AA larger | smaller
DAVID JOHN FOLEY It is with a broken heart that I announce the passing of my true love, Dave, on Monday, July 16, 2012, at the Riverview Health Centre, after a courageous battle with cancer, at the age of 53 years. Dave was taken far too soon but left this world with courage, strength and dignity. Leaving to mourn Dave's passing are his wife Sandy and his best friend, his devoted dog Katie; stepchildren; Ashley Porter and fiancé Lee Milne and Ryan Porter; mother Jean Foley; sisters, Brenda, Lynn, Donna, Janice, Pat and Mary; brothers, Jim and Paul and their families; as well as numerous friends who will cherish his memory forever. He was predeceased by his father Gerry Foley. Dave had a special gift that allowed everyone something unique to say about him. Cherish those memories forever as he cherished and valued your unconditional friendships. At Dave's request, no formal Funeral Service will be held. A Private Family Service will take place at a later date. If friends so desire, go have a beer next Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at the local watering hole between 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m, with his long-time buddies to honour this incredible man. I would like to thank everyone that has given us the strength to fight through this journey. No amount of words can convey the love we received from our families during this time. A special mention to my girlfriends for the love you gave to us this has been a long journey for you as well, thank you. Also, thank you to the doctors and nurses at Riverview Health Centre, Palliative Care 3E. In lieu of flowers, donations in Dave's memory may be made to the Winnipeg Humaine Society, 45 Hurst Way, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 0R3. From the words of Dave, I will always keep you loved, safe and warm. Please be kind to one another.
Publish Date: Jul 21, 2012
DAVID JOHN FOLEY On Monday, July 16, 2012; David died at Riverview Health Centre at the age of 53 years. A longer obituary notice will follow in Saturday's newspaper edition.
Publish Date: Jul 19, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 21, 2012
Guest Book(14 entries)
- I learned just recently by chance through Brett Richot who worked at Midas, 555 Pembina along side my x husband Bob Gibson. I had to have a lawnmower tire repaired and decided to stop in Birds Hill on the way home and that was when I came across Brett. After Brett and I talked and found out my x used to work for Midas, then he filled me in on the rest. I was devastated to learn of the passing of Dave Foley. I will miss you "Gumby", that was the nick name that Dave had when we used to snowmobile together back in the 80's. My x husband Bob Gibson was "Pokey" as he named Dave "Gumby" so Dave said then you will be "Pokey". The reason he got the name was caused by not only the quirky sense of humor that Bob had but the night's moonlight had cast shadows on all of us that made everyone look funny and Bob said Dave looked like "Gumby". So they were known by Midas people as Gumby and Pokey. We lose touch with alot of those people in our lives and we really shouldn't. Just because of a split up. I am sorry I wasn't there for you Dave. I came to see you once after my split up and I had every intention on keeping in touch but life just happened. We did have a connection at one time and I will keep that memory near and dear to my heart. As a friend, I will always love you. My most sincere condolences to your wife and family. Maybe I was not supposed to find out until now as my Father passed away July 4th, 2012 and he also resided at Riverview Health Care Centre, so really I was closer to Dave than I thought. I just didn't know it. Rest in Peace Gumby, you will always be Gumby to me. When God created you he created someone special!
- Posted by: Denise Shanoha (Gibson) (friend) on: Aug 29, 2013
- My heart skipped a beat when I read of Dave's passing, Far too young, my sympathies to Sandy and the Foley family. I write this with a smile on my face and tear in my eye remebering Dave. Rest In Peace Friend.
- Posted by: Cliff Graham (Friend) on: Jul 24, 2012
- We had many great memories with Dave. Some of which are Countryfest, the cottage life and many more. We miss you dearly and will always remember......
- Posted by: Allison and Trevor Feltham (Friend) on: Jul 24, 2012
- I first met Dave through my father Rolly and immediately we became friends. Numerous times while Dave worked at Midas on St. Anne's Rd, he helped our entire family with car repairs which further enhanced our friendship. He was always one to say yes, even on the spur of the moment. He would even lend out his cottage to our family without hesitation. Always wanting to share in his good fortune. Truly he will be missed. Love ya Dave.
- Posted by: WAYNE J PILON (Friend) on: Jul 23, 2012
- My condolences to the Foley family-----I will always remember Dave with a huge smile on his face. He always seemed so happy!
- Posted by: Gayle Houle (Mitchinson) (high school friend) on: Jul 23, 2012
- I'm Sorry I missed saying good bye to Dave. He was a friend of mine from a very young age but as you grow older we grow a part.
But never forgoten and when we see each other it's like we were never apart friends forever. I will see you all at George's for a drink for an old but not forgoten FRIEND!!
My deepest condolences to Dave's and Sandy's family's
- Posted by: Derek Hogaboam (Old Friend) on: Jul 22, 2012
- Sandy - we are so sorry to hear of Dave's passing. Our condolences are with you at this very sad time.
We've known Dave for 20 years along with his dogs George and of course Katie girl. Our dogs loved each other they were either at Dave's or Greg and Sharons or our place. Dave loved coming out to the cabin and was great to see him each weekend. We will miss you deeply as a neighbour and as a friend. Love ya man! Rest in Peace.
- Posted by: Wendy, Berto and Daniel Zilli (Neighbours at the cabin (Lac du Bonnet)) on: Jul 22, 2012
- I was shocked to learn of David's passing. He was far too young to die. I remember him as a young boy growing up in Westwood across the street from us. My condolences to his mother and siblings, and to his wife and family.
- Posted by: Cathie Morgan Matula (old neighbour from Wordsworth Way) on: Jul 21, 2012
- Sandy my deepest condolences. Thinking of you in this most difficult time. U will be missed Foley. Rest in peace.
- Posted by: Lainie wurtz (freind,co-worker) on: Jul 21, 2012
- I remember meeting Dave back in 77/78 when I was hanging out with my great friends , the Zimmermans, in WestHawk & Falcon. Dave was with a friend, Bruce Whitehead and I recall how funny they were. They had this saying : Chopay Dik! That meant : it's all good/catchya later. But I still see the expression on Dave's face when he said it. Like a pup , trying to get what you're saying. Funny the things you remember-a memory that makes you smile. Dave worked with my husband,Wayne,&Wayne's brother,Rodger at the Midas on Nairn. That was in the 90's. Small world,isn't it? So my heart goes out to Dave's wife,and family. It's just so sad! Take Care. Remember your journey together 4-ever...that will never be taken from you!
- Posted by: Danielle Giesbrecht (Long ago friend & my husband's (Wayne Giesbrecht)Midas co-worker ) on: Jul 21, 2012
Thinking of you in this most difficult time. Sending waves of love, and strength.
- Posted by: Jennifer Carlson on: Jul 20, 2012
- So very sad to read. Dave was far too young.
He was a very nice young man when I knew him, kind and considerate. Rest in Peace old friend.
- Posted by: Kathy Bell(Noonan) (High School Friend) on: Jul 20, 2012
- My deepest condolences to the Foley family - he will be missed. Keep hold of the memories.
- Posted by: Laurie Van Elslander (Friend) on: Jul 20, 2012
- Sandy, my Heartfelt Sympathy to You, Your Family & Dave's Family. A Beautiful Love Story, A Beautiful Man, A Beautiful Life Taken Far too soon. Dave is with you now & always Sandy ...Love Carol Sterzer...
- Posted by: Carol Sterzer (Friend) on: Jul 20, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.