AA larger | smaller
IAN RODERICK MCGREGOR June 14, 1935 - July 10, 2012 After a lengthy illness Ian passed away at home. Left to cherish his memory are his wife Joyce, son Robert (Cathy), daughters June Rempel and Diane (Keith) Kowalchuk, stepdaughter Patti (Jim) Bews and stepson David (Heather) Sullivan. Ian also leaves to mourn his brother Murray, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his son Donald and brothers Roy, Neil and Paul. Ian worked for the city of Winnipeg for 31 years and was in the Militia for 26 years. He also belonged to the Manitoba Collectors Club of Canada and his interests were genealogy, carpentry, woodcarving and puzzles. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society. Funeral service will be held on Tuesday, July 17 at 2:00 p.m. at Chapel Lawn Funeral Home, 4000 Portage Avenue. REST IN PEACE Chapel Lawn www.chapellawn.mb.ca 885-9715
Publish Date: Jul 16, 2012
IAN RODERICK MCGREGOR June 14, 1935 - July 10, 2012 After a lengthy illness Ian passed away at home. Service details are pending and a longer notice will follow in Monday's paper. Chapel Lawn www.chapellawn.mb.ca 885-9715
Publish Date: Jul 14, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 16, 2012
Guest Book(5 entries)
- Many years ago when Ian contacted me, it was a lovely surprise to find out about him & our mutual family going back to the 17/18 hundreds in Scotland. Then his visit to us when we were in Florida was special. We have kept in touch over the years so it is with sadness I say, Goodbye Dear Ian. We had fun, & you taught me a few great dance steps too.
- Posted by: Ethel Doughty Chisholm Doughty (Full cousin) on: Sep 20, 2012
- Diane, your father had a good send off as many friends stood at the grave site yesterday. I will miss seeing him around Minto. I will miss him at the annual August Cameron's reunions. I will miss his "What are you doing here Nickerson" greetings at those reunions. He will be missed and remembered.
- Posted by: Mike Nickerson, CD (A comrade) on: Jul 18, 2012
- Dad I have many good memories with you, going to Minto as a kid and learning to do drill on those huge painted on foot steps they had on the floor in front of service batallion at Minto Armouries. I remember a long life of doing political campaigns with you! Going to conventions just you and me! I remember you teaching me how to ride that little blue bike, I still am shaky on a bike. I remember going to Minto with you to start the museum, you taking me to Mr. Grahams for bagpipe lessons then to Minto for lessons, then driving me to Heather Bells then the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada. I remember you watching me go through and pass basic training, you were so proud (I was the only girl). I remember you bragging when I fought the federal gov't. (NDHQ) and won an 8 yr. battle. It was in the papers, on the radio and all over the news, that changed a lot of rules for women in the Canadian Forces! You told me (you did good) I remember you were best man at Keith and my wedding at the Law Courts Bldg. May 25, 1990. You and Keith were giggling like school girls running across Broadway to get a hotdog lol. I remember all those many campories we went to when you were a CB'er, going to Rock Lake to build your house, dancing around the fire pit, teasing my friend Dianne Dufrat because she went to (MTC). I remember watching the Variety Club Telethon when they anounced IAN MCGREGOR as one the longest, dedicated sponsors - they presented you with this giant cake! We ate that cake for a week! I remember you buying the 1st Dodge Caravan the 1st day they arrived in Wpg. 1985 - cranberry red!(with air conditioning). I have a lot of good memories dad, I wish I could be at your service today but Keith's job starts today in Moose Jaw, Sask. After 3 months of being out of work it was impossible to make it back for both financial and long distance reasons! I will be there in spirit. I miss you dad for the last 3 yrs. when you stopped talking to me (those were the toughest yrs.) When mom died last year I sure wished you were there! I wish you peace dad, no more pain and suffering, I forgive you for turning your back on me when I did what you told me to do! I forgive you dad for everything. You're at peace now, so you can rest, you deserve it! I will always love you, my heart is breaking (you were my mentor). Good-bye dad I love you xo Diane
- Posted by: diane kowalchuk (daughter) on: Jul 17, 2012
- Twice he was there for my Dad and I have never forgotten that. Thank you, Ian.
- Posted by: Bruce Thomson ( Friend of family) on: Jul 16, 2012
- Sarge was a terrific guy.
- Posted by: Silent Viking (Friend) on: Jul 16, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.