AA larger | smaller
JOANNE MARILYN SUMKA February 26, 1951 July 4, 2012 It is with sadness we announce the passing of Joanne Marilyn Sumka on Wednesday, July 4, 2012. She is survived by mother Nellie Sumka, family and friends. She was predeceased by father John in 1992. Joanne was born in Arborg on February 26, 1951. Nellie and Joanne moved to Winnipeg from the country in time for Joanne to start Grade one. She went to Machray School. Nellie however wanted Joanne to have a Catholic schooling, but it was expensive. Nellie worked hard, did without, saved her money and finally was able to enroll Joanne at Immaculate Heart of Mary School. Joanne spent many happy years there. Immaculate Heart did not offer high school, so Joanne went on to St. John's High School, where she completed Grade 12. Joanne started her work career at Underwriters Adjustment Bureau. After some encouragement, she enrolled in work related courses and after a few years attained her A.I.I.C. designation. Joanne always had a good rapport with management so despite company buy-outs and mergers, she was fortunate to have maintained employment. For that she was always grateful. Joanne had many, many fond memories of her days at work. In 2011 Joanne retired after 38 years of service. Joanne's legacy was caring for her mom and being a constant in everyone's life. We will miss her fun loving spirit, how she savoured the simple things in life and her passion for Elvis and Bling. Funeral Service will be held on Monday, July 9, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at Cropo Funeral Chapel, 1442 Main St. at Inkster. The family would like to sincerely thank all the Staff at Seven Oaks Hospital, Health Sciences Centre and the Palliative team for their compassion and care. In lieu of flowers donations in Joanne's memory may be made to a charity of one's choice. Always Remembered, Forever Loved Vichnaya Pam'yat 586-8044
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 07, 2012
Guest Book(10 entries)
- My condolences to the family, as they have truly lost a wonderful and charming woman. Thank you Joanne for being there.
- Posted by: Lorraine Kalk (Co-worker / Friend) on: Aug 15, 2012
- Although we started out as coworkers, I consider it my utmost privilege to have been her friend. Joey had the best outlook and wisest counsel. I will miss you.
- Posted by: Jennifer Schultz (Friend / coworker) on: Jul 22, 2012
- I'm soo sorry to hear this news. I remember all our good times at Immaculate Heart of Mary. Joanne will always be remembered - she will always be that young girl with that great sense of humor.
- Posted by: oksana skrober (nee kohuch) (school friend) on: Jul 20, 2012
- My mom always talked about "life" at UAB. I remember her telling me how excited Joanne was on her trip to Graceland and how devastating his death was. It was always neat hearing about the lives of UAB. Mom passed away in 2004, but if she were here she would want to express her condolences to the family. May Joanne rest in peace.
- Posted by: Judy Lewadny ( Sagar ) (my mom Jean Sagar worked with Joanne at UAB) on: Jul 13, 2012
- We have so many wonderful memories! We love you and we will miss you! Rest in Peace
Love Jack, Josie, Michael, Justin, Tyson,& Ashley xo
- Posted by: Josie Monkman (Family) on: Jul 10, 2012
- I remember when we first started to work together and Joanne immediately changed my name to Katerina Bissky. She said it was Ukrainian. lol She called me that for years, along with many other names. Kate, Katie, and what was to become her favorite....Katrina. I asked her one day if I reminded her of a hurricane and she just gave me "that look" and we laughed. We were like sisters in some ways...we'd get mad at each other but we could never stay mad...she loved me and I loved her. (Joey, I miss you so much).
- Posted by: Katerina Bisski (Co-worker/Friend) on: Jul 9, 2012
- How sad that we have lost this beautiful angel. I had the privilege of working alongside Joanne. My memories of Joey include shared laughter and tears, happy times and sad. She was a friend, a confidant, sometimes a co-conspirator! She brought joy where she went, mischief when it was least expected, and was often the glue that held things together when they were darkest. She leaves a spot in this earthly world and in my heart, that is dimmed for her passing. In my life, and those I know she touched, she has left this world a better place than she found it, and I am deeply saddened at her loss. Heaven has truly gained an angel. My heartfelt condolences to her family in these difficult days.
- Posted by: Deb Shnider (Friend, co-worker) on: Jul 9, 2012
- As a former classmate of Joanne's at Immaculate Heart of Mary School, it was because of the teachers and students such as Joanne, that a lot of us "spent many happy years there."
It was just before the St.Nicholas/Immaculate Heart of Mary School 100 Year Anniversary in 2005, that I was able to share some school/church photos with Joanne, including a grade 5-6 (2 grades, 1 classroom) class photo, showing Joanne and classmates when we were in Grade 6. These photos would now be include online in the school's archive page: http://ihms.mb.ca/archives/history/
When I think of Joanne,
the following words from the Bible come to mind:
"May the Lord show kindness to you, as you have shown"
(Ruth 1:8 NIV1984Bible)
- Posted by: Joseph Ulicki (former classmate) on: Jul 8, 2012
- Always Remembered
It is with deepest sorrow for the loss my cousin Joanne and our sympathy Aunt Nellie and family that we reflect on our memories with Joanne. Strong in spirit, always a smile, devoted to her Mother, caring to others.
Joanne, rest in peace, your journey on earth with us will always be remembered in our hearts.
- Posted by: Karen & Steven Merlin (cousin) on: Jul 8, 2012
- My dearest Joanne, how I wish I could have had time to say good-bye to you. In our short time together, you grew in my heart. I will honor you by continuing to take excellent care of your mother. You can rest in peace knowing that whenever I am on shift I will ensure she receives nothing but love. How I wish I was not writing this to you, but able to sit and hold your hand and tell you this in person. Joanne, I will miss seeing you come walking down the hallway at St. Mary's, and seeing you lying on the bed watching tv with your mom. I really wish we had more time together. I love you, I miss you. I hope you are at peace. Your friend Mary Lou
- Posted by: Mary Lou Chubaty (Friend) on: Jul 7, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.