012
- I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you
- Posted by: Rita Del Casale-Cimini (friend of Mark) on: Jun 21, 2012
- We are so very sorry for your loss Mark & Tyler. I can tell by the way Roy raised his Family, he was a Real Gentleman, Down-To-Earth, Honest, True, Trustworthy, Thoughtful, Kind & Dedicated. He will always be remembered & is at peace now. Our Sympathies go out to the rest of the Family also. We're thinking about you right now !!! Take Care, Cheryl & Bruce.
- Posted by: Cheryl & Bruce Knowlton (Great Friend of Roys' Son Mark) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Mark, I would like to give you my deepest condolences. Your dad seemed like a great man and a great example for Tyler to look up to. I’m sure he was a great dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Ann-Marie Florio (Friend of Marks) on: Jun 21, 2012
- We are sorry for your loss Mark and Family
- Posted by: DOUG & MAUREEN ARMSTRONG (CO WORKERS OF MARK CLAR) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Roy's sense of adventure and humour will be deeply missed. Now, there's no one to share Far Side jokes with any more.
- Posted by: Ann Clarke (Former Daughter-in-Law) on: Jun 21, 2012
- He was such a cool grampa, and always had a smile on his face. He definitely always had something to say. He will definitely be missed by so many people.
Love you Grampa.
- Posted by: Meghan (Granddaughter) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Roy's love of life and sense of humour will be sorely missed. Roy will forever remain in my thoughts.
- Posted by: Ann Clarke on: Jun 21, 2012
- Mr "C" will always be remembered as a very happy, adventurous individual that always had a kind word. He will be sorely missed.
- Posted by: Joseph Lawrence (Friend) on: Jun 20, 2012
- Sorry for your loss, we know how painful this time is. Uncle Roy’s warmth and wit will be missed by all of us. We will cherish the memories of the times we spent together.
- Posted by: Andrea, Pete & Brittney (Niece) on: Jun 19, 2012
- Uncle Roy will be sadly missed by all of us, especially at our family gatherings.
Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may past memories help comfort you tomorrow.
- Posted by: Tina, Brian, Steven & Michael (Niece) on: Jun 19, 2012
- Roy will be dearly missed by his loving Sister and Bob.
- Posted by: Margaret & Bob (Sister) on: Jun 19, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.