AA larger | smaller
ALLISTER THOMAS RODGER It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Allister Thomas Rodger on August 18, 2012 at the Gimli Community Health Centre at the age of 56. Allister leaves behind his loving partner Mary-Jane Dufanal; her children Olivier, Veronick and Kristine. His son Calum (Waleska); siblings Maureen (George), Jim (Susanne), Bill (Suzanne); niece Jennifer (Dave), and nephews Justin, Jordan, and Jonathon. As well as a multitude of friends. He was predeceased by his mother Janet; father Ian, and nephew Krisjan. Allister was born in Pine Falls, MB, he went on to play bagpipes at a competitive level and won several awards. Allister worked for Shell Canada for several years and had a passion for what he did. His sense of humour and playfulness will be missed. Calum Dad you have taught me so much about life and how you should appreciate every moment. You will always be my mentor and role model and I hope one day I will be half of the man you were Mj will dearly miss Allister at their Winnipeg Beach home, long walks, and crib games. In lieu of flowers, friends may donate to a charity of their choosing. A memorial service will be held in the Gilbart Funeral Chapel, Selkirk, MB on Friday August 24, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. Gilbart Funeral Home in care of arrangements. www.gilbartfuneralhome.com
Publish Date: Aug 22, 2012
ALLISTER THOMAS RODGER Peacefully, on Saturday, August 18, 2012, at the Gimli Community Health Centre, Allister Rodger, passed away at the age of 56 years. Full obituary will follow in Wednesday's edition of the Free Press. Gilbart Funeral Home, Gimli in care of arrangements.
Publish Date: Aug 21, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 22, 2012
Guest Book(19 entries)
- I just found out about my friend Allister. I will truly miss him. We had many special times together. I will forever cherish them. I have always loved you. Jodie
- Posted by: Jodie (old friend) on: Apr 5, 2013
- Calum, my deepest condolences to you and your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
- Posted by: Elizabeth and Cody Figueiredo (co-worker/friend) on: Sep 5, 2012
- Enthusiastic, dedicated and hard working. That's what I recall about Allister. We had a lot of fun and success during our working years together. Best wishes to his loved ones during this difficult time.
- Posted by: Marv and Betty Anne Goodwin (Work Colleague ) on: Aug 24, 2012
- Maryjane - I am thinking of you and would love for you to stop in Gimli and spend a bit of time together. Anytime you are feeling you need a break or change of scene give a call - a pesty 2 yr old can kinda take over...and well sometimes that a relief. whole hearted hugs and much love from Clarina, Andre, Saige and Lily Rae
- Posted by: clarina taylor (new friend) on: Aug 24, 2012
You, Maureen, Jim and Billy are basically members of our extended family.
The intial members of the Stirling Pipe Band that excelled in performances and masters of many. Allister (Bless his heart and gentle soul) was the first to survive my Dad's mentorship. He (as well as) all of you were a true dream come true for Bill Mac Leod.
Allister (with his gentle soul and Lord knows how much patience) related to Bill (as did all of you) so very patiently, with absolute determination (via competitions and band pride).
Allister, maintained contact with me after Dad's passing. His pride in his endeavours,
his own personal issues, his own expectations, as well as his own complete successes speak undeniable volumes. May HE be at peace with the knowledge that HE was a valued member of a very extended family.
My heart n' soul wishes all of the family members Peace of mind in the knowledge that He will be missed BUT forever REMEMBERED!!
I will see all of you tomorrow.
May his spirit soar as well as flourish.
- Posted by: Bonnie Lenton (nee: MacLeod) (Family friend and mentor) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Too young so sad will miss you driving down the lane (slow and safe)and waving. My condolences to Mary Jane
- Posted by: Paul & Jeannette Leveque (Friend and neibour 4 doors down) on: Aug 23, 2012
- We recall fond memories of you, Allister, aka Allister McAllister, aka Allie Oop...always on the go as a young man, perfecting a kid-mission and so disciplined with your pipes. Kind and patient...even with that long trip to Winnipeg General when you were about 5 or 6 with a fish hook in your eye...never uttering a yelp as you were held for hours on that train ride to the hospital with family so attentive to you! Joan and Julie recall you as the 'little Elvis'...so handsome! We will honour you and the love you brought to your family and friends, Allister. The love you have for your only son, we know will live on in Calum and siblings; Maureen, Jim and Bill. Until we meet again...on behalf of the Rousseau's of Pine Falls, Joan Rousseau. X0X0X0
- Posted by: Joan Rousseau & the Rousseau Family (Sand Box Buddy and Childhood Family Neighbours) on: Aug 23, 2012
- We shared adventures - from boxing in the back yard on Cedar Street; hanging out in the camper on Cypress, late nights in Winnipeg and even in Saskatoon. I've missed him over the years.
So competitive, so ready to laugh, so gleeful in pushing a joke. I will remember his smile and the sparkling glint in his eyes.
My heartfelt sympathy to Mary-Jane, Calum, Maureen, Jim, and Bill.
- Posted by: Gordon Bartlett (friend) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Allister through the years you made me proud to be your sister-in-law. I remember all the good times so well that we had while I was living in Canada. You and Sue made me welcome in your home. I remember when Calum was born he was just an hour old you were so proud but afraid to hold him, how I teased you over that! You will be missed dearly. May God bless you my dearest brother-in-law
- Posted by: Angie Locke (Sister-in-law) on: Aug 23, 2012
- MJ. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AT THIS TIME. SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOVE. I CAN'T BE THERE ON FRIDAY BUT KNOW THAT MY THOUGHTS ARE THERE. FEEL ALS' LOVE WHEN YOU GO PICKING YOUR SAND STONES. LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU KID
- Posted by: LINDA FROM THE LODGE (FRIEND OF MJ) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Dad you have brought me so much happiness in life and have taught me so much. I regret that I never told you how much I looked up to you and wanted to be exactly like you. God bless you dad. I love you so much and always will.
- Posted by: Calum R (son) on: Aug 22, 2012
- My condolences to everyone in the family on Allister's untimely passing. He was always one of the "big boys" I looked up to in competitive piping. I also knew of him and his family through my cousins, the Pedens in Pine Falls, who were neighbours. As a member of the St. Andrew's Pipe Band, he was more recently a member and a supporter of the group, and I was able to catch up with him after being out of the province for a few years. God Bless Allister, I hope you are playing in that big massed band in the sky...
- Posted by: Heather Wiens (friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- we have had the honor of knowing Allister thru Mary-Jane. Allister was a perfect match for Mary-Jane. with a great sense of humor they made each other laugh alot. you could see the love and respect that they shared between the two of them. Allister will be dearly missed.
- Posted by: Cyndi &,Chris, Adam and Sarah (friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Our prayers to the Rodger family and Mary Jane & family..........
- Posted by: Tim Fitzsimmons & Family (former co-worker) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Our hearts go out to the Rodger family and to my sister Mary-Jane. Even though we had never met Allister we know he had made a loving impression on my sister and for that we are thankful.
- Posted by: Rick & Jan Gildart (Brother and Sister-in-law) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Allister & my big brother Tej were good friends. They played together in the pipe band in Pine Falls, went to school together & our families have been friends for years. My heart is breaking for all of you & you have my deepest sympathies. There are no words........ My love & prayers to all of you. I know what it is to lose a brother too young.
Namita, Donald, Trystan & Peyton
- Posted by: Namita Walia-Nault (Friend of family) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Almost 20 years ago you came to Winnipeg driving your Ford Taurus, full of excitement and enthusiasm, as the newly assigned Winnipeg Turbo Territory Manager.
After rejecting your offer for a site that didn't fit my wishes, you hired me to run Keewatin Turbo, and I matched your enthusiasm. I thought I was running a 100 square foot Walmart, not a Turbo kiosk.
Well I am still in the industry and as recently as the Tuesday before your passing I was quoting you at a dealer meeting.
You might be gone, but you will live on in the hearts and minds of YOUR team... What a ride those Turbo days were.
- Posted by: Tony Magian (Friend) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Our deepest condolences to the Rodger family. It is always a shame to see someone so young taken from our lives. Remember the great times that you shared with Allister and celebrate his life as we know your family will.
- Posted by: Donald and Laurie Oliver (Family Friends) on: Aug 21, 2012
- I will always be grateful to Allister for making my friend MJ the happiest girl in the world. Je t'aime mon amie, et mes pensee sont avec toi. Je te souhait du courage, des bonnes pensees et seulement les memoires heureuse. pam & brent xox
- Posted by: pam and brent avender (friend of Mary Jane) on: Aug 21, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.