AA larger | smaller
GERALD RAMON ZYLICH February 4, 1953 - April 18, 2013 It is with sadness that we announce the passing of our son, brother, uncle, who took his last flight. Leaving to remember him is his mother, Ann, brother, Steve (Susan), sisters, Beverly (Gary), Shirley (Brent) and Terry. Gerald is predeceased by his father Walter (Zeke). Gerald served with the UN Peacekeeping Force in the Egypt in 1974. While there he was instrumental in foiling a brutal assault on a civilian and received letters of commendation from the civilian authorities and the military command. In 1976 in Canada, he was awarded the Governor General's Medal of Bravery for the daring rescue of two military pilots from their burning aircraft. Gerald went on to get his private pilot's license, then his commercial pilot's license with float endorsement. He flew extensively in northern Manitoba and NW Ontario as a bush pilot. In 1985 he became a Journeyman plumber and pursued this as his main career for the rest of his life. He loved hunting and fishing, acquiring master angler awards along the way. A private family celebration of his life has already been held. Should friends so choose, a donation in his memory would be welcome by any charity.
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on May 04, 2013
Guest Book(8 entries)
- Has been a year on April 18th/2013 since you've been gone.I miss you each & everyday. Always in my heart today tomorrow & always. Til I see you again Ger. Love Always Bonxo
- Posted by: Bonnie Simpson (Fiance/C.L. partner) on: Apr 17, 2014
- I was a good friend of Gerald's sister Beverly who was 1 year younger than me. The Zylich family lived right across the street from us and I have many memories of Gerald as the kid brother. He was always on the go from morning till night. I left Cartwright in 1965 to go to university and lost track of the family who for many years were a big part of the neighborhood and therefore of my life as well. What an exceptional life Gerald led. My deepest sympathies to the family.
- Posted by: Forbes Newman (neighbour) on: May 24, 2013
- So sorry to hear of Gerald's passing. My thoughts go out to his family and partner Bonnie. Mention of Gerald's passing in "The Southern Manitoba Review" (Cartwright). What an exciting and wonderful life he had! Gerald was older than me, a class or two ahead, in Cartwright Elementary School, but I remember him. Was in class with Gerald's brother, Steve.
- Posted by: Penny Macklem (Steel) (classmate of Gerald's brother Steve.) on: May 24, 2013
- MY true love-- as he told me I was his forever-always. Will miss him so very much & will always be in my heart.-- My G-Man xxoo
- Posted by: Bonnie Simpson (Fiance & common-law partner for 15 yrs.) on: May 19, 2013
- Living across the back lane in Cartwright Gerald was always ready to play. Lost touch with the family but still remember. I am truly sorry for your loss.
- Posted by: Hugh Richards (Very Old Cartwright Friend) on: May 12, 2013
- Sorry to hear about Gerald's passing. Although I've never met your family yet, I still feel obligated to send our condolences. So sorry.
- Posted by: Dan Zylich (Distant relative--Ron's brother) on: May 8, 2013
- Our thoughts go out to Gerry's family and friends - from the Massachusetts Zylichs - Sincerely' Ron & Robbi and family.
- Posted by: Ron Zylich ("Cousin") on: May 8, 2013
- I pass along my condolences to the family. Shirley was one of my best friends in school and I also went to school with Gerry.
- Posted by: Judy Morris (friend) on: May 7, 2013
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.