AA larger | smaller
LARRY IRA OBERLANDER Peacefully on January 30, 2014, Larry Oberlander passed away at the age of 71 years. Larry leaves to mourn his passing his wife Ellen; son Jason (Dawn); daughter Mika (Jude) Sanson, all of whom he was enormously proud. He also leaves his adored granddaughters Piper, Kael, Stella and Marin and his brother Mel in Costa Rica. Larry made his living at Assiniboia Downs as a jockey's agent and he loved the horses and the people on the backside. He was a loving and loyal friend. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Larry's name to The Winnipeg Humane Society. A memorial service will take place 1:00 p.m., Sunday, February 2, 2014 at Bardal Funeral Home, 843 Sherbrook Street. Parking is available behind the funeral home. Bardal Funeral Home and Crematorium 843 Sherbrook Street, (204)774-7474 Condolences: www.bardal.ca
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on February 01, 2014
Guest Book(11 entries)
- R.I.P Larry, Nobody Did a Better Job Than Larry, He Was Always On Top Of the Race Game. I am sure he will be enjoying seeing and Meeting Old Friends at That Big Circle in the Sky.. Rest In Peace Lar
- Posted by: Kent Scarmstad (Friend / Horseman From The Track) on: Feb 6, 2014
- I first met Larry at Edith and Bakey's in about 1968, I was 16 and Larry and Ellen were like real hippies in my eyes.
We were nearby when they had a bookstore on Lilac St. (was it 6th House?)
We watched their kids grow up as we were always around Ellen's family in those days.
And now we hear that you have all lost Larry, we are so sorry of your loss but know that he lives forever in your hearts and memories.
- Posted by: Riva and Scott (Friends) on: Feb 2, 2014
- Very sad to hear Larry passed away, my condolences to Ellen and the children. Larry was always on the go as an Agent, was the top of his field in the horse racing community. He had some of the best riders on the track and gave it his all to make sure his riders had the best mounts possible. Larry was a friend to many and will be missed ,won't be the same without him there...
- Posted by: Leona Stahl (Friend) on: Feb 2, 2014
- Larry was always a delight to be around. His smile was infectious. My sincere condolences to Ellen and the rest of the family.
- Posted by: Brent Lott (Knew him through Ellen) on: Feb 1, 2014
- Our friendship with Larry over the past several years allowed us to experience his great compassion, his soft spoken intellect & his overall humanity. We feel honored to have called him our friend.
Terry & Charlie
- Posted by: Terry Propps & Charlie Smith (friend) on: Feb 1, 2014
- So sad to hear this news about Larry. My heart goes out to you Ellen, your kids and granddaughters.
- Posted by: Ava Kobrinsky (Friend) on: Feb 1, 2014
- I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Jason. I hope you and your family find some comfort in the good memories you have of your dad.
- Posted by: Cheryl Moore on: Feb 1, 2014
- My condolence to Ellen and the Oberlander Family. Prairie Children's Centre board sends their condolences as well. Our thought and prayer are with u Ellen.
- Posted by: Sheila Montney (Board member) on: Feb 1, 2014
- Always enjoyed our visits, Larry will be dearly missed.
- Posted by: Marvin & Deb (Friend from ASD) on: Feb 1, 2014
- I think about Larry quite often and was saddened to hear of his passing. Larry impacted many of us at AsD and he will be sorely missed.
- Posted by: Paul Turney (Friend) on: Feb 1, 2014
- We are truly sorry to have heard of Larry's passing. From McCreary Rd. to ASD., Larry always had a friendly hello and a word of encouragement. He will be missed.
Ken and Marj (Kameen) Paterson
- Posted by: Ken and Marj Paterson on: Feb 1, 2014
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.