AA larger | smaller
JOHN MCLEOD 1947 - 2013 It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of John McLeod on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at St. Boniface Hospital. Left to cherish John's memory are his stepchildren Jeremy, Jason and Gaylena. He was predeceased by his parents Duncan and Betty, and his beloved wife Rita. John was a wonderful man with a heart of gold. He was loved, respected and very much appreciated by his stepchildren. They will miss his sense of humour, his love and constant support. He enjoyed sports, both watching and playing. Jason has many happy memories of them playing basketball together. John loved the simple things in life; staying at home with Rita watching a movie, she with her glass of wine, he with his can of Tab. Born in Eau Clare, Wisconsin, John later moved with his family to Las Vegas as a teenager. In 1967 he came to Winnipeg to work at the Winnipeg Free Press and later had a long, successful career at Costco. He was passionate about electronics and loved sharing his knowledge with customers. John took many trips to Las Vegas with Rita and her children, and reveled in the role of tourist guide for a city he loved. They had so much fun as a family; these trips created many happy memories for Jeremy, Jason and Gaylena. They are memories they will always cherish. A Celebration of John's Life will be held on Friday, February 8, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. in Westwood Community Church, 401 Westwood Drive. A donation in John's memory may be made to CancerCare Manitoba, 1160 - 675 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0V9, or online at https://www.cancercarefdn.mb.ca (Ways to Help). Richard Wojcik, Funeral Director of Wojcik's Funeral Chapel Crematorium, is in care of arrangements, 204-897-4665. John is now at peace, hand in hand with Rita, his soul mate and best friend. To quote Gaylena: "My brothers and I now have another angel to watch over us."
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on February 06, 2013
Guest Book(18 entries)
- Met John playing basketball at the YMCA on Fermor. Probably around 1985. It was just a pick up basketball league. Having said that, we all play (or try to) like we are in highschool playing for the championship!!! He was a strong competitor and a great runner. He had a nice shot! John would always be talking on the court and had a great sense for the game.
I just found out tonight that he passed!! So sorry! After ball tonight we all went for a beer like most nights after ball. We started talking about guys that used to play. I mentioned John and someone said he had passed. It was sad to hear. I was shocked. John was a fiery competitor on the court but nothing but a gentleman any other time. He will truly be missed by the guys from Wednesday Night Basketball!
- Posted by: Dave Harrison (YMCA basketball and later Wednesday night at Grant Park HS) on: Apr 25, 2013
- It was a privilege to work with John at Costco for a short period of time (2012-2013). Thank you John for being a part of my life and many other peoples lives. You touched so many hearts. John was such an amazing human being, and a close friend that was a co-worker of mine. It seemed that everytime I was around him, he also had a great sense of humour, made everybody smile in his presence and reading all these tributes made it very profound that he brought out the best in other people's lives. The best in others, but more importantly than anything else he was an honest person as well as a genuine human being that will be deeply missed. I am truly grateful to have worked with John for as long as I did. In closing, John was very intelligent and a very welcoming person, but the quote that really summed up his life to me was quoted by Arthur Schopenhauer who once said " Talent hits a target no one else could hit; genius hits a target no one else could see". The reason I use this is quote is because John had so much in-depth knowledge of electronics and learned alot from him that will be useful for the rest of my life. John will always be remembered and missed, but never forgotten. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Be at peace.
- Posted by: Derek Loewen (Friend/ Co-Worker) on: Feb 9, 2013
- It was a privilege to work alongside John at Costco, albeit for a short period of time. John was a level-headed, intelligent and welcoming person, and you knew right away why he meant so much to everyone around.
My condolences to the family and all of John's friends.
- Posted by: Cody on: Feb 9, 2013
- Gene & I are very sorry to hear of John's passing. He was a very down to earth kind of guy yet lots of fun. Rest in peace my friend. We are so glad he found his soul mate in Rita, it was what he was always looking for. Our prayers are with his family
- Posted by: Gene & Sharon Trudeau (McKay) (Friends ) on: Feb 8, 2013
- It was a honour to have known you sir. My thoughts and prayers go to your family. We will miss you
- Posted by: barry keeley (friend) on: Feb 8, 2013
- Johnny was the most "stand up" guy I ever met. He never judged anyone, and was always willing to lend a hand to anyone. A true gentleman. RIP my friend, you will be missed.
- Posted by: wes freund (friend) on: Feb 7, 2013
- John...the best of the good guys! He will truly be missed by those of us in his Costco family. He will always remain in our hearts! To his children, may you hold onto the memories to keep you strong!
- Posted by: Heather (friend/co-worker) on: Feb 7, 2013
- Johnny!! Love his mighty Indy Colts and mighty Peyton Manning, also his Tab drink. We talked a lot about NFL football. Love talking to him about a lot of things. Very caring person! My thoughts and prayers to John's family.
- Posted by: Barry (Friend) on: Feb 7, 2013
- John you'll be Sadly Missed. I Loved the talks we had about Vegas and what to do next. Rest in peace. My Thoughts and Prayers go out to Jeremy, Jason and Gaylena.
- Posted by: Margaret (Friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- We all had a lot of fun in the seventies, dinner parties and card playing John taught us the Las Vegas games. John loved his sports and played basketball whenever he got a chance. Sorry to hear of his passing.
- Posted by: Patricia Gray (close friend in the seventies) on: Feb 6, 2013
- My thoughts and prayers are with John's family during this difficult time. I had the privilege of working with John at the Winnipeg Free Press. He would always ask me with his warm smile and huge laugh if I was still trying to curl and that he was waiting for me to win the "Silver Broom" and I would have to remind him it was the Brier I was trying get to. Rest in peace my friend. You will be sadly missed but never forgotten.
- Posted by: Boyd (Friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- We have lost one of the greatest people in the world. He has touched so many people with his friendship, strength, wisdom, and love. He will be sadly missed but forever remembered.
- Posted by: Tracy Boyer (Friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- John we sure had some fun times working together at the Free Press and what, we ended up working together again at Costco
We both thought a lot of you. Your suffering is over. We will always remember your wit and kindness
- Posted by: Marcel & Ann LaBossiere (friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- We were sorry to hear about John's death. Our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Our deepest condolences to the family.
- Posted by: Heather Meginbir (The Greene family) (neighbour) on: Feb 6, 2013
- John was a very special person...
Our thoughts and Prayers are with his family during this difficult time.
He will always be fondly remembered...
- Posted by: Al and Maureen McDonald (friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- John was a great brother-in-law, and we are blest to have had him in our family. We love you and will miss you, John.
- Posted by: Henry and Eleonore Esau (Brother-in-law and sister-in-law) on: Feb 6, 2013
- Where u come from you, you. Was Johny's and my favorite saying to each other. He will be sadly missed!! I pray for strength and peacefulness for his family. Rest in peace Johny!!! We all love you!!!
- Posted by: Stacie (Friend) on: Feb 6, 2013
- John will be sadly missed and fondly remembered. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during their time of sorrow. Be at peace.
- Posted by: Marisa on: Feb 6, 2013
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.