AA larger | smaller
ELAINE HICKERSON (nee PAXTON) Peacefully and surrounded by her family, Elaine Hickerson died on Tuesday, July 3 at the Grace Hospice. Elaine was the beloved wife and co-worker of her husband Bill for their 55 years together. She was the cherished mother of John (Alison), James (Donna) and Glen (Penny) and adored grandmother of Aaron, Lauren, Keith, Neil, and Amalia. She was a dear aunt, cousin and friend to many. Elaine was born in Gladstone, Manitoba to her parents Eleanor and John Paxton. She grew up there, attending school and helping with her father's well-known creamery. Her neighbour Joyce became her friend for life and they were together to the end. Upon graduating she moved to Winnipeg to attend United College, completing a B.A. and building lifelong friendships. There, she met theology student Bill Hickerson who would become her husband and partner in life. Elaine enjoyed working at CancerCare Manitoba and, before that, at Westminster United Church. She found great meaning in her work. Elaine was proud of her volunteer work with the United College (University of Winnipeg) Alumni Association. Elaine and her family thank the staff of 5E at St. Boniface Hospital, at CancerCare Manitoba, and at the Grace Hospice. Elaine's family thanks her extended family of Immanuel United Church. Elaine wished that those remembering her make a donation to a charity of their own choice. There will be a service celebrating her life on Saturday, July 7 at 11:00 a.m. at Immanuel United Church, on the corner of Golspie and Kimberly.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 05, 2012
Guest Book(12 entries)
- Forever remembered as such a good person and friend.
- Posted by: Donna Pacholok (Friend and work mate) on: Jul 9, 2012
- I have valued Elaine's presence for over 55 years and pay tribute to her warmth, friendliness, dedication and generosity. To Bill and family my deepest sympathy.
- Posted by: Joan Newton (Friend and fellow classmate from United College) on: Jul 8, 2012
- Dear Bill and Family,
We treasure the years that we worshipped and made music together at Riverview United United Church. Elaine was an enthusiastic and valuable of the choir. May God be with you at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Don and Kathy Askholm on: Jul 7, 2012
- I'm grateful for having known Elaine. I'm grateful for her class, her laughter, her courage, her efforts in keeping our class together, her and Bill's hospitality when I was passing through Winnipeg, their friendship over all those years. I wish her Godspeed on her great final journey.
- Posted by: Marianne Forsyth Vespry (college classmate and friend ) on: Jul 7, 2012
- Elaine was a model for us all -- I'm thankful for the privilege of having known her. I'm grateful for her class, her compassion, her wisdom and courage, her efforts to keep our class together, her and Bill's hospitality when I was passing through Winnipeg, their friendship over so many years.
I wish her Godspeed for the great final journey.
- Posted by: Marianne (Forsyth) Vespry (college classmate, friend) on: Jul 7, 2012
- Thinking of you Uncle Bill, John,Jim, Glen and families,at this difficult time. Aunt Elaine was a truly lovely person and we feel blessed to have known her. Our prayers are with all of you at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Bruce and Laura Hickerson and family (Nephew) on: Jul 7, 2012
- John, Jim, Glen and families, Elaine was a marvelous and beloved substitute Mom as I was growing up. She was truly strong woman of God and I mourn for your loss
- Posted by: Doug Ingram (Family Friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Bill, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family on the passing of Elaine. I was a cashier at Safeway and remember when you and Elaine would come in and she was so kind and had a lot of empathy for the job that I did. Then I found out that you were a minister and seemed more connected as my husband Bruce is a minister too. I will miss her too. Take care and God Bless.
- Posted by: Elaine Gelhorn (friend) on: Jul 6, 2012
- A wonderful person, excellent singing voice in our choir, and always friendly. My deepest sympathy to Bill and the family, sorry I will be out of town when the funeral takes place.
- Posted by: Ruth Turnbull (friend from Good Neighbours Senior center) on: Jul 6, 2012
- Always remembered for her friendly smile and strong singing voice. A great friend.
- Posted by: Harold Casselman (Singing partner with the Good Neighbors Choristers) on: Jul 6, 2012
- John, Jim, Glen and families
I have many happy memories of your mom - from our New Year's dinners and word games, to her caring support when our folks died, to seeing her when she was at CancerCare and I worked at HSC.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you
- Posted by: Joyce Kristjansson (former neighbor) on: Jul 5, 2012
- We celebrate the delightful and dedicated life, faith, and friendship of dear Elaine. To Bill and family we extend our love and sympathy. We are so very thankful for you both, and for all you mean to us in rich spirit and service. God's blessings of comfort and peace to you always. Edith and Gordon
- Posted by: Edith and Gordon Swan (College classmates and friends) on: Jul 5, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.