AA larger | smaller
WILLIAM HAROLD MCCONNELL October 27, 1919 - August 3, 2012 It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of our dear father, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend, William McConnell on August 3, 2012. William was predeceased by his wife Isabel in 1997. He will be dearly missed by his daughters Sandy (Richard) and Debbie (Dave); grand-children Michael, Paul (Jodi), Shelley (Christian), Laura (Mike), Meghan and Gus; great-grandchildren Lucy, Maxim and Isabelle Dad served as a pilot in the Second World War in England with The Canadian Air Force. This subsequently led to his career as an air traffic controller. He married our mother (Isabel) on July 16, 1945 and together they raised two daughters. Dad had a generous nature and a wonderful sense of humour. Although William enjoyed his involvement with the Lions, Mason's and Shriners, Saturday morning breakfast with the guys, golf and curling, his greatest joy was spending time with his grandchildren and great-grandchildren whom he loved dearly. Family was very important to dad, evidenced by the fact that he never missed a single birthday, special moment or event and he was always there for us no matter what. A service celebrating the life of this special man will be held 2:00 p.m. Sunday, August 12 at Glen Lawn Funeral Home, 455 Lagimodiere Blvd. In lieu of flowers, donations in William's memory would be appreciated to the Alzheimer Society of Manitoba, 10-120 Donald St., Winnipeg, MB R3C 9Z9 or Heart and Stroke Foundation in Manitoba, 6 Donald St., Winnipeg, MB R3L 0K6. Family and friends may sign a Book of Condolence at www.glenlawn.ca. Glen Lawn Funeral Home 982-7550
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 07, 2012
Guest Book(6 entries)
- Condolences to all the famliy from Joyce and I.
I had the pleasure of working with Bill, and learning a lot about air traffic control from this fine gentleman. For many years until I transferred to the Pacific Region. He and Isabel were good people, always friendly and fun. Bill will not be forgotten.
- Posted by: Al Chance (Former Co-worker, friend.) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Having had an air traffic controller parent myself, I can just see the relief the game of golf at the Canoe Club provided. Speaking for my father, Henry (Hank) Batt, following an errant or wayward shot, the utterance of "hell's bells" or "balls" must have been cathartic as well! I remember these phrases being used on other occasions as well. My brother Harv and I will fondly remember being allowed to partake in "Wild Bill's" retirement roast. My condolences, Sandy,Debbie and your respective families on his passing. I liked your father a lot. My wife, Eileen is compiling a gallery of fotos from Dad's 35mm slides and would be happy to pass on some pics of the house parties they went to in the 50's and 60's. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Prior commitments prevent me from attending your Dad's service. Be well.
- Posted by: Ken Batt (families grew up together) on: Aug 11, 2012
- Our condolences and best wishes to Debbie and her family. We only met Bill a few times when we visited Winnipeg.
- Posted by: Garry and Pam Stasiuk (Debbie is our sister-in-law) on: Aug 10, 2012
- It was always a pleasure to work for Mr. McConnell. He was always very kind & thoughtful, and cheered up our day. Our condolences to his family, we will miss his jokes.
- Posted by: Clean & Green Team (service provider) on: Aug 9, 2012
- Worked with Bill for many years until our transfer to Pacific Region. He was a wonderful person and a great Supervisor to have on your side.
- Posted by: Jim & Dianne Allardyce (Co-Worker & friend. ) on: Aug 8, 2012
- Sincere condolences to the family. I have fond memories of the times our families spent together when we were young. Your dad was always fun to be with. Sorry that I am unable to attend the funeral as I will be out of town. Sandy you can reach me at email@example.com
- Posted by: Jean Burton (Peden) (Friend) on: Aug 7, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.