AA larger | smaller
BLAKE GORDON BROOKS It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden and unexpected passing of our beloved husband, father, and Papa on August 10, 2012, at his home at Caddy Lake, MB, at the age of 66. Blake was predeceased by his brother Harry, mother Grace Brooks, and father Ernie Brooks. He will be lovingly remembered by his wife of 40 years, Christa (Olbrich), daughters Amber (Doug) Schick of Invermere, B.C., and Chelsey (Dave) Tidmarsh of Calgary, AB, as well as his precious grandchildren Karson and Kadie Schick and Walker and Tevy Tidmarsh. He is also survived by brothers Clive (Judy) Brooks and Ron (Jackie) Brooks and sister June Lotecki along with many nieces and nephews. Also left to cherish his memory is mother-in-law Maria Olbrich. Blake was born in Killarney, MB, on February 27, 1946, but grew up in Selkirk. He worked for over 30 years at Manitoba Hydro both at Brandon and Selkirk Generating Stations. He enjoyed 10 happy years of retirement, spending his summers at Caddy Lake boating, fishing, barbecuing, and fixing things. He could often be seen taking his Golden Retriever Breezy for her beloved boatrides. He also loved his winters in Texas playing Texas Hold'em, playing pool, golfing, and listening to rock 'n' roll. Blake had a knack for being a kid himself, when playing with his grandchildren. He always made them laugh. He had a quick wit and loved to tease and joke with everyone. He was always concerned about others. He will be sadly missed by friends old and new. We will always treasure the happy memories of the family together at Caddy Lake this summer. Huge thanks go to the many friends and neighbours who have helped make our loss so much easier to bear. We also greatly appreciate the efforts of the Falcon Lake EMS and Southeast Whiteshell Fire Department . A private celebration of his life will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in memory of Blake to the Southeast Whiteshell Fire Department, Box 88, West Hawk Lake, MB, R0E 2H0 Alcock Funeral Home, Keewatin, Ontario email@example.com Ph. 807-547-6000
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 18, 2012
Guest Book(23 entries)
- Krista and family, we are very shocked to hear of your loss. We remember fun times in our early years at BGS, dances, parties, ballgames etc. Keep strong .... you have many happy memories of fun times together.
Sincerely, John and Fran Hawkins
- Posted by: John and Fran Hawkins (co - worker at BGS) on: Sep 27, 2012
- We were stunned to read of Blake's passing while camping in Kenora (attending Sharon's niece's wedding). We offer our sincere condolences and hope that knowing we share your sorrow and that you are in our thoughts will help you heal. We hope to see you at VP this winter.
Ed and Sharon Baetz
- Posted by: Ed and Sharon Baetz (friends from VP, Texas) on: Sep 7, 2012
- Christa we were saddened and shocked to hear that Blake had passed away.
We had such a wonderful visit with you both in the aisle at Safeway and will always remember the warm hugs we received.
We wish we could hug you now! You and your family are always in our prayers.
Love, Ernie & Louise
- Posted by: Ernie & Louise Blahitka on: Sep 6, 2012
- I know Gail has talked to you on the phone but we would like to give you our condolences. We just had our 5th wheel and on the fridge is a picture of you and Blake and of course Blake is doing something a little different. He couldn't believe that he could have so much fun at VP at least you did wait till you were 65 to start your retirement. Stan & Gail Alberta
- Posted by: Gail & Stan Nordstrom (Friends from VP 05 to 08) on: Sep 4, 2012
- BLake's sudden passing was a shock. We would like to express are deepest sympathies to Christa and family.
- Posted by: Leo & Lorraine LeTourneau on: Sep 2, 2012
- WOW...I couldn't believe what I read!! Christa, I am so so sorry to hear of Blake passing! I just got chills when I read the news. I (and Bob..missing him so) have such good memories of Blake...I know he loved those Tues. Hold'em games like Bob did. I certainly will always remember his smile and his cheerfulness. As for you, Christa...stay strong...you have your family to get through this...I wish I could help you in some way...I miss our times in Texas...I miss my friends down there. Send me an e-mail and I can add you to my address book and we can communicate through that...or do I already have your e-mail address...anyhow...sending you and your family many sympathies and prayers for helping you heal through all this....take care and know that I am certainly thinking of you!!!
- Posted by: Cindy Whetstone (Texas friend/once neighbors at VP on Cambridge Str.) on: Aug 28, 2012
- So very sad to hear of Blake's passing, Christa..Dave has such fond memories of working with Blake and says he was always such a fun loving guy always happy and joking. He still remembers going to Blake's mom's to have half a pumpkin pie!! We remember the good old days when Blake lived with Ken B and Ken R and the parties they had at Argyle courts. We remember him meeting you Christa; the love of his life. We were all so young and in love. Lots of good times at Hydro dances too! We send you our heartfelt sympathy and will pray for you and your family.
Sincerely, Dave and Jennifer Tegg. (Brandon)
- Posted by: Dave and Jennifer Tegg (Brandon generating station coworker ) on: Aug 26, 2012
- We were so sad to hear of our dear friends passing. We will remember the fun we had in Texas that one winter, and also growing up in Selkirk, when Rick and Blake always had such fun times. Our deepest Sympathy Christa to you and the family. He was a very special man, with a heart of gold.
- Posted by: Doug & Maureen Wiebe (Friend) on: Aug 25, 2012
- We were shocked and saddened to hear of the sudden and premature passing of Blake. Our thoughts are with you and your family.
- Posted by: Maggi & Larry Flett (Texas Friends) on: Aug 23, 2012
- I am so sorry to hear about your loss!! Blake was a great guy and he was always there to help anyone especially my dad (Lorne Metzler) and I am totally grateful for everything he has done for us and our family in a time of need!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time!! Our condolences to the family!!
- Posted by: Darryl Metzler (Friend) on: Aug 23, 2012
- Christa my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Blake was an outstanding man and the good times we had while building your home in Caddy will stay with me forever.
- Posted by: James Girden (friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Christa, We are so sorry for your loss. We always enjoyed chatting with Blake at the pool. You and your family are in our prayers.
- Posted by: Jerry and Cecilia Kaelin (Friends) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Deeply saddened by this sudden loss, there are no words that can sum up our feelings for you and your family. Years ago we had good laughs together and those happy memories will always remain. Time will help, but the loss remains. Thinking of you and your family. love Gundi and family
- Posted by: Cuénoud, Gundi (friend) on: Aug 22, 2012
- Christa and family....please accept our sympathies. We will miss his smiling face around the park. Christa, we look forward to seeing you back at the park....your friends will be there to help you through these difficult times.
- Posted by: Larry & Martha Schmitt (Friends from Texas RV Park) on: Aug 21, 2012
- Sorry sorry for your loss. Having gone through the same loss myself I know what a difficult time this must be for you and the girls. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Blake was a great guy.
- Posted by: Gail Martel (Friend) on: Aug 20, 2012
- CHRISTA AND FAMILY, SO VERY SORRY FOR YOUR GREAT LOSS. REMEMBERING THE GREAT TIMES WE HAD WITH YOU IN TEXAS. OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
- Posted by: RAY AND JEAN LEBLANC (FRIENDS FROM TEXAS) on: Aug 20, 2012
- Christa: When you moved in on Manchester we were so fortunate to get to know both you and Blake. Blake was the quiet one - Christa we could always hear your laugh. Then you moved to Cambridge and we followed a couple years later. Our only regret is that we didn't spend more time visiting - but, we could still hear your laugh and Blake's music. Know that when you come back to Texas, you have lots of friends and Mac and I will be there to help with whatever you need. We sure will miss Blake too.
- Posted by: Mac & Judi McClellan (Winter Texan Friends) on: Aug 20, 2012
- So sorry, Christa, to hear about your sudden loss. Blake will be missed by many. Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
- Posted by: Ross and Jean Burrows (Friends (Texas)) on: Aug 20, 2012
- I always enjoyed working with Blake.
I remember when he bought that fast back car
in brandon; and also his first house.
Blake was a good man and a gentleman
my condolences to the family
- Posted by: george beck calgary (friend and brandon gen.sta. co worker) on: Aug 19, 2012
- Christa & family: we are also deeply saddened by Blake's departure. In the few short years we knew him, we came to love him too. All of the Cambridge Street gang will miss his big grin, his chuckle and his great wit.
- Posted by: Barb Tiessen & Bob Stephens (Texas friends) on: Aug 19, 2012
- Although we have not been in touch in recent times.
It is with much sadness to hear the news of Blake's passing.
Our thoughts are with you at this time.
We remember fondly times we spent together.
Regards the Battison family.
- Posted by: Lesley and Adrian Battison (Friends) on: Aug 19, 2012
- I`ll sure miss my golfing buddy when in Tx------So shocked to hear about his sudden passing---- He was a great guy, and good friend.. Thinking about you Christa,, God Bless you and your family as you come to terms with your loss-- luv from Al & Jane Vandenakker
- Posted by: Al & Jane Vandenakker (Friends ) on: Aug 18, 2012
- our deepest sympathies to you Christa and your family
- Posted by: Ralph and Liz Hogue on: Aug 18, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.