AA larger | smaller
MARIA MINGO With infinite sadness, we announce the passing of Maria Mingo on Tuesday, July 10, 2012, at Misericordia Health Centre at the age of 89. Born to Gaetana and Lazzaro Barbaresi in Montelabbate in the Marche region of Italy, 15 kilometres from the Adriatic Sea, Maria was the youngest of eight children. Maria came to Canada in 1953, the same year she married Anthony Mingo in Montreal. They then moved to Winnipeg, where they spent - except for three years in Rome - their entire life. In her quiet, unassuming way, Maria was known as a fiercely religious, moral and stylish woman. She was a wonderful mother and grandmother, imparting her wisdom toward many aspects of life. In one of those aspects she had no peer. Maria was truly a genius in the kitchen and anyone who ever ate a memorable meal in her home was happier for it. Maria was predeceased by her husband Tony and all of her seven siblings, two brothers and five sisters. She is survived by her three children - Luigi, Riccardo (Sandra) and Rita (George) Mingo Johnson, her grandchildren Stephanie, Leandra, Michela, Sabrina and Adriana, four great-grandchildren, as well as numerous nieces and nephews, some of whom reside in Italy, Argentina and the U.S. Many thanks to the Family Care staff at St. Boniface Hospital, who looked after Maria for several weeks before she moved to the Misericordia Health Centre. As well, we'd like to thank the kind and generous staff at that facility. Thanks also to the numerous Home Care individuals who have assisted her throughout the years. Prayers will be held at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 15, at Desjardins Funeral Chapel, 357 Des Meurons St. The Mass of the Resurrection will take place at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at the Holy Rosary Church, 510 River Ave. with Fr. Sam Argenziano presiding. Interment will be at Glen Lawn Memorial Gardens and a reception will follow at Desjardins Funeral Chapel. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Society of Manitoba. Condolences may be sent to www.desjardinsfuneralchapel.ca Salon Mortuaire Desjardins Funeral Chapel 233-4949 Toll free 1-888-233-4949 www.desjardinsfuneralchapel.ca
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on July 14, 2012
Guest Book(6 entries)
- Rita, I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. I remember your parents and Aunt Antonia and Uncle Louie visiting the farm and the joy it brought my parents. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families during this difficult time.
- Posted by: toni (mingo) moody (daughter of u.s. cousin tony mingo) on: Jul 19, 2012
- Adele and I want to forward our sincere condolences to the Mingo family. I will remember her as being such a gracious and loving mother and grandparent. Sorry for her loss.
- Posted by: Earl Primeau (Friend of family) on: Jul 17, 2012
- It is with great sadness that we hear of your mother's passing, Rita. Our condolences to you and your family at this time. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
- Posted by: Mario, Marlene, Anna, Giulia, Aurelio Toneguzzi (Friends) on: Jul 15, 2012
- Dear Luigi, Riccardo, Rita and families. Please accept our sincere condolences at the passing of your loving mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother, Maria. I cherish the fond memories of the happy times spent at Zia Maria's house during my childhood years. I will always remember Zia Maria's love, patience and kindness with admiration and affection. Our love and thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Graziella & Ed Desautels (Grestoni)
- Posted by: Graziella & Ed Desautels & family (Family) on: Jul 14, 2012
- My heartfelt condolences go out to Luigi, Riccardo, Rita and families. I am so sorry to hear of your Mom passing away and also very sorry that I can’t be at her funeral. I have so many fond memories of Zia Maria, mainly sitting around their kitchen table or over a lovely meal in their dining room. I also remember fondly staying at their house with my sister as a little girl for a few days. It has always been so lovely to visit her whenever I have come back to Canada over the last 15 years for visits. My most recent memory of her is her holding my first baby girl on my last trip to Canada. I am so happy that I was able to see her one last time and that she was able to meet one of my children. Zia will always hold a special place in my heart. Thinking of all of you at this difficult time, Christine Adamson (Mingo)
- Posted by: Christine Adamson (Family) on: Jul 14, 2012
- My heartfelt feelings on the loss of your wonderful Mother, Grandmother and Greatgrandmother.
She must of been a very special person,loving and kind. G'd took her so softly and with such love that he truly wanted her with him in heaven.
May G'd bless you all as he has blessed her.
- Posted by: Maureen Anderson (Friend of family) on: Jul 13, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.