Advanced Search:

Regular Search
❮ Go Back to Listings

Adjust Text Size: A+ A-


Peacefully on Friday, December 18, 2020, Cliff passed away at Riverview Health Centre.
Cliff was predeceased by his wife Debbie, parents, John and Ellen Wirth, and in-laws, Irwin and Jane Wilde. He is survived by his daughter Nicole (Kelly), son Shawn, as well as his sister Lenore (Brian) Frost and many nieces and nephews.
The Cayer family was special to Cliff. They were a great support this year for him and he always enjoyed visiting with Katrina and Chloe.
A very special thank you to his doctors and the nurses at Riverview for their compassion and care.
In lieu of flowers, please donate in Cliff's memory to
Family and friends may leave condolences and share memories by visiting Cliff's memorial page at

As published in Winnipeg Free Press on Dec 26, 2020

Condolences & Memories (4 entries)

  • Cliff is one of my best and oldest friends, going back to our high school days in the mid to late sixties and afterwards in our early careers when he worked at Motor Coach Industries and I worked at the City of Winnipeg. It was through Cliff that I met my wife Razeah, who also worked at MCI. Unfortunately, we lost touch with each other as we went down different paths in our lives. and only reconnected when we learned of Debbie's passing in August. We were hoping to get together in person once the current pandemic restrictions would allow it but that is no longer possible. Some of my fondest memories include the frequent house parties where I met and became friends with many of Cliff's MCI co-workers (including my wife). They were a great group of people. I remember the one year (1969 I think). Every long weekend from Spring to late Fall Cliff and I would head out Friday night on an overnight 12-hour drive from Winnipeg to Omaha, Nebraska (no Interstate Hwy. at that time) and return on the holiday Monday. Cliff had spent 1-1 1/2 years in Omaha during his last high school years when his Dad had accepted a temporary transfer from Winnipeg to Omaha, He worked for Perth's Cleaners and was a unique specialist in cleaning leathers and hats and they wanted him to go to Omaha for a short period of time. When Cliff and his parents returned to Winnipeg we made the road trips to visit and hang out with Cliff's friends in Omaha. Lots of fun and a bit crazy, but we were young and adventurous! At least until the last trip of that year in either October or November. We had car trouble on the return journey (bad radiator thermostat - no parts available due to holiday) on a rainy cold day which turned into a snowy blizzard while we were coming through the Dakotas. We had barely enough heat to keep the windows clear and followed a highway snow plow into Grand Forks! We didn't have enough money between us to stay at a motel for the night, so we continued travelling north to the Canadian border. We managed to make it home through the blowing snow and icy highways without further problems, travelling about half normal speed and passing several cars and semi-trailers stranded in the ditches. Our normal 12-hour return trip took us 20 hours instead. We left Omaha at 09:00 a.m. and arrived home at 06:00 a.m. the next morning. No work that day for either of us! Another fond memory was a surprise birthday party for Cliff (not positive, but may have been for his 19th). We had all of our friends gather at his parent's house but we had to get Cliff away while they arrived. His parents arranged an "excuse" - Cliff and myself had to drive to his Aunt's place in Fort Garry to pick up "something". This was about 07:00 p.m. on a rainy, dark night. Cliff was driving his Dad's 1964 Comet. As we turned off Osborne onto Jubilee behind another car in the curb lane and picked up speed (not speeding), the other vehicle braked quickly and turned right onto a side street. Cliff continued on without realizing there was a car parked in the curb lane just past this intersection. Before he could brake hard, our car ran into the rear of the parked vehicle. Cliff's glasses went flying and I put a dent into the dash glove compartment door with my knee, but we were otherwise unhurt. The front of the Comet was not so lucky. I looked at Cliff and he looked at me and one of us said "Oh no, now we have to call the cops!" Two guys were in the parked car when we smacked into them and were getting out when this was said. I looked at the two guys as they walked back to our car and said to Cliff "We don't have to call the cops - their already here!" The parked car we had run into was an unmarked police car! We both burst out laughing - the irony was too much and we couldn't help it! The two cops thought we were drunk or taking drugs or something when they opened the car doors. Fortunately, neither of them were hurt and after a somewhat lengthy discussion they were convinced we weren't intoxicated or on anything else. This was just a series of unfortunate circumstances (poor visibility due to rain and street light and oncoming traffic glare, blinding big brake lights of the turning car - a 1960 Ford - small hard to see tail lights of the parked police car - 1967 Plymouth - leading to an unfortunate accident and, no injuries (other than my sore knee). We did have to have our car towed though and then had to bus it all the way from Fort Garry back to Cliff's house in Transcona. Then we had to explain all that had happened. Cliff's parents were not happy (they were two of the most calm and patient people I have known) but glad no one was seriously hurt. We still had the surprise party for Cliff but it was quite a different "surprise" to remember! I have other great memorable times - the weekend fishing trips to The Pas, including the one when four of us made the overnight run up (after playing poker and drinking beer till heading out at midnight to arrive at my sister and brother-in-law's house at 09:00 a.m., going out fishing for the day and being so tired by supper time, I couldn't see straight!) and another time coming back with a wash tub full of iced whole and filleted fish - about 70-100 lbs. - for three of us (no limits back then) which had the car low-riding all the way back to Winnipeg. And the time we almost ran off a dead-end road into a creek at night up around Netley Marsh. Ah, the things we did when we weren't smart enough or old enough to know better! We had some great times Cliff and I wish we could have had more. Maybe we will in the great hereafter. Rest in peace my friend. See you down the road. - Posted by: Ken and Raz Pydee (Friend) on: Jan 12, 2021

  • My sincere condolences to the family. I met Cliff at MCI and had numerous contacts and discussions over the many years. Cliff went out of his way to assist my production departments needs and our cross border shipping requirements. Cliff has a sharp sense of humour and I enjoyed many laughs with him. God Bless. Ron Campbell - Posted by: Ron Campbell (Friend/co-worker at MCI ) on: Dec 30, 2020

  • Cliff played a big part of our family the last 21 years. He will be greatly missed. I will forever cherish our car ride conversations. Nicole, Shawn and Kelly you are all in my thoughts. - Posted by: Laura (Friend) on: Dec 26, 2020

  • Where do I begin to talk about Cliff. The first time I met him he told me he was going to marry my sister. Later he would become like another brother in our family. Cliff could become the most infuriating pest but yet a very calm and understanding person. He loved playing cards and loved reading. Will miss those weekend all night card parties. Rest in peace my friend. Now you are with Deb in heaven. - Posted by: Beverly Wilde (Sister in law) on: Dec 26, 2020

❮ Go Back to Listings