Advanced Search:

Regular Search
❮ Go Back to Listings
STELLA ARISS  Obituary pic


Date of Passing: Mar 09, 2015

Send Flowers to the Family Offer Condolences or Memory

Adjust Text Size: A+ A-

STELLA ARISS Stella Ariss passed away peacefully, with her family by her side, at Fairview Personal Care Home, Brandon, Manitoba, at the age of 103 on Monday, March 9, 2015. She lived a long and wonderful life, the majority of it spent with her husband Charlie on the Ariss family farm at Isabella, Manitoba. Stella was predeceased by her parents, Peter Bogan (1921) and Alexandra (Leganchuk, Bogan) Michasiw (1952); husband Charlie Ariss (1992); sister Olga Hawes (2006); brother Joseph Bogan (2012); stepsisters and stepbrothers, Teeni Stebnicki (1953), John Michasiw (between 1974-1975), Jessie Kempinski (1985), Mary Murray (1989), Bill Michasiw (2003), Annie Krack (2008), Joseph Michasiw (2010); half-brothers Harry Michasiw (2005), Donald Michasiw (about 1999); twin sons at birth; grandson Christopher Allen Weber (1977) in infancy; Lloyd Gurr (2009) ; son-in-law Jack Dyrkacz (1994) and stepfather Mike Michasiw (1954). Stella leaves to mourn her daughters Margaret Dyrkacz of Sprucewoods, Manitoba (and dear friend Ken Kelly of Fairview Personal Care Home, Brandon, Manitoba), Charlotte (Louis) Wolowich of Lethbridge, Alberta, and Beverley Weber (and her partner Ron Gurr) of Brandon, Manitoba; sons James (Aurice) Ariss of Winnipeg, Manitoba and Edward (Elisa) Ariss of Souris, Manitoba; stepsister Lil Boroski of Thunder Bay, Ontario; half brother Stanley (Joanne) Michasiw of Oshawa, Ontario; sister-in-law Anne Ariss of Brandon, Manitoba. Grand children Jason Dyrkacz, Myrna (Jason) McKee, Jim Ariss, Robin Hrubes, Jennifer Ariss and partner Leo Deurbrouck, Judy (Dana) Negrey, Brian (Karen) Wolowich, Sara Ariss, Daniel (Erin Corbett) Ariss, Adam (Sebrina) Ariss, Lucinda Weber, Melissa (Robert) Tanner; great-grandchildren Logan and Owen McKee, Bo-James, Karl, Sarah and Ian Hrubes, Gabrielle Negrey, Eli Ariss, Hunter Ariss, Leigh and Morgan Smith, Devon Tanner; as well as many extended family members. Stella was born in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba to Peter and Alexandra (Leganchuk) Bogan. At an early age, Stella moved with her family to Rivers, Manitoba where her father was employed at the Round House for CN Railway. After the death of her father in 1921, her mother and three young children, moved to the Chapple Farm which was east of Raven Lake and south of Shoal Lake, Manitoba. While here her mom married Mike Michasiw; a widower. They farmed here for two or three years. Mike (Stella's stepfather) could not read or write English and thought he was buying this land but in actuality was only renting it. The owner evicted the family and they then moved into Shoal Lake into what is known as the Duncan house. Here, Alexandra and her three children, Mike and his eight children from a previous marriage plus the three children from Mike and Alexandra's marriage lived until they moved to a farm between Lavinia and Decker which was rented. From there, they moved to the Kelloe area and bought land two miles west of the Town of Kelloe. A year later Stella moved in with her aunt and uncle, Joseph and Mary Leganchuk at Sandy Lake, at an early age Stella began working at several farms (in Shoal Lake and Hamiota areas) helping the housewives any way she could house cleaning, looking after the children, making meals and baking. Those were the days of no electricity, running water or telephones. Because of having to work at an early age, Stella only had a grade three education. Eventually Stella was hired by Mr. Alva Brad, general store keeper in Isabella, to work in his home where his wife was bedridden with four young children. She said they were very good to her and treated her like family. She related a story of while scrubbing the floors on her hands and knees the children took turns riding her back. While working for the Brads, Stella met Charlie Ariss and they were married on June 10, 1939 in Isabella. Following their marriage they moved onto the Ariss family farm. Stella embraced the farming life with hard work and enthusiasm. Their five children, Margaret, James, Charlotte, Edward, Beverley, grew up on the farm and they had the best of both worlds living and working on the farm with their parents and being driven to town for sports practices and games, church and school activities, 4-H, music lessons or simply visiting relatives and friends. Stella was also active in and supporting the community activities. She loved to curl. One year she skipped her team to an eight ender. She also enjoyed golfing and later lawn bowling. Throughout her life, Mom knew what it was like to work hard. While she raised her family, she milked cows by hand. Then the milk was carried by the pail full from the barn to the house and run through the separator (hand cranked) which skimmed the cream off through one spout while the milk came out of a bigger spout below. Then it had to be taken apart and washed after each use another chore which was done morning and night. She also raised chickens, gathered eggs, tended a large garden, canned and froze the produce, berries and poultry to feed her family, made different kinds of jams and jellies all of this on a wood stove, carried the wood in and the ashes out, carried in water from the well, baked bread, buns, cinnamon rolls, pies, cakes and cookies, heated water in the reservoir on the end of the woodstove, washed clothes with a wringer washing machine, hung clothes outside on a line to dry or on a clothes rack indoors (depending upon the weather). When we got home from school there was usually hot homemade biscuits (with butter she had churned) waiting for us to eat before we went out to play. Mom sewed many of our clothes. She also knitted many sweaters, mittens and socks, and she crocheted doilies and more. Mom was very thrifty. She always had a pantry and later a deep freeze full of baking and goodies and we knew where to find them. At harvest time, many meals and lunches had to be prepared and taken out to the field to Dad and Grandpa working there. When there was a harvest gang or sawing bee, a full course meal was prepared and served at noon. Ice cream was often made at Christmas time and sometimes in the summer. Mom was a hard worker, a jack-of-all trades and could pretty much accomplish anything she set her mind to. Quite often on weekends, Mom and Dad would take us for a drive. After Dad built his own boat, most Sunday's were spent on a lake fishing. Mom always packed a picnic lunch, and when we got home she cleaned and scaled the fish which were later fried or frozen. In the spring of 1974, Charlie and Stella sold the farm and moved to their retirement home in Birtle, Manitoba. They now had time to travel, play golf, lawn bowl, quilt and visit their children. Mom cared for Dad until she no longer could. They had over 50 years together. After Dad passed away in 1992, Mom remained in her home tending to her gardens, flowers, the lawn and entertaining her family and friends when they came for a visit. She never refused a good game of card. Games with family and friends were very special. Stella, our mom, was a remarkable woman. Although she had many obstacles in her life, her courage and determination to succeed will be forever remembered. She asked so little, yet she gave so much. Her life was not easy, however, she never complained a trait she carried throughout her life. Even during the last two years in Fairview Care Home she never complained. Many staff members told us that Mom was a "real sweetheart". For the past two years, Stella has been cared for by a compassionate and dedicated staff on the 4th floor of the Fairview Personal Care Home in Brandon. The family wishes to express their heartfelt gratitude to the staff and to her roommate, Madeleine Makar, for being there for her during this time. We know Mom appreciated their kindness and affection. She was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, great grandma and a loyal friend. She was proud of her family and always wanted to look her best. We love you Mom, and will miss you forever. May the peace you so richly deserve be yours now. Interment was held on May 16, 2015, at the Isabella Cemetery followed by a service and a reception in the Isabella Community Hall. Lunch was served by the ladies of the community. Linda Clark officiated. Urn bearer was all of Stella's great grandchildren. For those desiring, donations may be made in Stella's memory to the Isabella Community Fund, Isabella, Manitoba, R0M 0Y0. Rae's Braendle-Bruce Funeral Service were in care of the arrangements. Journey's End Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free, I've come to the end of life's road you see. I could not stay another day, So I went quietly on my way. Weep not for me, but courage take, Love each other, for my sake. My life's been full, I savored much, Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch. God wanted me now, He set me free. My journey's ended at one hundred three.

As published in Winnipeg Free Press on May 30, 2015

Condolences & Memories (1 entries)

  • My sympathy to all the family in the passing of a very special lady. - Posted by: Barbara (Brydon) Larkin (Neighbour) on: Jun 03, 2015

❮ Go Back to Listings