AA larger | smaller
ELEANOR SALUK June 19, 1943 - July 18, 2012 On a beautiful sunny day, after a courageous battle with cancer, Eleanor passed away peacefully at the Concordia Hospital, surrounded by her loving family. She will be sadly missed by her son Randy and daughter-in-law Leona, her cherished granddaughter Hayley, all of Selkirk; brother Ray (Anne) of Lac du Bonnet and sister Marie Kiernicki (Laurence) of Winnipeg and many nieces, nephews and friends. She is also survived by her very close nephews Ryan (Aynlsey and Jack), Kyle (Melissa and Chloe). The boys thought their aunt Enno was pretty cool as she could drive a semi. Predeceased by her husband Henry on January 16, 1991; mother Mary on September 27, 1991; father Joseph on June 13, 1995 and her treasured friend Don Primeau on August 3, 2010. Eleanor Grace was born June 19, 1943 in Beausejour, MB to Mary (nee Homeniuk) and Joseph J. Struss. She married her high school sweetheart Henry Saluk on June 30, 1962. Together they started Wonder Shows in 1963 and operated until Henry's sudden passing in 1991. With the help of her family, Eleanor kept the show going until 1999. With her strong work ethic, Eleanor encouraged the purchase of Tinkertown Amusements and remained actively involved. You could always find her working at the gift shop. She loved talking to people and being close to her family. Eleanor would arrive with a feast of lunch, so no one would ever be hungry. She had a great love for birds and animals, and fed everything that wandered into her yard. A great cook, Eleanor loved entertaining friends and family and was known for her elaborate Christmas parties and family holiday feasts. Her table always had a place for a few more. She was generous in so many ways. Her life centered around her granddaughter Hayley, who in return was there for her in her final days. Throughout her life and her illness, she remained fiercely independent and never complained. She had a great sense of humour and loved life and lived it to the fullest. Eleanor appreciated nice things but had very down to earth values. She always felt you had to work for what you had. Before and during her illness, Eleanor received a great deal of spiritual guidance and comfort from her dear friend, Most Reverend Archbishop Stefan Soroka. The family wishes to thank, Debbie and Mel at the Selkirk and District General Hospital, chemo room. Also Dr. Demsas, and Dr. Lindenschmidt, for their years of compassionate care. Eleanor has left a huge void in our lives. Cremation has taken place. At her request, there will be no formal service. If friends so desire, donations may be made to the Humane Society, 45 Hurst Way, Winnipeg, MB R3T 9Z9, or a charity of one's choice. The Show Must Go On Good Night Enno Gilbart Funeral Home, Selkirk in care of arrangements. www.gilbartfuneralhome.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 21, 2012
Guest Book(23 entries)
- I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Eleanor. She was such a beautiful lady and aways had a smile on her face. Whenever she would see us at Tinkertown she would always stop to talk - never too busy to say hi. To Randy, Leona and Haley, my condolences go out to you. "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die."
- Posted by: Debbie Draward (friend) on: Aug 1, 2012
- I'm very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to Randy and family. My thoughts are with you.
- Posted by: Ralph Skrepich (Friend) on: Jul 28, 2012
- Eleanor was always so kind hearted. It has been an honor to have know such an amazing woman.
- Posted by: Erin Blahitka (Friend) on: Jul 26, 2012
- Such a loss to us all. Our sincere condolences.
- Posted by: Debbie and Larry Okolita (friends (share aunt and uncle - Fank and Anne Struss)) on: Jul 24, 2012
- I have many fond memories of times with the entire Saluk family and I am happy that I had an opportunity to visit with Eleanor at Tinkertown prior to moving to BC. My condolences to Randy & Leona and all the other family and friends in their time of loss. Heaven certainly has another angel.
- Posted by: Rhonda White (Weidman) (Friend of the Family) on: Jul 24, 2012
- Eleanor and Marie were the two smiling faces at Tinkertown and it was always so nice to see the both of them. Just want to let all the family know that we are thinking of you at this time and hope all the wonderful memories that you shared are close to your heart.
- Posted by: Al and Corie Siddle Matthewman (friends ) on: Jul 24, 2012
- Randy and Family,
Sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Our sincere condoloences to you all.
- Posted by: Jackie Sokoloski & Family (Cousin) on: Jul 24, 2012
- Eleanor was truly one of the most amazing women I have ever met. And will be missed by all that knew her. My deapest sympathies to all her family,
- Posted by: Guy (Walker) on: Jul 23, 2012
- We are so sorry to hear the passing of Eleanor, Great great lady the whole family was great. Henry would be there with open arms. Now the two of you could walk once again hand in hand. All our love to the family.
- Posted by: The Park family (Old Neighbours (Kirkness)) on: Jul 23, 2012
- I am so sorry to hear of Eleanors' passing. She was an especially kind lady with a bright smile and I was always most happy to "bump" into her at the Centrex trade show where I worked every year. My most treasured memory of Eleanor is while she worked/attended the Christmas craft sale at Middlechurch Home in West St. Paul. I attended the craft show, loaded down with 2 sleeping babies, stroller, baby bag etc. and was just trying to figure out how I was going to navigate the booths with all my gear. Like a GIFT, I ran into Eleanor and Marie, who offered to take my babies briefly, so I could shop for a few minutes in relative peace. I couldn't thank her enough for this small token of help. She will be greatly missed.
- Posted by: Lori Childs (Friend of the family) on: Jul 23, 2012
- I have great memories of working for Eleanor and Henry so many years ago. They are together again, and doing what they loved the most. I am very sorry for your loss and you are all in my thoughts.
- Posted by: Susan Bonner on: Jul 23, 2012
- I remember Eleanor as always being so fun loving. Her smile & hugs greeted many with sincere warmth and she always took time to chat, no matter how busy she was. She had a way of making everyone feel special. Her loss will be felt by many. Our prayers and thoughts go out to her family.
- Posted by: Colleen Mortimer (Sleva) & family (Family Friend) on: Jul 23, 2012
- Sympathy to the family. We will always remember her kindness to our family in Green Oak.
- Posted by: Nancy and Ron de gagne (Neighbours) on: Jul 22, 2012
- Our deepest sympathy to Randy and family. Your mom and dad were a fond part of our life growing up as kids. Your mom will be truly missed but always remembered for her kindness, generosity and gentle nature.
- Posted by: Brenda Lange (Krawchuk) (family friend) on: Jul 22, 2012
- We shared many many 'Special Memories' with you, Eleanor & Henry. RIP Til we meet again.....
- Posted by: Bob & Lorraine Drewlo (Long-time Friends) on: Jul 22, 2012
- I was very sorry to hear of Eleanor's passing. I spent a good part of my childhood with Eleanor, Henry and Randy going away on weekends with Wondershows. Poor Henry and Eleanor had their hands full with me and Randy together but they were the most kind and loving people ! I will cherish the memories forever! My condolences to the family! Xoxo
- Posted by: Pam Ashton (Friend) on: Jul 21, 2012
- During our phone conversations, Eleanor always mentioned the loving care of her family and friends. We admired Eleanor for her strength of character and sense of humour. She will be lovingly remembered by us. Rest in peace dear Eleanor.
- Posted by: Diane & Bob Valcourt, Calgary (cousin) on: Jul 21, 2012
- Eleanor will be sadly missed. Her grace, beauty and poise along with her strength, faith and humour made her a true Steele magnolia. Rest in peace, Sweet Eleanor.
- Posted by: Autumn and Randy Draward (Friends) on: Jul 21, 2012
- My sincere condolences to Eleanor's family. It is a sad time for everyone fortunate enough to have known this lovely lady.
- Posted by: Kathy Barber (RHS Law Office) on: Jul 21, 2012
- Eleanor was a remarkable lady. She had a smile for everyone and the resolve to continue regardless of what life dealt her. (The show/life must go on.)
To Randy and family, our sincere condolences. Don & Bonny Hutniak
- Posted by: Don & Bonny Hutniak (Friends) on: Jul 21, 2012
- We are so sorry to hear of Eleanor's passing. Henry must be so happy and I am sure heaven is where Eleanor wanted to be for a long time. She was a special lady and her family was so lucky to have her.
- Posted by: Alan and Sandi Bodnarchuk (Friends) on: Jul 21, 2012
- A truly great woman, mother, wife and friend. She will be missed by many.
- Posted by: Robert Young (Friend) on: Jul 21, 2012
- eleanor was a lovely lady and kept wonder shows at the top. I have many memories of her and henry way back then. Condolences to the family.
- Posted by: mel stefaniuk (friend) on: Jul 21, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.