AA larger | smaller
CHELSEY LEE BARBARA WILKES With deep sadness and loving memory we announce the passing of Chelsey Lee Barbara Wilkes, daughter to Mary Ann and Brian; sister to Crystal and Heather; stepdaughter to Brian's partner Olivia. She crossed over on the afternoon of Sunday, June 24, 2012 at the Richmond Hospital ICU, with her family by her side. She was exactly two months shy of her 29th birthday. Chelsey was a bright, vivacious, beautiful woman with a huge personality and unparalleled wit. She had exceptional taste and was a talented stylist, make-up artist and craftswoman. She brought excitement, sass and laughter to everyone who knew her. Above all Chelsey was a strong warrior who was working very hard to overcome extremely difficult obstacles in her life. We can only hope and trust that she is now relieved of these struggles and that her powerful spirit will continue to touch our world with her signature sense of humour, magic and love. A celebration of her life will be held on Wednesday, July 4, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. in the Coutu Funeral Chapel, 680 Archibald St., Winnipeg, Manitoba.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 30, 2012
Guest Book(13 entries)
- Since the day you moved in across the street our families became close. It's taken until today for your passing to hit me. I have loved you since the day we met and will continue to love you forever and ever. I'll never forget the pact we made and now with my 30th birthday around the corner I can't help but think about you all the time and how you would remind me continuously of our pact... we'll be together again soon Chelse. And when that day comes we can then continue to be the best friends we have been for almost 25 years. I love you and miss you so much right now.
all my love,
- Posted by: sean neufeld (bff) on: Jan 6, 2013
- I am profoundly saddened by the loss of such a vibrant, beautiful young spirit as Chelsey. My deepest heartfelt sympathy goes out to Mary Ann, Heather and Crystal.
- Posted by: Brian Spencer on: Jul 6, 2012
- I knew Chelsey during her early years in Smithers and will forever remember her as a friendly, vivacious little girl. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!
- Posted by: Mary Rathbone (friend of family) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Dear Brian, Olivia, Mary Ann, Crystal and Heather. We were so sorry to hear about the passing of Chelsey. We didn't have the opportunity to know her as an adult but we remember her fondly as one of the happy outgoing Wilkes children who were such good friends to our children. No words can bring Chelsey back but we hope you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. We hope she is in a peaceful place, spreading her cheer to all the other angels. Love from Terry, Jennifer, Matthew and Kimberly Roberts and Rebecca Connop Price.
- Posted by: Terry, Jennifer, Matthew, Kim and Rebecca Roberts (Family friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Although I haven’t seen Chelsey in years, her contagious laugh and incredibly funny sense of humour still run through my mind like it was yesterday. Days of cruising in the purple neon, girls nights in the hot tub on Guay Street and endless boy talks are unforgettable.
A memory that stands out to me and speaks to her nature is when I had a boyfriend who treated me bad. Chels stole my cell, texted him what she felt needed to be said then hid my cell phone in her apartment for over a week. (At this time in our life, a week could have been 6 months) She said I would only get it back when I stood up for myself and toughened up. She was truly a good friend and would do anything for those who were close to her.
I sit here trying to write a note to Mary Ann, Heather, and Crystal but cannot find the words to express how truly sorry I am for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family during this extremely difficult time.
Love Teri Wolfram
- Posted by: Teri-Lyn Wolfram (old friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Your life is a legacy that we will never forget. You have boldly left your mark on the world. You will always be in the hearts of your "girls". We all love you more than you know. I send you and your family much energy and love. Good luck on your spiritual journey Chels xoxoxox.
- Posted by: Karen Carriere (old friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Chelsey was a great friend and she will be greatly missed, I loved the way she could do make-up she made everyone look like a superstar. Love you girl.
- Posted by: Carey Buckels (Friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- I am truly saddened by this news. Over the years we had tried to keep in touch but our lives had taken us in different directions. I will always regret not trying harder to ignore our differences and try to re-unite but I have so many good memories of a friendship that we once had and the good times and great fun we had as teenagers. I will always love you Chelse. I hope you now feel the peace and happiness that you deserve.
- Posted by: Nicole Jolicoeur on: Jul 2, 2012
- We're so sorry for the loss of your sister, Heather. Thinking of you xo
- Posted by: Camille and Dave on: Jul 2, 2012
- Our hearts go out to you we are so saddened to hear of Chelsey's passing.
- Posted by: catherine welch (Friend) on: Jul 1, 2012
- Our hearts go out to the entire Wilkes family. Rest in peace Chelsey.
- Posted by: Trevi and Chad on: Jun 30, 2012
- Dear Brian, Olivia, also Mary Ann, Crystal and Heather,
We were shocked and saddened to hear the news of Chelsey's illness and then sudden passing. We can only imagine your heartache at such a time and want you to know that we care about you and are sending our most positive energy your way.
One doesn't see enough of "old" friends, but know that we are still with you.
I still think of all 3 "cookie-cutter kids" as little girls, but just like our "babies", they've grown up and become people of their own. May all of you find some solace in the time you spend with each other.
Love, Lee Anne and Alex
- Posted by: Lee Anne Hockin-Grant & Alex Grant (Friends from Smithers and now on Vancouver Island) on: Jun 30, 2012
- I remember looking up to my wonderful older cousin and looking forward to the two weeks between our birthday for which I was lucky enough to be the same age as her. Specifically during a visit to Toronto on the way back from Quebec City, I remember Chelsea's stories of getting her hair braided in a very special way. She is fully loved and fully missed.
- Posted by: Adam Wilkes (Cousin) on: Jun 30, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.