AA larger | smaller
RENE MARTIN We are saddened to announce that on Sunday, June 17, 2012, Rene had passed away peacefully at the age of 76. He will be lovingly remembered by his wife Charlotte, son Allan (Peggy), daughter Sharon (Dan); grandchild Matthew and life-long family friends Lenore, Debbie (Dave), Ryan and Lindsay; as well as sister-in-law Esther and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents Rachel and Jerome, his sister Yvonne, brothers George, Harry and Mitchell. Rene was born and raised in St. Boniface and was the youngest of five siblings working on a small farm. He later married and spent most of his working career in the auto sector, retiring from Manitoba Public Insurance in 2001. Rene enjoyed working on cars, helping family and friends with his skills at Rene's Garage . He had many passions: Photography, camping, boating and especially fishing. Rene reeled in many fish including a couple of anglers from his favourite fishing hole, Reed Lake. He also loved hockey and football and was a huge supporting fan for Winnipeg teams. Rene's life was filled with many accomplishments and he lived life with the glass more than half full. A special heart felt thank you to all of the staff at the Health Science Centre. In keeping with Rene's wishes, a service and burial will take place at Green Acres Funeral Home located on Hwy. No 1 East at Navin Road on Friday, June 22, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. Memorial donations may be made to The Heart and Stroke Foundation or Canadian Cancer Society. GREEN ACRES Funeral Home and Cemetery (204) 222-3241 Condolences may be sent to www.greenacresfuneralhome.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 20, 2012
Guest Book(8 entries)
- Could not attend funeral as I was out of town. Rene was a great friend and mentor. in all the years we worked together never once did we have conflicting words or views. Good friend you will be missed.
- Posted by: Randy and Linda Steinke (Friend and co-worker) on: Jun 29, 2012
- When I was new in the autobody business, many people gave me a hard time (a learning lesson for new guys). Rene was different and dealt with me in a caring and understanding manner. I always respected him for that. Your presence with us will always be remembered and missed. Thanks Rene.
- Posted by: Jeff Middlestead (business aquaintance) on: Jun 24, 2012
- Hold tight to your memories for comfort and lean on your friends for strength. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Grant and Val (Friends of Dan and Sharon from Newmarket) on: Jun 23, 2012
- I DEALT WITH RENE MANY YEARS WHEN HE WORKED WITH MPI.I HAD NOT SEEN HIM FOR A WHILE,BUT I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM.
- Posted by: ABE FLAMING (BUSINESS ACQUAINTENCE) on: Jun 22, 2012
- I worked with Rene at the King Street Claim Centre, Rene would always go out of his way to offer his hand! He would also bring his boat to work and on our lunch hour he would take the girls for a boat ride to the Forks. You will be missed Rene
- Posted by: Cassandra Remillard on: Jun 21, 2012
- I had the pleasure of delivering Rene's retirement roast (about 11 years ago), and will always remember his leadership in our group. Rene was always very generous with his time in helping others. I owe my thankx - for his coaching, and mentoring.
- Posted by: Blair Wagner (friend and co-worker at MPI) on: Jun 20, 2012
- Rene and my Dad were always on the same shift at MPI, so if I met my Dad for coffee I was also meeting Rene for coffee! What a great guy and a really good story teller. He will certainly be missed.
- Posted by: Darrell Steinke (friend) on: Jun 20, 2012
- So sad to hear that Rene has passed away. He was a great guy..used to bring his boat to work and take us for rides at the Forks on our lunch hours. A good friend to all.
- Posted by: Arlene Masters (Friend, co-worker at MPI) on: Jun 20, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.