AA larger | smaller
JOHN WALTER (J. W.) FRIESEN John, beloved husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, passed away peacefully in the Lord's presence after a challenging battle with cancer on January 1, 2013. John was born in Winnipeg on February 8, 1936 to Peter and Anna Friesen, the third of seven children. He grew up on the family farm near Oak Bluff, Manitoba and fulfilled his dream by purchasing a farm, together with his wife Helen, in 1961. He retired from farming in 2002 but remained active helping neighbourhood farmers till August of 2012. John enjoyed life to fullest spending time with family and friends, travelling south for the winter, but his greatest joy and passion was farming. John loved his wife Helen; his children Doug, and Cheryl (David) Balzer; grandchildren Bryan and Leah Friesen, William and Carl Wiebe, Emily (Brent) Karmason, Amanda (Tim) Wieler, Amber (Mark) Stewart and great-granddaughter Charlotte. John is survived by three brothers and three sisters. Our family would like to thank all those who supported us throughout dad's illness. Thank you to Doctors Macek and Borrett and the staff of 3 South at Grace Hospital for their compassionate care for John and their kindness to our family. Viewing will take place on Monday, January 7, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Portage Avenue Church, 1420 Portage Ave., followed by a private family interment. A celebration of John's life will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Monday, January 7, 2013 at Portage Avenue Church. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Family Network or MCC.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on January 05, 2013
Guest Book(12 entries)
- Until you meet again . .
Our family shares our condolences with you.
- Posted by: Perry and Traci Stephenson on: Jan 7, 2013
- "Jolly John" will be greatly missed. He was a cheerful and compassionate man. Our condolences go to Helen and family.
- Posted by: Al/Sharon Nickel (Arizona friends) on: Jan 5, 2013
- Our condolences to Helen and Family .May God comfort you at this time as you morn John's death and celebrate a life well lived .
Sincerely Art & Caroline Penner,Burnaby ,B.C.
- Posted by: Art & Caroline Penner on: Jan 5, 2013
- May the Peace of Christ be with you, Helen and your family!
- Posted by: Don & Gloria Dyck (Friends) on: Jan 5, 2013
- Dear Helen and family. My sincerest sympathy
to you. As you continue to look to God may you experience His comfort and peace which passes all understanding.
- Posted by: George Enns (Friend) on: Jan 4, 2013
- Johnny always had a hearty laugh and was guenuinly happy. As a neighbour: Remembered well is his interest in the family farm heritage, his powerful way of saying his dog Boomer's name, his love for puff wheat cake, and his expressions in enjoying his wife Helen and family and friends. What a good neighbor and helping man. He will be missed. May God supply Helen with peace knowing he has gone on before her into his perfection. My condolences to the family.
- Posted by: Judy Wollf (20 yr +Oakbluff farm neighbour) on: Jan 4, 2013
- Our condolences to you Helen and to your family on the loss of John. He was a great guy who loved life!
May the promise of the Resurrection be your comfort, even as you sorrow.
- Posted by: Dave & Helene Teigrob (Freinds) on: Jan 4, 2013
- You, Helene and John, were always very dear friends. John's joyful laugh is still a boost as we remember it. God bless you and your family Helene. Together with you we trust in God as we face the future. Irene and Abe Neufeld.
- Posted by: Abe and Irene eufeld (Fiend and former Pastor) on: Jan 4, 2013
- Although we have known John as a friend for about 60 years, this friendship was rekindled over the last 7 years since we moved to Arizona. John & Helen spent several months in Arizona each winter and we had the good fortune to be able to spend time with them and amuse each other with past memories. This winter already has an empty feeling with the knowledge that this chapter is over. Dear Helen and family, please accept our most sincere condolences and know that you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers as you deal with your loss.
- Posted by: Vern & Alice Voth on: Jan 4, 2013
- Marston Meadows has lost a wonderful neighbor and true gentleman. We will all miss his wonderful laugh and smile! Condolences to Helen and family.
- Posted by: Dan & Christiane Charpentier (Neighbor) on: Jan 4, 2013
- Dear Helen and Family,
Words cannot make your loss less great.
May our God of comfort grant you peace at this time as you mourn John's death and celebrate a life well lived
Roma Klassen Niessen Kelowna BC
- Posted by: Roma Niessen (Friend) on: Jan 4, 2013
- Our condolances to Helen and Family
- Posted by: Ed Klassen (Friend from 10-6 Days) on: Jan 4, 2013
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.