AA larger | smaller
STEVE MAKSYMETZ It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Steve Maksymetz on Friday, March 15, 2013 at his home in The Pas, MB after a battle with cancer. Steve was 71 years old. Steve was preceded in death by his friend and companion of 19 years, Evie Daily, brothers Morris and Fred, sister Mary and sister-in-law Vivian. He is survived by his three children, daughter Lisa and Jim Gibson of Houston, TX, son Jason and Kathleen Stevens of Calgary, AB, son Jonathan of Winnipeg, MB and grandchildren Curvin, Brooklyn and Dylan. He will be missed by his brothers, sisters, many nieces, nephews, cousins, extended family and his beloved buddies Duke and Sparky and his many friends in The Pas and elsewhere. Steve was born to the late John and Anne Maksymetz on February 23, 1942 in Venlaw, MB. He attended Kolamayja School before moving to Winnipeg and eventually relocating to The Pas in the late 1970s, starting a log hauling business which he continued to operate until his death. Steve was an avid pilot holding his private pilot license and flying his Mooneys for more than 40 years. He was a proud born-again Christian and devout follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ. A funeral service will be held in The Pas at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 23, 2013. Please contact Hemauer Funeral Home for further details: http://www.hemauerfuneralhome.com
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on March 18, 2013
Guest Book(4 entries)
- So sorry for your loss Lisa, Jason and Jonathon.
I will always remember Uncle Steve as being a lot of fun to be around as he always had the funniest jokes and seemed to really enjoy entertaining all of us when we were kids.
As we grew older we didn't see him very much, but at the last reunion we spent quite a bit of time chatting out on the lawn and playing with his dog. Seeing him at the reunion was definitely one of the more memorable highlights of the get together and I am thankful to have had that chance to spend time with him.
Peace Be With All of You.
- Posted by: Sherry Gray (Zelisney) (Niece) on: Mar 21, 2013
- My deepest condolence to Lisa, Jason and
May the spirit of your dad live forever
in your memories and in your heart.
Rest in peace Uncle Steve.
- Posted by: Linda Blair (Niece) on: Mar 19, 2013
- We will always remember Steve as always havng a smile on his face. I talked to him about a month ago and we remembered the good and the fun old times. It was sad to hear that he had cancer, but as Steve would only do, he decided to battle the cancer on his own terms. Rest peacefully Steve. We will miss you! Kim and Elsie
- Posted by: Kim Czechmeister (Pypka) and Elsie Pypka (Uncle and Brother-In-Law) on: Mar 18, 2013
- I will always remember Steve flying me to my grandfather's funeral in southern Manitoba and landing in a terrible cross wind at the Rossburn air field. I realized then just how gifted an aviator he was. When we landed, he definitely had a look of relief but did not show any fear at the crucial moment and the guys at the airstrip were impressed to say the least. I will never forget Steve as a step father either and am thankful for knowing him. Rest in peace.
- Posted by: Mike & Krista Moisan (Step Son) on: Mar 18, 2013
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.