AA larger | smaller
EDITH ELLEN PLATSKO (nee BIRT) It is with great sadness that, after a long and courageous battle with cancer, Edie passed away peacefully at home on Sunday, June 10, 2012 at the age of 64. Left to cherish her memory, Edie leaves behind her children, Christine Martel (Kevin), Tracey, Ryan (Nicole); her much loved and adored two grandchildren, Sarah and Mackenna; and Gary Platsko. Also, left to mourn is her mother, Lillian Birt; sisters, Louise Staples, Jackie McDowell, Billie Lecuyer (Ernie) and brother, Dave Birt (Cindy), along with numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her father, Dave Birt and her brother-in-law Robert Lecuyer. Edie worked at Earl Grey School but retired due to her illness. She loved to travel and was able to take many tropical vacations with her family. She loved swimming in the ocean and dancing to the local music. Edie was also an avid bridge player and would play any time anywhere. She even joined a bridge group at the lake. Her favourite place was West Hawk Lake where she spent every summer with her family, at the beach, boating, and sitting around the campfire. Her greatest joy of her life was her two grandchildren. She loved the girls with all her heart and will miss them dearly. Thank you to Dr. Maxwell and CancerCare. The family wishes to express their gratitude to Gloria Hersak for taking mom to all her appointments. A family led memorial service celebrating Edie's life will be held on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at the St. James Legion, 1755 Portage Ave. at 7:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to CancerCare Manitoba. Love ya, love ya, long time.
Publish Date: Jun 13, 2012
EDITH ELLEN PLATSKO (nee BIRT) With heavy hearts, the family regret to announce the passing of Edie on June 10, 2012 at home at the age of 64. A family led memorial service celebrating Edie's life will be held on Thursday, June 14, 2012 at the St. James Legion, 1755 Portage Ave. at 7:00 p.m. A longer obituary will follow in Wednesday's edition. The Coutu family in care of arrangements: E.J. COUTU CO. FUNERAL DIRECTORS 680 Archibald Street 253-5086
Publish Date: Jun 13, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 13, 2012
Guest Book(16 entries)
- Just remembering how much Edie loved her children and the joy they added to her life. She waited so long for them and was so proud and happy about being a mother.
A lovely lady, full of fun and good friend.
- Posted by: Felicity Rochon (Neighbour in Kitchener) on: Sep 12, 2012
- I will never forget how Edie always made me feel welcome and part of the family. I have many treasured memories of Edie. May you rest in eternal peace.
- Posted by: john Allardyce (friend) on: Jul 1, 2012
- We came to meet Edie through her sister Billie's daughter. Our boys became best summer friends with her niece, long warm beach days, exloring, and endless movies at the back of their family trailer on rainy days and nights. Edie was a kind, caring, and warm person. I will miss our friendly visits alot. We will never forget your place on the beach, hat, crossword in hand, the family at your side, and your wonderful smile. Our thoughts and prayers to all the family.
- Posted by: Leanne Zoroneck & Family (Lake friends) on: Jun 15, 2012
- What can I say about Edie that hasn't already been said? She was a wonderful person! I'm sorry I didn't get to see her much the past couple of years but I will never forget how she always made me feel at home when we all got together at the lake. Forever you will be missed, forever you will be treasured!
- Posted by: Danielle Streilein (Family friend) on: Jun 15, 2012
- Edie, you were a wonderful lady who was full of life. You were always such a good friend to my Mom and I always enjoyed our visits together. Although my Mom has a heavy heart, I know she will always cherish all the good times you had together. Our entire family will miss you. Xxoo
- Posted by: Shannon Bruckshaw on: Jun 14, 2012
- I worked with Edie for a number of years at Earl Grey School. She was such a great person and I will miss her. She was often like a bartender behind her reception counter. Listening to complaints, joys, and sorrows. She was always there for us. She was truly one of a kind and will hold a special place in my heart. I was blessed to know her.
- Posted by: Alicia Thompson (Friend & Former Co-worker) on: Jun 14, 2012
- I will miss our get-togethers at Applebees and elsewhere as well as our phone calls. She was always so thankful of any contact right to the end. Our most memorable moment was when her glasses flipped off in the lake at my cottage and I needed the skin diving equipment to find them...since both of us were blind as bats and otherwise she wouldn't have been able to drive back to her lake. How she loved summer, water, hot holidays and her family. I know I'll see you again and will think of you often.
- Posted by: Chris Belanger (friend and public health nurse at Earl Grey School) on: Jun 14, 2012
- I will always remember the summers at the lake with you and your glowing smile and your inspirational wisdom! I will miss you greatly!
- Posted by: Allan Platsko (Nephew) on: Jun 14, 2012
- I'm blessed to have known Edie if only for a few short years. Your Mom was a beautiful lady. She will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Paulette Pich (friend/co-worker) on: Jun 13, 2012
- I met Edie when we were in High School, then our paths went separate ways only to reconnect a few years ago. She was always a very nice person and friendly to all. Our thoughts go out to her family and friends. Bye for now, Edie, see you again some day.
- Posted by: Janis and Terry Gibson (friends) on: Jun 13, 2012
- "Those we love don't go away,
they walk beside us everyday.
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
still loved, still missed and very dear."
Edie was a wonderful, warm, caring person. She was always positive about life, and concerned about others. We will remember her fondly and hope that knowing she was so well loved and respected, brings the family comfort.
- Posted by: Dante Day Nursery staff (friends and co-workers) on: Jun 13, 2012
- I will miss your warm smile everytime we would meet. You are a great person glad that our families had the chance to spend many great moments together.
- Posted by: GLENN M LANE (really good friend always) on: Jun 13, 2012
- Heaven is lucky to have such a beautiful person, and it is our loss!! I met Edie when our sons played Twins hockey. What a fantastic fun lady always had a smile and a good thing to say about everyone! I last seen Edie in February as we were getting a pedicure, she was going on her trip south and was very excited. We had the best hour chatting about the boys and her precious grandchildren. Goodbye dear friend, I will always cherish our friendship!!
- Posted by: Joann Lough (Friend) on: Jun 13, 2012
- We are so saddened to hear of Edie's passing. Our hearts and prayers go out to her family at this sad time. Edie was always so joyous and friendly to all of us at Earl Grey Children's Centre and always so helpful. We will miss her! Big hugs from all the children and staff at our daycare.
- Posted by: Lynda Raible - Earl Grey Children's Centre (co-workers) on: Jun 13, 2012
- I only knew Edie a few short years. She was always a positive person, full of life, even when she got ill. She always had kind words for everyone around her. Her stories were always about her Granddaughters and we all knew how much she loved them and how they brightened her day. I loved talking about vacations and curling with her. She was a mentor to me and I think of her often and will miss her greatly. Our
office is still full of her photos so we can still see her everyday. I wish her family well in this trying time.
- Posted by: Jennifer Derrett (Co-worker) on: Jun 12, 2012
- Edie you were an AWESOME lady. Always so happy and smiling. I will truly miss you Edie. Kick some butt up there and give my son a big hug from me. Hugs....xoxo
- Posted by: Darlene Rhodes (friend/co-worker) on: Jun 12, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.