AA larger | smaller
TONY CAPUTO Suddenly on June 29, 2012 Tony Caputo passed away in La Salle, Manitoba at the age of 55 years. Tony is survived by his partner Laurie and her son Jay Summers; daughters: Jenna (Reymar) Mendoza and their sons Joshua and Manuel; Carmella and Nina Caputo; mother Nellie Caputo and brother Jerry Caputo. He was predeceased by his father Carl Caputo. Tony worked at Red River Valley School Division at Sanford, Manitoba, at J.A. Cuddy School. He also worked at St. Charles Golf and Country Club. Tony loved the outdoors and taking Laurie to see the sunset. He loved to cook and follow the Winnipeg Jets and going to Jay's hockey games. To the love of my life, I will miss you, words can't express. I love you, Laurie. Tony was a very proud grandfather and loved his daughters very much. A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday, July 7 at 9:30 a.m. at Cropo Funeral Chapel, 1442 Main Street. 586-8044
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 05, 2012
Guest Book(64 entries)
- I only found out today about Tony's passing; what a shock and a loss. My deepest, deepest condolences go out to Jerry and Mrs. Caputo.
- Posted by: Patti Hewak (friend) on: Aug 8, 2012
- Tony you were my always friend... But it just wasn't long enough! You will be part of me forever though in all you taught me about life... Living in the moment... Now is what is important... So many memories and good talks! I was so happy when Laurie came into your life! You were finally in a relationship like I kept telling you to look for... Awesome like you deserved! You will be forever missed! We were out of the country and missed the funeral... My condolences to Laurie and the family...your loss is huge!!!
- Posted by: Kim Thomas (Close friend) on: Jul 15, 2012
- I was devastated to learn of Tony's passing...he had a very kind and gentle demeanor about him. I knew Tony through working at St. Charles Country Club. May God grant his family strength at this very difficult time.....he will be missed immensely.
- Posted by: Florence Rebenchuk (co-worker) on: Jul 14, 2012
- Yo neighbor man! It's hard to fathom that you are really gone. Although we hadn't seen each other much of late I always knew you were there just being the Tony we all loved. My mind goes back to our days on the farm as we called it then. How every Saturday morning without fail you and the old green truck would head out to pickup your girls. How about those campfire breakfasts on Sundays and then hitting golf balls into the north field. How we built our screen house and all the parties and get togethers held there. I can still see you at the old barbeque we had preparing skewers as only you could. The late night gator rides to the back forty and beyond. What times we shared! Although you are gone these memories and many many more shall remain with me the rest of my days. Y
- Posted by: George Huston (Friend and Neighbor) on: Jul 14, 2012
- Tony, Yo-Tony C, Lover Dover Buddy !
Love @ first sight, didn't ever think it would happen to me. You are my prince charming as you called me your Angel. We loved, laughed and cryed together. Your passion, smile, laugh, arms wrapped around me. Saying "Do you know how much I love you! Yes, I was the lucky one to have shared this fantastic time with you lover. Soul mate I will miss everything about you Tony! Till we meet again, I will never forget Us! Love Laurie
- Posted by: laurie summers (love of his life common law partner) on: Jul 11, 2012
- Father. Grandfather. Son. Brother. Hall of Famer. Excellent guy. TC was one of a kind. If you knew Tony, you'd pick out his laugh in a crowd.
And what a sense of humour. No one could tell a story like Tony. You're going to be missed, big fella. But never, ever forgotten.
Jerry and I will toast you (several times) the next time we're at The Pony.
Love ya bro'.
- Posted by: Brian Smiley (friend) on: Jul 10, 2012
- My deepest sympathies to Laurie and family. Tony's wonderful sense of humor will be greatly missed. We shared the same birthday and a few laughs at the Northgate Bowl.
Laugh with the angels Tony.
Cheryl Bannerman (Sisler chum)
- Posted by: Cheryl Bannerman (old school chum) on: Jul 10, 2012
- I only know you as the "nice guy in the tank top who works at our school mom". To me, you are the nice guy in the tank top who works at the school who smiled and waved good morning everyday we saw each other heading to work. You do not even know me. And you made the beginning of my day with a smile and wave. Sorry to the Family for your loss.
- Posted by: Julie D. (friendly neighbour) on: Jul 9, 2012
- To Jerry
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Susan Smith on: Jul 9, 2012
- Tony was truly one of the good guys, gone too soon. My condolences to his family and loved ones.
- Posted by: Susan Rogers (Ryzowski) (Friend - Sisler Class of '75) on: Jul 9, 2012
- Tony was my boss at J A Cuddy school for almost 2 years before I moved away 4 years ago. All of my children enjoyed seeing Tony in the halls during school and always came home with a story of Mr. Caputo. I was sad to hear of his sudden passing. Tony will be missed by many and remembered by many more for his contagious smile and laugh. Our thoughts are with the family and close friends.
- Posted by: Tammy Glidden & Family (Ex co worker) on: Jul 7, 2012
- What a shock; so many great memories of time shared with a buddy who was always there when you needed a hand.
- Posted by: Tim Steinhauer ( A friend of many years) on: Jul 7, 2012
- Blessing to his partner, the family and friends at this time of sorrow. Remembering Tony as a happy go lucky type of person. I would run into him in Wpg years ago and he still looked the same and as always smiling and remember his sense of humour. Saw him at our high school reunions. Live life to the fullest . So sad! I was shocked. Thinking of him today. Cyndi Pidborchynski ,Vancouver,BC
- Posted by: Cyndi Pidborchynski (High School) on: Jul 7, 2012
- i just want say, my deepest condolences to your whole family Tony, thanks for the few good times we had together through my brother and friends, you were very personable and made people feel good around your company, always open with conversations, with a great attitude and smiling face, thanks for the memories buddy, see you on the other side, Darryl
- Posted by: Darryl Renaud (friend ) on: Jul 7, 2012
- When we received the news we were stunned. We shared many laughs, enjoyed playing/watching/discussing sporting events with you. You always made time to attend one of our functions. You spoke so lovingly of your daughters even though you were estranged from them, and when you became a grandpa the love just overjoyed you. When we lost Cory your loving words helped us through such a difficult time, we will never forget you buddy. Yeah, Baby!
- Posted by: Ray & Jo Wardekker (Friend) on: Jul 7, 2012
- Yo Pude, I can't believe your gone, but I know your waiting for us so we can field a full baseball team. I worked with you I played ball with you I'm in the Hall of Fame (twice) with you & went on Holidays with you. The most I'll remember you is your willing to help anyone anytime. My Mom & Dad a.ways talked about you now you can say hi to them for me. Love you Kid. Save a spot on the mound for me. Forever friends. Shoeman "14"
- Posted by: Bill Hasiuk (Best Man) on: Jul 6, 2012
- I remember Tony had the best curve all in little league and well beyond and he was a natural leader. My sincere condolences to Mrs Caputo and my friend Jerry. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Jamie and Teresa Kraemer (Old friend from baseball) on: Jul 6, 2012
- To Laurie and family, I am so sorry for your loss. Tony always walked down the hall with a smile on his face and a friendly greeting. He will certainly be missed.
- Posted by: Sheila Friesen (Co-worker, JA Cuddy School) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Tony your laughter made everyone around you smile and laugh with you. Every time we ran into each other it was as if no time had passed, you were always upbeat and positive and made that time special. You were an awesome teammate, friend and will be dearly missed. To your family, Tony was an amazing man and a "true friend". May I pass on my condolences as I am out of town and will be unable to attend the celebration of your life
- Posted by: Glenn Cordy (Frielnd.) on: Jul 6, 2012
- To all of the Caputo Family, especially his girls. It was 21 years ago we all met at Fabian's cabin. Our friendship became close through our children, who danced at the Ukranian Centre every Friday night. Then it was your house or ours. So many funny times, so much laughter. Then 10 years ago you held my hand every day, you were part of the guardian angels that surrounded Rick and I for his last 30 days. So many walks we took, so many talks we had. So many times we cried together. So many times you said hey Buddy "I love you". You had such great faith and you revealed to me your love for God and his son. I know you have taken your place in heaven along side The Arch, and teammates. It is their turn to say Hey How you doing? Because baby they do love you. I am so grateful for the time you spent with me, Bronwyn and Taylor. I will always love you.
- Posted by: Joanne Archibald (Long time friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Tony always with a smile and a kind word. Love to tell stories of the old days. Rest in peace.
- Posted by: Neil and Josie Avery (Friends) on: Jul 6, 2012
- My condolences to Tony's family. I was one of many of Tony's classmates from the '75 grad class from Sisler. And I echo the comments that have already been written from my classmates and fellow ball players. Tony was a special man. He always treated everyone with respect and would remember his friends. He was a great athlete and competitor, but always a gentleman. As many have quoted "Who loves you baby".....we all do!
- Posted by: Lance Vigfusson (Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- I am so deeply saddened to hear of the passing of my Uncle Tony. Although it has been many years since I last saw him, I have very fond memories of him and his infectious happiness. I don't ever remember there not being a smile on his face. Love ya Uncle Tony... You will be missed.
- Posted by: Lisa McLeod née Allan (My mom and uncle Tony were first cousins) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Our condolences to Tony's family. Tony was a great friend who will be terribly missed by all. He was always happy to see you and give you "the hug" with a smile from ear to ear. He always made you feel special and never hesitated to offer a helping hand. We wish you peace in this new journey. Until we meet again.
- Posted by: Patti Danyleko and Lloyd Swereda (Friends) on: Jul 6, 2012
- I am so sorry to hear of Tony's passing. I had not seen him for a long time but remember him as a warm, friendly guy.
- Posted by: Thom Wolstencroft (Played ball and hockey against Tony.) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Laurie, we're so happy that we had the opportunity to meet Tony at our wedding. I immediately felt the love between you and as you & I spoke at work at the end of the day that Friday, "It looks like you got a really great guy there" - my heart is broken for you and I hope that you will not forget that you still have my ear & my shoulder if you need someone to lean on. You're a survivor kiddo!
- Posted by: Chris & Terry Mellway (Friends & co-worker) on: Jul 6, 2012
- You were a very special person who always made us as your friends feel special too.
- Posted by: Bob and Norma Crawford (Friends) on: Jul 6, 2012
- My condolences to Tony's family and all of his loved ones.
May you Rest In Peace Tony
- Posted by: John Corrigal (Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- My sincere condolences to Tony's family and Loved ones.
- Posted by: Gary Zanewich (Friend, school mate, team mate) on: Jul 6, 2012
- My thoughts and prayers to you Laurie and family in this difficult time. Take care.
- Posted by: Louise Sabourin (Friend of Laurie) on: Jul 6, 2012
- I can't believe you are gone Tony. I will always remember your smile and your laugh. Good-bye for now my friend! Martin Miller
- Posted by: Martin Miller (Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- My condolences to the family. TC you will be missed by your family and friends but just to know you are now back with your real father in heaven. Tomorrow will be a life celebration for what you have done and all the joy you have brought many people while you were here. The one thing we know is our creator has a start and an end date in his plan for our lives that we have no control over. Say hi to Carl, Barry and Arch, and in Gods time we will be together according to his plan. Love you buddy.
- Posted by: Jim Fyfe (friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- A great friend lost too soon
As our rings are inscribed, truer words could never be: "Friends Forever"
My thoughts and prayers with your family at this time.
- Posted by: Cy Ducharme (Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
My condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.
- Posted by: Kerrie Dutchak (Friend from the CWB) on: Jul 6, 2012
- I remember Tony as far back as elementary school, he was always a nice guy. My condolences to the family.
- Posted by: Sharon Pospishell (Weppler) (Schoolmate from elementary school) on: Jul 6, 2012
- We had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Tony particularly through the beautiful smile he always brought to Laurie's face and to everyone around him.
Through the years we have always held the special bond with Laurie and when she and Tony got together - we truly felt that life does give gifts to great people.
Laurie, we love you and we share in your pain through this very difficult time.
Rest in peace Tony - we look forward to partying with you again.
- Posted by: John and Corinne De Decker (John and Laurie grew up together and stood as Maid of Honor at John and Corinne's wedding 22 years a) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Your Monday morning smiles, our sports chats, and willingness to lend a hand when needed, will sadly be missed. Take care.
- Posted by: Jona Green (Co-worker) on: Jul 6, 2012
- To my buddy T C
I was at the top of Whistler Mtn when I read the text msg, I am on vacation with my family and the news changed the day, Tony and I played ball on that Beavers team that won a ton of games and 2 years ago went into the Softball hall of fame, we probably played 3 or 4 hundred games beside each other in the field and I will never forget his smile, competitive spirit, and that laugh.... A great swing and a guy I would truly call a friend. I cannot get back for the funeral but I will be thinking of him on Saturday......I will shed a tear for my buddy but will be grateful for all those memories, I can hear you saying "YEAH BABY" even as I type this, I will miss ya buddy, glad we had that moment at my house before the Hall of Fame induction, never thought it would be the last time we talked. GOOD BYE MY FRIEND and rest easy. Proud to stand by you in the field for all those years ? Your buddy JANKER 88
- Posted by: Chris "JANKER" Jankowski (friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Tony, your time was too short. We last saw each other at the Sisler reunion as we celebrated turning 50. It was an evening reminicing about high school over a few drinks and seeing how time had treated us. Tonight I again look back over our past and smile at the memories. Here's to you Tony as you look down upon us with your famous smile, "who loves you baby"!
- Posted by: David Varga (High School Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Of all the people I have worked with, Tony was the best. He was a great friend and one of the best at his job at St. Charles Golf and Country Club. Tony always had a great attitude and never failed to say something to make your day worthwhile. He always had a smile and no matter how lousy your day was he always made it a great day. I always looked forward to my next shift with Tony. Buddy, I'll see you on your next shift. You'll always be in our hearts.
- Posted by: Peter Toth (friend / co-worker) on: Jul 5, 2012
- I am truly saddened to hear of Tony's passing. It brought back a flood of memories when we were kids just playing ball at CUAC. My condolences to family and friends.
Stan & Angie Didoshak
- Posted by: Stan Didoshak (old friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Laurie, Jay and all of Tony's loved ones, my heart goes out to all of you. I had heard many good things about Tony over the past year from my good friend Laurie. Finally, we got to meet just this past month when I was home visiting. I only spent one evening with Tony but it was enough to know what a wonderful, loving, caring and fun man he was. I can't count the number of times I heard him say `I Love You' to Laurie. Always carry those thoughts with you Laurie and know how lucky you were to have had that special love from someone. Till you meet again... xox
- Posted by: Sheryll Russell (Friend ) on: Jul 5, 2012
- My deepest condolences to Laurie & Caputo family. I will always have fond memories of my Uncle Tony & will never forget the bear hug and kind words from him when my father passed away. You were a good friend to my dad & I will always appreciate it. My thoughts & prayers go out to my cousins - Jenna, Carmella & Nina. A life gone too soon. Rest in peace Uncle Tony.
- Posted by: Larysa Kohaykewych (Niece) on: Jul 5, 2012
- My deepest sympathy to all the family. Tony was a great guy. Always a friendly smile whenever you saw him, and not an enemy in the world. May your faith help you all through this very difficult time
- Posted by: Donna Passante (School Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Many fond memories of Tony growing up at C.U.A.C. and Sinclair Park playing baseball and hockey. We will miss you dearly, rest in peace my friend. Gunner
- Posted by: Brian & Josie Gunn & family (C.U.A.C. & Sinclair Park) on: Jul 5, 2012
- I was so surprised to hear of the passing of Tony. A great guy and a young life taken too soon. My condolences go out to the family.
- Posted by: Jo-Anne Gardner (Brygidyr) (High School Classmate) on: Jul 5, 2012
- My condolences to Tony's loved ones. He was a sweetie in high school and I did have a crush on him. My heart hurts for his partner and children and so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Tony
- Posted by: Debbie Devine (High School Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Laurie, my thoughts are with you and Tony's family during this most difficult time.
- Posted by: Andy Klippenstein (Work with Laurie Summers) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Condolences to Laurie and the Caputo family.
Tony was a great neighbor and friend....ready to lend a hand when needed and always with his big smile and greeting "Hi, neighbour!" He will be missed.
- Posted by: Linda Norris (Neighbour at Meadowbrook, Sanford) on: Jul 5, 2012
- I was so shocked to hear of Tony's passing. We used to run into each throughout the years and we would have little chats. The last time I saw Tony was at the Sisler 50th birthday party five years ago and he told me how happy he was with Laurie. I went back last night and looked at my school pics and just looking at the kindergarten and Grade One pics, brought a smile to my face. Tony was just a great kid, a great friend (way back when) and a great man!. My deepest condolences to all Tony's family and friends. The world is a little less bright without Tony in it
- Posted by: Nanci Makichuk Dagg ((Classmate since Kindergarten)) on: Jul 5, 2012
- We were so shocked and saddened to hear of Tony's sudden passing. Over the years, we had gotten to know Tony through some close friends of ours and he truly was a lovely person. He had a joy of life and was a pleasure to be around. We want to express our deepest condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace, Tony. You left us much too soon.
- Posted by: Vivian & Brad Draward (Friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Gone too soon. What a surprise to hear you had passed. Your death has brought back a flood of memories of hanging out at Sinclair Park with yourself, Jerry & all those other zany Sisler boys! Rest in peace Tony.
- Posted by: Kardene Campbell (High School Classmate) on: Jul 5, 2012
- How very sad to see my old friend's life cut so short. I will always remember Tony's awesome, infectious laugh. Condolences to the family of this fine man.
- Posted by: Nola McLennan (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- We have fond memories of Can-Am baseball tournaments in Fargo. Tony was a dynamic individual and an asset to our team. He truly loved the sport, and we shared many laughs and great times both on the diamond and off. We were saddened to hear of his passing. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you during this most difficult time. May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead. Tony will be missed.
- Posted by: Gord and Brucie Kusmack (Friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Please accept my deepest sympathy Laurie. I wish you only the best during this difficult time.
- Posted by: Kevin Matthews on: Jul 5, 2012
- Tony you will be sadly missed. I enjoyed those times sitting with you, Brian and Jerry at Pony having a couple of drinks and lots of laughs. I will cherish those memories for ever. Until me meet again buddy!
- Posted by: Ron Dirr (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- My friend Tony. JA Cuddy will not be the same when we walk thru those doors in September. Always willing to help out. Taken too soon. Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss along with the rest of the family.
- Posted by: Tami Trylinski (Friend and co worker) on: Jul 5, 2012
- When news came of Tony's passing it was like a very bad dream. Tony's natural "Love of Life and his Friends" was meant to be shared for many more years. As Tony's friend he always made you feel like "you were the most important person in the world" during the times spent together. Tony loved life but more importantly he loved people. His hugs and famous "How You Doing" and "Who Loves You Baby" gave you a warm feeling and a true feeling of how very special he was.
One of the things that Tony loved more than life was his daughters. Never a time that we spent together did he fail to mention or speak about how proud he was of them. Ladies you should know that your Dad "Loved you more than Life itself and you were and are the most important things in his life". His eyes will still be watching over you - it's time to have your eyes opened to a very special man and Dad".
Tony, my friend, until we meet again you will always be in my thoughts. You are now on "Gods" very special ball team, starting in Centerfield, and joining Arch, Barry, Chuck and Darcy.
Until we meet again my friend.
- Posted by: Mike and Cheryl Fabian (Friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Our deepest sympathies to all of you.
We live in the Meadowbrook Development and came to know Tony as a great guy with a wonderful personality. He will be missed.
- Posted by: Carol & Joe Strike on: Jul 5, 2012
- Laurie and Tony's family,
You have lost someone very special and my heart goes out to you. Tony was more than a co-worker to me. He was always so helpful and a dear friend. I/we will miss our get togethers. He was so happy Laurie, and we knew he had found someone very special. I want you to know Laurie that we are here for you. Let us know if there is anything we can do.
- Posted by: Barb and Gary Rasmussen (friend and coworker) on: Jul 5, 2012
- To Jerry, Mrs. Caputo and family, Rick and I send our sincerest condolences to you on the sudden loss of your brother/son. Such a vibrant life cut short, may he rest in peace with his Dad.
- Posted by: Sue and Rick Ingleton on: Jul 5, 2012
- My dear friend, this is so sad you have left us far to soon. My condolences to Tony's family and loved ones. You will never be forgotten my friend. (Who loves you Baby)
- Posted by: Ryan Renaud (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
- We didn't know Tony for a long time, but whenever we were lucky enough to spend time with Tony and Laurie it felt like we'd known each other forever. It was just easy to be around him. He was kind, caring and had a great sense of humor - his laugh will be missed by all.
We were blessed to know him, and Laurie was blessed to have found the kind of love that some people search for all their lives.
Please know Laurie and Jay, our arms are wrapped tight around you - always. We are here whenever/wherever you need us.
- Posted by: Tina and Darryl Budge (Friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
- Rest in peace Tony.
- Posted by: Jim and Debbie Rey (Friend) on: Jul 5, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.