AA larger | smaller
HEADLEY DESOUZA MCLAREN It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Headley Desouza McLaren at St. Boniface Hospital on June 17, 2012. Headley was born to parents Mortimer McLaren and Amy Rose in Kingston, Jamaica on September 29, 1933. After obtaining a teachers certificate from MICO training college, he received a scholarship from Jamaica to the University of Manitoba arriving in Winnipeg in 1962. He graduated with a B.Ed and completed the Pre-masters Progam. He was employed by Indian Affairs where he taught and served as principal at several schools in Northern Manitoba. Years later he became employed by Winnipeg School Division No. 1 as a special education teacher. He loved to read and took great pride in his vegetable and flower gardens. He was predeceased by his daughter Dorcas Booker (nee McLaren) and will be deeply missed by his wife Monica, children Robert, Jonathan, and Rachael, brother Orville and family, grandchildren, and numerous relatives and friends. Funeral Mass will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 23 at Christ the King Parish Church, 847 St. Mary's Road with Father Renato Pasinato the Celebrant. Interment will take place in Thomson In the Park Cemetery, 1291 McGillivray Boulevard. Special thanks to the staff of 8A Palliative St. Boniface Hospital, and home care nurses Olga Paliyenko and Harriet Yarmill. THOMSON IN THE PARK 925-1120 Condolences may be sent to www.thomsoninthepark.com
Publish Date: Jun 21, 2012
HEADLEY DESOUZA MCLAREN Following a lengthy battle with prostate cancer, Headley Desouza Mclaren died peacefully at St. Boniface General Hospital on Father's Day June 17, 2012 in the presence of his loving family. He is survived by his wife Monica, children Robert, Jonathan and Rachael, and his only brother Orville. Funeral Mass will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 23 at Christ the King Parish Church, 847 St. Mary's Road. Interment will be in Thomson In the Park Cemetery, 1291 McGillivray Boulevard. Complete obituary to follow. THOMSON IN THE PARK 925-1120 Condolences may be sent to www.thomsoninthepark.com
Publish Date: Jun 21, 2012
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on June 21, 2012
Guest Book(10 entries)
- My heart goes out to Monica and the children. My thoughts and prayers are for them. God bless you all.
- Posted by: Taryn Nahernidk (Friend) on: Jun 23, 2012
- My cousins Headley and Orville grew up very closely with my family. They are my mother's nephews and spent most of their young years with us after their mother's death when they were very young. I feel that I have lost a brother. I have many fond memories of the early years as well as with Headley and his family in recent times - especially our many long telephone conversations and the time the family spent the entire Summer with me in Los Angeles during the Olympics.
May God comfort and enfold you Orville, Monica, Robert, Jonathan and Rachel with His love, and remember that - HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU!! He will allow you to navigate the sea of loss and sadness and each day feel secure that His Love is carrying you through, and Headley's love will always be present with you through the many joys you shared as well as in each other. Feel certain that you are all being lifted up in Love to Our Father by me and your other loved ones.
Be happy for him that his pain is over. I have joyful visions of the family reunion happening now - over there - with his wonderful mother - my Aunt Amy to whom he was devoted, his dad, his daughter Dorcas, grandparents Duncan and Dorcas and a host of aunts - and uncles - including my mother Hyacinth.
Very sorry that I am unable to be with you at this time. God Bless and keep you all and maythe mother of our Lord bring you special joy.
- Posted by: Mary Gordon (Cousin) on: Jun 23, 2012
- Deepest sympathy to Mrs. Monica McLaren and the rest of the family.
- Posted by: Lloyd and Ruby Sinclair (Friends) on: Jun 22, 2012
- Sending prayers for the family. We love you Ray-Ban
- Posted by: Hope Boykin (Friend and coworker of Rachael's) on: Jun 21, 2012
- With deepest sympathy. Headley was a valued friend. May cherished memories of your loved-one help to ease the pain at this difficult time.
We know that he is at rest in God's Kingdom.
- Posted by: Delrosa Johnson ( nee Small) (Classmate at elementary school, in Morant Bay, Jamaica.!) on: Jun 21, 2012
- So sorry to hear of the death of your husband, Monica. Be strong and know that he is in a better place. Condolences to the rest of your family .
- Posted by: Lucinda Gordon (friend) on: Jun 21, 2012
- With deepest sympathy to the McLaren family.
Headley will be dearly missed by all who knew him.
I know he is at peace in God's Kingdom. May cherished memories help to heal your pain at this difficult time.
- Posted by: Delrosa Johnson (nee Small) (Classmate Morant Bay elementary school, Jamaica) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Saddened to see Headley's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with Monica and the family during this time of sorrow.
- Posted by: Gayle Nickol (RN) on: Jun 21, 2012
- Sorry for your loss.
- Posted by: Jim Caron (Knew them.) on: Jun 20, 2012
- My sincere condolences to the McLaren Family for your loss. Mr. McLaren and my mother (Beryl Taylor) attended the same school in Jamaica. Our prayers are with you.
- Posted by: Sharon Taylor on: Jun 20, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.