AA larger | smaller
MARTIN (MARTY) SPEIGHT Peacefully, on Wednesday, February 12, 2014, after a long struggle with brain cancer, Martin passed away at the Victoria Hospital, at the age of 58 years. Martin is survived and will be lovingly remembered by his wife of 16 years, Colleen, daughter Emily, mother Agnes (Bruce), brother Larry (Lorna), sister Andrea, father-in-law Glenn, sisters-in-law Karen (Bill) and Pat (Andy), as well as other family and friends. Martin was predeceased by his father Harry and Harry's first wife Dixie and mother-in-law Angela. Martin was born in Winnipeg and raised in Sioux Lookout, Ontario. His father was a bush pilot who developed a love and appreciation of hunting and fishing in Marty. Martin earned his Arts and Political Science degree at the University of Manitoba. He became a student advisor in several faculties where he made many lifelong friends. While at the university, he met Colleen. Colleen and Emily were the loves of his life. Martin treasured the many friendships he made over the years. He cherished his annual hunting trips with the guys. He loved the time spent hiking, camping and travelling with his family. The family would like to thank the staff at CancerCare Manitoba and the Victoria Hospital, as well as the volunteer drivers for their care and compassion. A memorial service will take place on Wednesday, February 19 at Neil Bardal Funeral Centre, 3030 Notre Dame Avenue (across from Brookside Cemetery) at 11:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, if friends so desire, donations may be made to CancerCare Manitoba, P.O. Box 2248, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 4A6 or to the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada, www.braintumour.ca. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE 204-949-2200 neilbardalinc.com
Publish Date: Feb 18, 2014
MARTIN (MARTY) SPEIGHT Peacefully, on Wednesday, February 12, 2014, after a long struggle with brain cancer, Martin passed away at the Victoria Hospital, at the age of 58 years. A memorial service will take place on Wednesday, February 19, at Neil Bardal Funeral Centre, 3030 Notre Dame Avenue (across from Brookside Cemetery) at 11:30 a.m. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE 204-949-2200 neilbardalinc.com
Publish Date: Feb 15, 2014
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on February 18, 2014
Guest Book(18 entries)
- Have many great memories of living on the Sioux Lookout Lands and Forestry base.
Marty's dad Harry flew the piston otter ODV..
Spent many days with marry and Larry making sling shots and hosting our at the beach.
He was a real gentle person who had a heart of gold. God bless and hold him close.
- Posted by: maurice fenelon (lands and forest base neighbour) on: Dec 25, 2015
- Colleen & Emily We want to express our deepest sympathy Marty was a kind and loving husband & father. He will be missed
- Posted by: Pat & Allan Risbey (Friend) on: Feb 19, 2014
- Marty always had a smile and a kind word, good natured and helpful with his colleagues and the students he assisted. Gone too soon. My condolences, Colleen and Emily--Marty will be with you always for Love goes on and on.
- Posted by: Brenda Miller (former colleague, Faculty of Nursing) on: Feb 19, 2014
- Today at Info Days, I thought about Marty. Miss your presence at "the plant".
- Posted by: Brigitte Wiebe (Colleague - U of M) on: Feb 19, 2014
- Dear Colleen and Emily,
My mother Margaret and I wish to express our deepest sympathies for the loss of a very wonderfully kind man. Marty was always thought of in the highest regard at the U of M and he will be missed. May the memories you created together get you through this very difficult time. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
- Posted by: Jenifer Romaniuk and Margaret Stuch (U of M colleagues, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Nursing) on: Feb 19, 2014
- I am deeply saddened by the news of Marty's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
My favorite memories of Marty were in Sioux Lookout when we were kids. I remember watching float planes and spending time enjoying the outdoors. It was a special place and time.
- Posted by: Jan Martin Johnson (Family) on: Feb 18, 2014
- We were deeply saddened to hear about your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends. May you find comfort in remembering all of the special times you shared together, as well as knowing that Marty is in a place of peace and happiness. May God bless you and give you strentgh. Our love and best wishes are being sent to you!
- Posted by: Uncle Gus & Family on: Feb 18, 2014
- I was schocked and saddened when I heard that you were ill. I know that Colleen and Emily will really miss you. Take care. God will be looking after your family.
- Posted by: Carolyn Mosher (Friend) on: Feb 18, 2014
- My thoughts are with you both during this difficult time.
- Posted by: Ralph Fisher (Friend) on: Feb 18, 2014
- I only knew Marty such a short time, we bunked together at the Vic over Christmas. Marty was a wonderful man whose love for Colleen and Emily was boundless. My thoughts go out to Colleen and Emily and Agnes and Bruce at this time. Marty loved you all very much.
- Posted by: Stephanie Wood (Shared a room at the Vic) on: Feb 18, 2014
- My deepest condolences to you Colleen & your family during this difficult period. I had heard, that Martin was very ill & so saddened to hear of his passing. I have fond memories of Marty when I had the pleasure of working in the same Faculty many years ago. This was in the Faculty of Education before he moved to Nursing. I remember having coffee with this personable fun loving man. His humour was his speciality, he was such an approachable person & very helpful. Will remember him always & feel blessed to have worked with him. Sincerely Laura Calder
- Posted by: Laura Calder (UofM) on: Feb 18, 2014
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Emily.
- Posted by: Remo & Chun (Colleagues from the U of M) on: Feb 18, 2014
- Colleen and Emily,
Our thoughts are with both of you during this difficult time.
- Posted by: Greg, Helen and Karolina Fisher (Friend) on: Feb 17, 2014
- Dear Colleen and Emily, may you take comfort in your memories at this time of sadness. In deepest sympathy, Eva Brasko.
- Posted by: Eva Brasko (former colleague at the UofM, Faculty of Nursing) on: Feb 17, 2014
- We were very sadened to hear about Marty. One of these old friend things that we had got together years ago and promised to keep in touch but never carried through. Good times at the forestry base in Sioux Lookout
- Posted by: Rod and Rita Fisher (friend) on: Feb 17, 2014
- So very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
- Posted by: Norma and Doug Carswell (Friends and U of M colleagues) on: Feb 17, 2014
- I cannot imagine the depth of your sadness.
- Posted by: Laura Tryhuk (formerly Laura Ross) I am so sad for you both. (former colleague at the University of Manitoba, Faculty of Education) on: Feb 15, 2014
- Colleen & Emily, our deepest sympathies. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Love Cheryl, Gerry & Lisa
- Posted by: Cheryl, Gerry & Lisa Saurette (Friend) on: Feb 15, 2014
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.