AA larger | smaller
DOUGLAS WILLIAM EVANS July 21, 1950 - August 27, 2012 Unexpectedly, following a tragic incident on West Hawk Lake, we reluctantly let Douglas Evans go from us on Monday, August 27, 2012 at Kenora District Hospital. Funeral arrangements pending. Longer obituary to follow. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE 204-949-2200 nbardal.mb.ca
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 29, 2012
Guest Book(27 entries)
- I met Doug about 50 years ago! I have special memories of his mother Lil taking care of us energetic teenagers and especially feeding us "Gurney burgers" at the cottage before we went out on the town. Doug was always a happy and welcoming friend over the years. I will miss him. Nick Logan
- Posted by: Nicholas Logan on: Sep 23, 2012
- We send all our warm love to Doreen, his children and Doug's "BIG" family. The capacity of his embrace in terms of how many people he cared for, touched and loved is testament to his spirit. Doug and I met way back when at Sir John Franklin C.C., mine and his daughter Tara's home club. He and I coached and managed the Tweens, then the Junior Belles and Belles...and then the Debs all through Tara's ringuette career(I forget what he called you Tara...something like the rocket or the like because you were such a wild cat out on the ice). That was a few years! Our friendship continued albeit a quick hello here and there. He was great with my boys!...A good man, a good friend, a sage with great one liners and a fabulous sense of humour. Big hug to you Tara. xoxox colette
- Posted by: Colette, Rémy and Michel Pellerin (dear friends) on: Sep 13, 2012
- I'll never forget getting back to the Hotel Pepita in Cozumel with a raucious wedding party that I was about to finish certifying. From the second story came a rather loud " Hey can you keep it down! ". It was Doug with that big grin. No explanations were needed , that was Doug. It was a pleasure working for and with him in the dive industry. He will be missed. My condolences to Doreen and the family. Till we meet again my friend.
- Posted by: Phil Cottingham (friend) on: Aug 31, 2012
- Though I was only on the fringe of Doug's life, I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. As a long time employee of Doug's close friend Mike I had the great pleasure of sharing many impromptu visits and phone chats with Doug over the years and he always brightened my day. He was so full of life, warmth and especially humour! My heart goes out to his family and close friends, I know his loss leaves a huge void. I am very thankful to have known Doug, he was one of kind.
- Posted by: Sue Searles (friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- We were shocked to hear the sad news. Our deepest sympathies to all his family and friends. He will be missed.
- Posted by: Natasha and Sam Kravtsov on: Aug 30, 2012
- On behalf of all of us in the PADI world family I extend our deepest sympathies to the family, friends and colleagus of Doug. Doug was a great guy and a passionate and gifted diving instructor. He had a gift for being serious and focused where it mattered and fun and carefree where it did not. His sense of humor and that look, (you know that look he would give you when he was playing with you) always made me smile. Doug was one-off, there are no others and that's a shame because we could use more people like that. We were blessed to have him and will miss him dearly. Randy Giles, PADI Canada.
- Posted by: Randy Giles (PADI) on: Aug 30, 2012
- A competitor and a friend.
We'd both have a good laugh about the day I called him up and asked for his wife's phone number. I told him it was because I was going to ask her to marry me (as marriage commissioner).
Our thoughts are with Doreen and family -Ross & Debbie
- Posted by: Ross Newton (Friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- I'll treasure the dives I did in Cozumel with Doreen Dougie and Leebeau years ago. Leebeau and I bobbing away at the surface gazing at the most gorgous sunset waiting for Dougie to surface. Dougie called me just weeks ago to inform me of our mutual friend Bruce Martin's passing. I'll miss ya buddy !!! My regards to Doreen and all the kids. You're all in my prayers............Lenny G
- Posted by: Lenny Graceffo (Friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- In life's journey, everyone we meet influences our lives and character. Some more than others. I met Doug nearly 40 years ago when I was a univerity student and joined the company for which he worked in industrial sales. His raucous character was infectious and we became fast friends. When I rejoined the company after my third year, I was saddend that Doug had left the company. He called me on my first week back on the Friday afternoon and told me to "get down here" for a job interview. My career path, many friends, contacts and associates I have made since that call have brought me to here, this moment. His wisdom, humour and help over the years was greatly appreciated. My thoughts are with all those he leaves behind and I will miss him greatly.
- Posted by: Mike Franzmann (Friend, associate) on: Aug 30, 2012
- My deepest sympathy goes out to Doug's loved ones, and his "extended" family! You are all in my thoughts and prayers during this extremely difficult time.
- Posted by: Carla Blowatt (Friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- We partied once upon a time ....we once did a live aboard in Austrailia....and we had just laughed about my scuba boat sinking in Mexico.....but what I am most grateful for beside our frienship is his teachings of being a safe scuba diver that has carried me over these many years....he has taught so many people scuba diving and has given them so many life memories....the key word being life...live it well
- Posted by: curtis clossin (fellow diver and life traveller) on: Aug 30, 2012
- Doug always made me laugh [deep belly laugh] so much that it would always hurt. We had the awesome opportunity to share our experience strength and hope at different schools, comunittees, and treatment centers over the past 18 year [as long as I have been around the rooms] I had grown to love Doug, he always made me feel like I had a spot in his heart and I will surely miss his presence but I know he will always be with me. My deepest sympathy for his lovely wife and all the kids and grandchildren which he loved so much. From all of us.
- Posted by: Raymond Mager and family (friend \sponsee) on: Aug 29, 2012
- I was friends with Doug for the past 8 years. He was a true friend from day one before we even really knew each other and our friendship quickly grew as I continued diving with him. He was always telling me the best places to dive and helped shape who I am as a person today.
His advice was always sound both in life and diving. I will miss our late night Thursday chats at the shop.
I will always remember our ice dive at West Hawk where we flipped upside down on the ice and towed (ski) out of the hole with our fins facing up to the horror of the line tenders.
- Posted by: Kelly Van Caeyzeele (Friend/Dive Student) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Doreen; I am so sad to hear of the loss of Doug. I will miss him at the noons and mon night. God bless Doreen and family in this difficult time.
- Posted by: Roland Demarcke (freind) on: Aug 29, 2012
- I always looked forward to our weekly "discussions", my friend. Your presence is missed and Winnipeg won't be the same without you.
- Posted by: Mitchell Lepine (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- What can I say. Doug was as all his friends know "Dougie". Forty years is too much to sum up in a few words. The next daiquiri is for you Doug. See you on the other side.
Glenn and Kathy
- Posted by: Glenn and Kathy McRae (a very close and long time friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Gone on the greatest dive trip.
- Posted by: Grant Demetrioff (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- I knew Doug for 20 years now. Doug loved to laugh as much as he did dive or maybe more. Doug liked to be very goofy at times as he had nothing to hide even his twisted sense of humour sometimes, we all loved him for. I love Doug for the wonderful friend he was to me and many others as well. I call him my mentor as we talked about some very intimate things and I was able to learn much from this compasionate man who was ready to share his heart with anybody who was willing enough to reach out to him. I will miss Doug dearly but will never forget him, his laughter still ringing in my ear and his infectious smile imprinted in my mind. Love you Doug.
- Posted by: Kim Day (Doug was a wonderful friend and mentor of mine.) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Doug and my ex-husband Dave dove together, and got along like two peas in a pod...could have been twins. I am very sad to hear of Doug's passing. Many great memories at West Hawk. My deepest sympathies to family and friends. Take Care.
- Posted by: Nicole Krostewitz (Diving) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Doug and I have been friends and business competitors since 1996. I will miss our long conversations on how to make our scuba industry better.
- Posted by: Dave Alderson (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Shocking! Sad! Too Soon :-)
Lots of great memories of activities with Doug. Laughing, crying, debating, EATING, sharing, celebrating, eating.
A good friend has gone and all I have are the memories and I am grateful for them all.
Doug helped me to be more honest about myself, others and life. He will be sadly missed.
Good bye Doug..............
- Posted by: Richard (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- I was with Doug on Sunday at West Hawk as I was his student over the weekend. Even though I have only known him for the past year, we would sit at his shop talking for long periods of time shooting the crap about almost anything.
I really feel for his family and friends and give them my deepest sympathies.
- Posted by: Gary Wlasichuk (Student) on: Aug 29, 2012
- There are so many great stories about Doug but my favourite is a campout in 2001 and Doug and Doreen were there. It was late and people were sitting around a camp fire. I was near under the rain shelter, feeling scared and alone and had started crying.
Doug came up and said "First camp out, hey kid"? I shook my head. He said " Do you remember the show where the guy with his two fingers would squish people."? I shook my head again.
So we squished some people at the campfire, Saying, not too loud. "I squish you". By the end I was laughing so hard, I had to go to the bathroom.
My condolences to you Doreen and your children and grandchildren and other family members.
Doug will always be in my heart. I will miss Doug very much.
- Posted by: Karen Shubaly (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Thank you for coming into my life - albeit too short.
- Posted by: Fjola Hart Wasekeesikaw (Friend ) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Hard to imagine. I really enjoyed our conversations at the store.
- Posted by: Simon Haxby (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- Doug was a true friend for over 15 years. We were supposed to have lunch this week. He will be truly missed
- Posted by: Scott Allingham (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
- My deepest sympathies. I just ran into Doug @ Walkers on Friday. He pulled in just after we did (myself & Vince) for their pork on a bun. Had a really good visit before we went our separate ways, very hard to believe he is gone. I still smile every time I remember the dive we did on the America @ Isle Royale.
- Posted by: Bob Bartmanovich (Friend) on: Aug 29, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.