AA larger | smaller
DENNIS HAROLD CLEVE Peacefully, on August 19, 2012, with family at his side, Dennis passed away. Dennis will be missed by his daughters Tara Cleve (Trevor Horvath) of Winnipeg, and Alanna Cleve of Montreal, and also by his partner-inlife, Myrna Leinweber, her children Jeff Leinweber (children Sarah and Madeline) of Winnipeg and Barry and Alison Zerbin of Oakbank. Dennis was born in Winnipeg on October 21, 1943. Dennis worked in economic development with the federal and provincial governments in Ottawa and Winnipeg and with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. He retired in 2008, but got great satisfaction from a weekly volunteer assignment with Habitat for Humanity Winnipeg focused on sustainable, affordable housing. Dennis also loved music and for many years volunteered at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. Dennis was a long time member of the Charleswood Rotary Club. A Paul Harris Fellow, he took great pleasure from fellowship at weekly club meetings and was actively involved in many club projects and fundraisers including the annual Lobster Dinner. Dennis loved the game of golf and was a lifelong high handicapper. For several years he was a member of the Steinbach Fly-In Golf Course but also enjoyed playing with friends on a variety of courses around the province. A second love was curling and Dennis enjoyed the competition as well as the opportunities to socialize with friends. More recently, Dennis and Myrna enjoyed winters spent in Palm Springs, California. They devoted many hours to and took great pleasure in updating a mobile home. They also enjoyed travel to Portugal and Italy. Cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 23, 2012, at Glen Lawn Funeral Home, 455 Lagimodiere Blvd. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to CancerCare Manitoba or Habitat for Humanity Winnipeg. The family would like to thank Dr. A. Maksymiuk and nurse Shelli Faulkner as well as the staff of CancerCare and GD4 of Health Sciences Centre. Family and friends may sign a Book of Condolence at www.glenlawn.ca. Glen Lawn Funeral Home 982-7550
Publish Date: Aug 22, 2012
DENNIS HAROLD CLEVE Peacefully, on August 19, 2012, with family at his side, Dennis passed away. Cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 23, 2012 at Glen Lawn Funeral Home, 455 Lagimodiere Blvd. Full obituary to follow in Wednesday's edition. Family and friends may sign a Book of Condolence at www.glenlawn.ca. Glen Lawn Funeral Home 982-7550
Publish Date: Aug 21, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 22, 2012
Guest Book(24 entries)
- Sympathies to Dennis' family. It was great to work with him for many years at Folk Fest. He is listening to the best all the time now.
- Posted by: Barbara GrahamNorth (Folk Festival Crew Colleague) on: Aug 25, 2012
- I send my deepest sympathy to Myrna and to Dennis' family and friends. I enjoyed having Dennis and Myrna as my next door neighbors when they were in California in the winter.
- Posted by: Gary Willhide (Palm Springs neighbor) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Tara, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. May you find comfort in all the memories you share, my thoughts are with you!
- Posted by: Kelly McCallum (Gies) (Friend of Tara) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Our condolences to family and friends. We shared a lot of good times in Ottawa and Winnipeg over the years. Always looked forward to seeing Dennis on his trips to Ottawa. He will be sadly missed.
- Posted by: Ron and Pat Docking (Friends) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Our sympathies to Myrna and families on the passing of Dennis, we hold you close in our prayers.
- Posted by: Connie Plunkett and Ward Wallace (Friend) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Our deepest sympathy to Dennis' loved ones and especially to Myrna whom we met through Dennis at one of our New Year's Eve parties. We are thinking of you at this sad time.
- Posted by: Cindy & Perry Blair (Friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- My deepest sympathies to daughters Alanna and Tara and partner Myrna for your loss. Dennis was a good work colleague who was fair and honest throughout. A good man and a friend. I will miss our periodic contact since we both retired.
- Posted by: Henry Goy (Work Colleague and Friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Our thoughts, prayers and sympathy are with you and your family, Tara.
- Posted by: Phil and Heather Gies and family (Friends of Tara) on: Aug 22, 2012
- So long old buddy. It was a great ride and you made a difference! Ron
- Posted by: Ron Gilmore (Classmate - University of Manitoba) on: Aug 22, 2012
- My sorrow is great for all of Dennis's family and friends, especially for Myrna who took such great care of Dennis during his time of illness. I think of you always and how lucky Dennis was to have had you by his side.
- Posted by: Shirley Hemmett (Friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Cannot add much more than is above. We met about 20 years ago. He was always available as a friendly and good listener. We will miss you and think of you as someone who left us much to soon. Dave and Irene Craig.
- Posted by: Dave Craig (Friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- So sorry to know of your loss - Dennis was a good man, someone I remember fondly. Tara and Alanna, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Joanne and Chas van Dyck (family friends ) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Myrna, Tara and Alanna it is with deep sadness that we hear of Dennis' passing. He was a great friend and will be remembered fondly. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
- Posted by: Jim and Joan Ward (Friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- My thoughts and prayers are with my good friend Myrna, her family and Dennis's girls. I will miss our annual Palm Spring visits and will hike the trail for you. Rest in peace.
- Posted by: Joan Price (Friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Our condolences to Tara and Trevor on the loss of your father.
- Posted by: Rena and Jim Parker (Friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Dennis was a good person -- someone we will all remember fondly. Jeff and I send our condolences to Tara, Alanna and Myrna as we know how much you will miss him.
- Posted by: Bev Mehmel (Friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- From high school to university and on - a wonderful friend with whom we shared so many good times. Our hearts go out to Myrna, the girls, and Dennis's many friends and family, all of whom will feel his untimely loss.
- Posted by: Eric & Val Williamson (Friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Dennis was a true and close friend in our university years and for many years after. Even if we lost close touch we stayed in touch. Dennis completed his MBA and was the inspiration for me to do the same. He was a scholar, a leader and an all around great person. Dennis was always there to help others. My deepest condolences and those from my wife Joyce go out to all the loved ones and close friends of Dennis. Dave and Joyce Jardine of Calgary.
- Posted by: Dave Jardine (Close University friend in the Faculty of Engineering) on: Aug 21, 2012
- We were truly saddened to hear of Dennis's untimely passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family.
- Posted by: Emma & Tom Forbes (Friends) on: Aug 21, 2012
- More than a golf buddy:
Dennis was a true friend and an honourable, compassionate, fair-minded rational individual.
In our university days Dennis and I joined the same fraternity. We avoided the word "frat", thinking our group was a collection of literate gentlemen (though not opposed to partying). Dennis was then and always a true gentleman - a rare quality valued by us all.
Jessie and I send our condolences, especially to Myrna, Tara and Allana. We are certain it gave him great comfort to have you there at the end.
"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is not to die."
- Posted by: Jim Bulloch (friend) on: Aug 21, 2012
- My prayers and sympathy to the family. Sorry I cannot attend and I will miss Dennis who had become more than just a neighbour to us. Please take care and I pray that time and God can help to heal everyone.
- Posted by: Roland Hoffman (friend and neighbour) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Our deepest sympathy to Myrna, her family and to Dennis's family. Our thoughts are with you at this time of sorrow.
- Posted by: Garnet & Betty Woodman (Friends) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Remembering the good times we shared. Goodbye friend! Sorry you had to leave this world so young! Rest in peace.
- Posted by: Carolyn & Fred Hill (Friends) on: Aug 21, 2012
- I'm so glad I got out to see Dennis. Irene and I send our deepest sympathy to Myrna, Allana and Tara.
So sad he is gone but very glad he is no longer suffering.
Love, Marshall and Irene
- Posted by: marshall cleve (cousin) on: Aug 21, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.