AA larger | smaller
DIANE MARIE OLYNICK June 30, 1949 - June 27, 2012 It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our dear sister after a long brave battle with cancer on June 27, 2012. Diane was predeceased by her parents William and Mary Olynick and is survived by siblings Maurice (Jeanette), Shirley, Joanie, Jack (Sandy), nephews Andrew (Ruth), Jonathan (Sarah) and great-nieces and nephews Ivy, Elle, Luke and Reid. Diane was a long time employee of the Federal Government in Compensation Human Resources. She retired in January 2010. The family wishes to thank Dr. L. Reynolds for his kindness and compassion over the last six months, Drs. T. St. Godard and M. Volpe and the palliative nurses for the exceptional care and support provided, as well as Dr. P. Harris and nurses at the Concordia Hospital Cancer Unit. Cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be held at 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at Friends Funeral Service, 2146 Main Street, Winnipeg. Donation may be made to CancerCare Manitoba, Guardian Angel Caring Room or to a charity of your choice.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 30, 2012
Guest Book(27 entries)
- Joanne, Diane and Shirley, "The Girls" as we affectionately call them. You cannot think of one without thinking of the others. This is how it will always be. Diane's memory will live on everytime we speak those words.
The Girls are a beautiful, caring and giving family. Our thoughts are with you.
- Posted by: Colleen & Art (friends) on: Jul 11, 2012
- I had the priviledge of working with Diane for a number of years while working in Human Resources at Indian Affairs. Diane was knowledgable, helpful and very down to earth. There were no pretenses with Diane, she always told it like it is. I recall with great fondness the numerous conversations Diane and I would have about our travels. I still have the lovely little tile/sundial she brought back for me from Spain - it is displayed in a prominent place among my plants in my garden area. I was saddened to hear of her passing, and my sincere condolences to her family.
- Posted by: Valli (former co-worker) on: Jul 8, 2012
- I grew up next to the girls on Wellington and they were all such a positive influence in my life. I have many great memories and feel the loss very much.
With warm and loving thoughts, Sharon
- Posted by: Sharon Diane Swanson (Wiebe) (Friend) on: Jul 7, 2012
- I knew Diane for many years, but because I moved to Vancouver I did not see her often. We did reconnect while she was in Vancouver and had some good times together. I would usually see her on my visit back to Winnipeg and I always enjoyed her company. Now is the time for us the ones left behind to keep her memory and that wonderful smile alive in our hearts. I know the loss you are feeling and also know that in time the pain will lessen and the memory of her will be strong in your hearts.
- Posted by: Teresa Switzer (Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Diane, I will miss your infectious laughter and kind heartedness. A trait all of the Olynick sisters inherited. I always admired your travelling the world. I will miss seeing you and Joanie driving by and giving me a wave and a smile while I'm dragged through the park with our most recent family canine. Have fun up there with all your dogs and now you can run free.
- Posted by: Sue Ingleton (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- I had the wonderful chance of meeting Diane at Parkwood Place in Grand Forks where she stayed while having cancer treatments. I just loved her the minute I met her. She was part of the GrandMan group...that was put together from all the Canadians that had treatments in Grand Forks. I was so saddened to hear of her passing... I will miss her dearly. I loved her wit- her fun-eating perogies with her and her shopping...I just wanted to let her wonderful sisters know that I'm thinking of them. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love you Diane....Jo-
- Posted by: Jo- Hirsch (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Joanie and Shirley, we are so sorry to hear about Diane's passing. We will always miss the friendly wave across the fence and the great stories of her travels. Our hearts go out to you and your family.
- Posted by: Leona and Murray Brown (neighbour) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Diane was such a kind, loving and considerate person who always thought of others before herself. She loved her family, her friends and people in general. We miss her dearly.
- Posted by: Angie, Greg & Brandon (Friends) on: Jul 4, 2012
- Diane will be sadly missed. Her effervescence, infectious laugh and love of life will be always remembered. Her journey continues and she will share that journey as we meet again.
- Posted by: Gail (Cousin) on: Jul 4, 2012
- Diane will be missed greatly. We are so sorry for your loss, truly. heartfelt thoughts to Joan and Shirley. We are just a couple houses away - there when you need us. Lots of love
- Posted by: Brandie and Sean (neighbours/friends) on: Jul 4, 2012
- I was so sorry to hear of Diane's passing. My deepest condolences. I met Diane when she was having her cancer treatment in Grand Forks at the same time as my husband Ozzie. He, too, has passed away. We were the first to have the Grand-Man Reunion in Lac du Bonnet, and Diane was a very vital part of that celebration. She was a great gal.
I would like to pass on condolences for many of the Grand-Man cancer patients, who thought the world of Diane.
- Posted by: Dorothy Singbeil (Friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- A wonderful kind lady. Rest in peace Diane.
- Posted by: Hilda Anderson (Friend, Former Colleauge) on: Jul 3, 2012
- A smile that made you feel welcome. Supportive, a listener, insightful, she could read a person well. She will surely be missed by all who knew her.
My sympathy to her family, friends and loved ones, Robbie McDougall
- Posted by: Robbie (friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Joanie and Shirley, I am so sad to hear of the passing of Diane, a friend I will always remember. Our trips together will never be forgotten. My memories will always be there. My condolences to Joanie, Shirley and family. I will never forget her.
- Posted by: Bonnie Maksymowycz (Friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Upon her retirement I was Diane's replacement here at work. She was fiesty, yet a woman of deep feeling, compassionate, and direct but sweet. She wouldn't say alot, but when she did, people, including myself would listen. I will miss her.
- Posted by: Melody Raabe (Colleague at Aboriginal Affairs) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Diane and I had worked together for many years at DSS then again at Revenue Canda and Health Canada. What a truly wonderful person she was!! She was dedicated in her work and loyal to her co-workers and friends. Her joy of travel was shared by all and we loved to listen to her stories about her travels. I know her family will miss her so very much. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Karen Gislason (Co-Worker/Friend) on: Jul 3, 2012
- Joanie, I feel so sad for you in the loss of Diane. You and your family will miss Diane very much, but the memories of all your wonderful times together will never be fogotten. Diane will always be with you and in your hearts. My thoughts and prayers are with you all at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Alice (Friend) on: Jul 2, 2012
- I worked with Diane at HRDC so sorry for your loss
- Posted by: Dianne Cechvala (Friend) on: Jul 2, 2012
- Joanie and Shirley, I am so sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed hearing about the fabulous trips that you and Diane went on over the years. Those wonderful memories can never be taken from you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
- Posted by: Denise Carlyle (Friend) on: Jul 2, 2012
- Maurice, Shirley, Joanie and Jack
Please know that we are so sorry for your loss. There are no words. God bless!
- Posted by: Olga, Keith and Stacy Strand (Dear friends) on: Jul 2, 2012
- Diane, words cannot describe how much you will be missed. I have always been inspired by your zest to live life to the fullest. I always looked forward to hearing about the places you have been.. Your free spirit and love of life was contagious. I / we miss you Diane. Love Drew, Ruth, Ivy & Reid
- Posted by: Drew Olynick (Nephew) on: Jul 1, 2012
- Diane, you will be missed but will continue to inspire me and our family. I always looked forward to hearing about the places you have been or wanting to go and why. Your free spirit and love of life was contagious. I / we miss you Diane. Love Drew, Ruth, Ivy & Reid
- Posted by: Drew Olynick (Nephew) on: Jul 1, 2012
- I worked with Diane while she was at DSS and then HRDC. She was a wonderful friend - we went for coffee and lunch many times. She was extremely knowledgeable and highly skilled in Compensation Services. She had a great positive attitude and infectious laugh. I always looked forward to hearing about her worldly travels. She will be greatly missed. I extend my condolences to family and friends.
- Posted by: Helen Dyrkacz (Friend) on: Jul 1, 2012
- I've known Diane since I was a little kid. Me and my two brothers would always go see her whenever she was outside and talk all the time. I remember when me and my brothers would go trick-or-treating, Joanie and Diane would always have special candy and goodies wrapped in a halloween bag just for us. We shared such great memories since we knew her for a very long time. We are very glad to know the three sisters and it's sad that we had just moved a month ago but we will always be neighbours. You will be dearly missed Diane.
- Posted by: Sareena (Neighbours ) on: Jun 30, 2012
- Joanie - I am so sad for you - I know she was like my friend Cheryl to you - I feel the depth of your loss. I am here whenever you decide you need to talk to me.
- Posted by: Susan (Friend) on: Jun 30, 2012
- I'm so sorry to hear your family has suffered this heartbreaking loss. Hold on tight to each other and the memories of your beautiful sister. Her funloving spirit and infectious laugh will be remembered always. My sincere condolences to you all.
- Posted by: Dale Kokorsch (friend) on: Jun 30, 2012
- Diane has been the little sister family friend since she was 10 and I was 13, due to my being a lifetime friend of her older sister Shirley. As my boys came along, she always took an interest in what they were doing and had many conversations with them about their interests. She will dearly missed by the three of us. Love Susan, Davy and Kent.
- Posted by: Susan (Harby) Gower (Family Friend) on: Jun 30, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.