AA larger | smaller
DOUGLAS W.S. EVANS July 21, 1950 - August 27, 2012 Doug passed away unexpectedly on Monday, August 27, 2012, at the age of 62 years, with family by his side in Kenora, Ontario -- his second home. Douglas was born in Winnipeg on July 21, 1950. He was predeceased by his father Gurney, mother Lillian and sister Jane. He is survived by his wife, Doreen (Draffin), daughters, Lisa (Jacob Fehr), Tara, and step-children, Jennifer, Christopher (Beatriz), Pamela, and Jonathan Faircloth. He is also survived by his pride and joy, his nine grandchildren; Mia and Sam, Joshua, Micah, and Chloe, Sarah and Elisabeth, Ethan and Liam. Dad shared a special bond with his chosen family; Hannah, Tony, Yanna, Jacquie and Elliott. Raised in Winnipeg, Doug attended Grosvenor, St. John's Ravenscourt and Kelvin High Schools and the Collegiate at United College. Doug married Doreen in 1998, and together they formed a large circle of friends in the recovery and diving communities. Dad was a big man, with a big heart, and a larger than life sense of humour. He had many passions, his family, good food, music, and trading stories. His passions often fueled his career and scuba diving was no exception. One Stop Diving was more than a workplace but a gathering place for divers and friends alike. The family would like to extend our deepest appreciation to the divers, first responders, and medical staff at Falcon and West Hawk Lakes and the Lake of the Woods District Hospital. Your care, compassion and dedication meant so very much to our family. A celebration of his life will take place at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31 at Neil Bardal Funeral Centre, 3030 Notre Dame Ave. (across from Brookside Cemetery). In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Amant Center, Heart Stroke Foundation or a charity of your choice. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE 204-949-2200 nbardal.mb.ca
As published in the Winnipeg Free Press on August 30, 2012
Guest Book(21 entries)
- We always had so much fun diving with Doug. We are so sorry to hear of his passing. Our condolences to his family.
- Posted by: Reg and Judi Oswald (Friends and fellow divers with Doug) on: Nov 4, 2013
- I went to Canada twice over 15 years ago. I recently found his book tales from a town with a funny name in my collection, he had a sense of humour, different for us English guys to cope with but when I read this recently it did make me laugh, good writer, not many around with a sense of humour like this guy Justin Greenwood
- Posted by: Justin Greenwood (none) on: Nov 18, 2012
- A huge loss as I just recently found out. The memories I have of Doug will last forever as he positively impacted my life when I needed help the most.
He IS AWESOME!
God Bless ya pal!
- Posted by: Joe Marcoux (Friend and Mentee) on: Oct 1, 2012
- I am so saddened to hear of Doug's passing. My heart is so heavy to hear the news. My daughter Andrea and Doug became good friends. Andrea helped Doug teach his students how to scuba dive. He was a terrific fellow, so generous and so kind and lots of fun. When Andrea was leaving to go to Mexico, I asked Doug if he could bring his BBQ, for her good bye party, as mine was on its last leg, and not only did he say of course!! ... but he went out and bought a new BBQ to bring over to the house..That was Doug! I shall miss his warm smile and his kindness.
To Doreen and his family and to his many friends, my heart felt condolences.. Alison
- Posted by: Alison Lievana (friend) on: Sep 8, 2012
- I never met a Doug I didnt like. And Doug Evans was no exception. The loss of his cheerful laugh and sunny demeanor will make my world a darker place. I`ll miss you.
- Posted by: Douglas Stanzel on: Sep 2, 2012
- Doug was one of a kind. I love him so much. He will be sorely missed by many.
- Posted by: Ronnie G on: Sep 1, 2012
- We enjoyed our best Customer and all the fine jokes and advise. We miss you already! But you are in good company. Our sincere condolences to Doreen and Family
- Posted by: Norm and Peggy Van Elslander (Van goes Pizza & Chicken) on: Sep 1, 2012
- Doug and I grew up just blocks away from each other. We were high school and Winter Club buddies. I visited him at "One Stop" a couple of years ago. While it had been over 20 years since our last meeting, he was as upbeat and welcoming as ever. We spent over a half hour chatting and reminiscing - like no time at all had passed between friends.
News of of his passing saddened me as those visits will not happen again. My thoughts are with his family as you adjust to life without a larger-than-life, one-in-a-million guy.
- Posted by: ken davidson (old friend) on: Sep 1, 2012
- His loss will be felt here but can you imagine Doug's spirit unleashed in the universe? Amazing!
- Posted by: Colleen K. (friend) on: Aug 31, 2012
- Please accept our deepest sympathies on the passing of Doug. He was a wonderful person, a good friend to all and an original. Bless bless. Dan Johnson and family.
- Posted by: Dan Johnson (Friend) on: Aug 31, 2012
- My thoughts and prayers are with Doreen and with Doug's family at this very sad time. Richard and I have shared many momentous occasions with Doug and Doreen and I have been recalling them this week - our weddings, our kids' weddings, birthdays, orphan Christmas dinners and many other joyful occasions which I will always cherish. Doug will be missed.
- Posted by: Carolyn Pullano (friend) on: Aug 31, 2012
- Doug was an amazing person he gave everything of himself to anyone who needed a hand. That picture is amazing and captures the true essence of who and what Doug was all about. I miss you my friend...
- Posted by: Pamela (aka Pammy) (Good Friend) on: Aug 31, 2012
- I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and Doreen in Kenora a few weeks ago while visiting friends.
That evening we enjoyed great company, food, and stories about their travels, grandchildren and of course diving. It feels strange to have met someone for the first time, then read of Doug's passing. My condolences to you Doreen and your extended families.
- Posted by: Laurie Gyde on: Aug 30, 2012
- Dear Doreen: We are so saddened by and so sorry for your great loss. Doug was truly one of the great ones and will be missed by all who were touched by him.
Our sincere condolences to you and your family and much, much love.
Barbara, Ken, Kaari and Anders
- Posted by: Barbara Romuld and Ken Sinnaeve (Friends) on: Aug 30, 2012
- Doug thanks for showing me how to dive. You made it interesting and fun at the same time. Thanks for your years of friendship as diver. See you on the bottom, again some day. Joanne
- Posted by: Joanne Legge (Student ) on: Aug 30, 2012
- Doug was a good friend and will be sorely missed. The world has lost a truly good man.
- Posted by: Randy & Davina Mason (Friends) on: Aug 30, 2012
- He was a walking example how to live in recovery
- Posted by: Leo Savoie (Friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- To Lisa & Tara. I still have very fond memories of you and your Dad. We enjoyed a lot of fun times and I know you'll miss him. He was always so proud of the two of you. Thinking of you, Brenda Essery
- Posted by: Brenda Essery (friend from the past) on: Aug 30, 2012
- A larger than life character that should you have met him and spent any time with him. You'll smile at the mere mention of his name.
He touched countless lives and were all better off for it. Boy will he be missed!
- Posted by: Anthony Rowan (Longtime friend,squash and ski partner) on: Aug 30, 2012
- My condolences Doreen. Doug was a good and kind man. He always made me laugh. He also challenged my thoughts which inevitably led to some really interesting discussions. This was usually in the space of 10 min. in front of the Super Store. He will be missed.
My thoughts and prayers go to you and your children.
- Posted by: maureen scott (old friend) on: Aug 30, 2012
- As an esteemed colleague of Olafson Agency, our family grew up daily interacting with Doug for many years. Always quick witted and great sense of humour. I laugh at some of the "colourful" conversations that used to emit out of that basement office on Bannatyne Avenue. I am so very sad to hearing this news of Doug's passing. Certainly taken way too early. He will be missed and my thoughts of condolence are with his family. RIP DW.
- Posted by: Charlene Gobert (Olafson) (Friend ) on: Aug 30, 2012
Share your memories and/or express your condolences below. Fields marked with a * are required. All others are optional.
Tributes will be moderated for inappropriate content before displaying on the passage and may take up to 24 hours to appear.