AA larger | smaller
DOROTHY SAVAGE (nee ROY) It is with broken hearts that the family of Dorothy Savage announces her passing on July 4, 2012, after a brief and courageous battle with cancer. Dorothy was born in Kelowna, BC, on May 26, 1946, the only child of Zenaide and Leo Roy. She is survived by her loving husband of 42 years, Robert Savage, and her three cherished sons and their families: Sean (Angela), Craig (Kimberley) and Ryan (Gaylene). Also mourning her loss are her precious grandchildren Kayla, Trevor and Carson. Until she became ill, Dorothy enjoyed working at South East Child and Family Services and prior to that at Winnipeg Child and Family Services. Dorothy was a very lively, fiercely independent woman who set a great example for her children, with her dedication to family and hard work ethic. Dorothy spent many years at home raising her children, including many days at the hockey rink, and weekends at Bird River. She absolutely loved going to the family cabin and created many memories with family and friends. Dorothy loved to socialize and her warmth, loyalty and kindness will be truly missed. Funeral service will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at Glen Lawn Funeral Home, 455 Lagimodiere Blvd., with interment immediately following the service. The family requests in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to CancerCare Manitoba. Family and friends may sign a Book of Condolence at www.glenlawn.ca. Glen Lawn Funeral Home 982-7550
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 07, 2012
Guest Book(19 entries)
- Dorothy was my sister-in-law by marriage and my dearest friend by choice. She and I shared so many happy moments and consoled each other through too many sad ones. We burned up the telephone lines when our children were younger and laughed and cried as they grew up. She was always there to offer her honest opinion or advice. She was sympathetic, caring and had a great sense of humour. I miss our daily phonecalls, her raspy voice trying to convince me she was okay. I miss hearing her talk so proudly of her boys, her grandkids, her daughter-in-laws. I miss saying Bob and Dot. I miss not having her at the cottage. I am so grateful for having had her in my life. I will carry her in my heart forever. My prayers are for Bob and her boys who now need to find a new normal. I love them all and know how much Dot loved them.
- Posted by: Jackey LaBossiere (sister-in-law and friend) on: Jul 23, 2012
- Bob, Sean, Craig, Ryan & families,
It is with deep sadness and love for you all that I extend my heartfelt sympathies.
Dorothy was a gorgeous, kind, loving, beautiful spirited woman and I feel so blessed to have known her.
Please lean on God and your friends for comfort, always remember how much you are cared about. I know no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer.
- Posted by: Tracy Fidler-Olfert (Friend) on: Jul 17, 2012
- To the Savage Family. I am so sorry to hear of Dorothy's passing. I worked with Dorothy at Winnipeg CFS before we were moved to Southeast CFS. She always had a story about her family who she loved dearly or spending time at the cabin and her smile could always brighten a rough day at the office. I will remember her fondly.
- Posted by: Carrie Armitage (VanLancker) (Former Co-worker) on: Jul 12, 2012
- My sincerest condolences to Bob and family, embrace the fond memories that each of you hold.
- Posted by: Lindsay Kolt (Friend) on: Jul 12, 2012
- Bob, we were deeply saddened to hear of Dorothy's passing, and extend our most sincere sympathies to you at this very sad time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Sean, Craig, Ryan ... Sincerest condolences to you for the loss of your mother. She was a most wonderful and beautiful lady. You will find comfort and joy in your memories of her.
- Posted by: The Lepines (Family friends ) on: Jul 11, 2012
- I am so saddened to learn of Dot's passing. My heart goes out to all of you. Most sincerely, May
- Posted by: May Melsby (Danzinger) (Friend) on: Jul 10, 2012
- Our thoughts are with you Bob and your family. Our deepest sympathy for your loss of your love, Dorothy. Sorry, of not being there to share your memories of Dorothy.
Take care and remain strong in your faith.
- Posted by: Rose-Marie and Frank Davis (cousin) on: Jul 9, 2012
- Dear Bob, Sean, Craig, Ryan and families: Gary and I are so terribly saddened to lose such a special friend as Dorothy. She was a wonderful wife, mother, and grandmother, and friend and her presence always brightened up all those around her. Her special wit, honesty, and sense of humor will be missed beyond belief. We have so many treasured memories, and good times in our hearts, where they will forever remain. All Our Love, Gary & Lenore
- Posted by: Gary and Lenore Diduck (Best Friends) on: Jul 9, 2012
- Bob, Sean, Craig & Ryan. So many great memories I have of my special time with Dorothy at Pioneer Beach. She always welcomed me in her home and made me feel special. She had a caring nature and when you needed her help se was the first in line to help you in any way. She was truly special and will be missed by many. My prayers are with you all and your families at this sad time.
- Posted by: Viviane Bessette (Friend) on: Jul 9, 2012
- Bob and family, so sorry to hear of Dorothy's passing - I remember her as being such a beautiful young lady and the picture shows that didn't fade. Thinking of you all
- Posted by: Pierrette Hébert ((Patricia's friend from way back and Dolores' sister)) on: Jul 9, 2012
- We are very saddened to hear about your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
- Posted by: Wolansky, Gordon and Toni (Friend) on: Jul 9, 2012
- We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to you Bob, and your entire family during this difficult time. Dorothy was a very big part of the good times and great memories at Bird River. She will be greatly missed by all.
- Posted by: Gobeil (Ron, Kelly, Karen, Adrien, Evan) (Family friend) on: Jul 9, 2012
- So many wonderful memories of Dorothy. She was special....She and I had a bond, as we were "The Outlaws".......and had to stick together at all those enormous Savage get-togethers......(We regularly had to sneak off together to get a break from The Savage Clan, which got pretty intense.....). So many great times at those Savage get-togethers and Dorothy was such a big part of it for me.....I loved her like a sister.....and I miss her.......
- Posted by: Dave (Brother-in-law) on: Jul 8, 2012
- We send our deepest condolences in your time of sorrow. Our thoughts are with you.
Jason and Amy Perron
- Posted by: Jason perron (Friend) on: Jul 8, 2012
- Bob, Sean, Craig, Ryan and families
It is with heavy hearts that we write to you to express our condolences. If you look up "life of the party" in the dictionary, you will see Dot's picture there. People gravitated to her because of her joie de vivre and her caring personality. She will be sorely missed. I am certain though that when she gets to heaven's gates her best friend Jeannie will be there with a cold two four to receive her.
- Posted by: Ron & Candy Savage (brother & sister in-law) on: Jul 8, 2012
- It deeply saddens me to hear of Dorothy's passing. I came to know Dorothy while working with her at Wpg CFS. A truly wonderful and beautiful lady. Dorothy was always happy and such a joy to know. She spoke very highly of her boys and was so proud of them. My deepest sympathies to Dorothy's family. She will be greatly missed.
- Posted by: K Smith (Friend/Co-worker) on: Jul 8, 2012
- Our heartfelt condolences to you Bob and family in your time of loss...take care.
- Posted by: Marcel and Gisele Rivard (friends) on: Jul 8, 2012
- Bob: My heart goes out to you. Dot's true childhood sweetheart, YES You GUYS MADE it! and FOR 42 YEARS, WHAT AN accomplishment!
Will never forget the good old days! Dot, Irene and I always were in ca-hoots. They were good times. The Nuns could never figure us out.
My condolences to you and all your family BOB. We've had some good long chats
and I hope to talk to you soon.
GOD Be With You.
Will see you at the funeral.
- Posted by: Margaret Kennedy (Constant) (School and chum around friend. We were both adopted, along with All in our group.) on: Jul 7, 2012
- I have many fond memories of Dorothy and our teen-age years in St. Boniface. We were 'partners-in-crime', occasionally playing hookey from school, preferring to take the bus WAY into Polo Park rather than spending some tedious hours under the care of the nuns at St. Joseph's Academy. We attended 'Canteen' together and the alternating Friday sports nights at the school gym. Dorothy was my friend. I'm so sad to hear of her death.
I extend my whole-hearted condolences to Bob and the family. Remember the good times.
- Posted by: Paulette Lavack (childhood friend) on: Jul 7, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.